Please rate these oils based on these stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please rate these oils. Which would you use under which conditions? (Sorry for the vertical post: I tried to do a table but font wasn't cooperating.)

Oil 1
cSt@40°C 49
cSt@100° 8.8
Vis. Index 161
Flash Pt.°F 365

Oil 2
cSt@40°C 49.5
cSt@100° 8.7
Vis. Index 156
Flash Pt.°F 455

Oil 3
cSt@40°C 64
cSt@100° 10.9
Vis. Index 161
Flash Pt.°F 455

Oil 4
cSt@40°C 54.5
cSt@100° 10.0
Vis. Index 175
Flash Pt.°F 450

Oil 5
cSt@40°C 53.2
cSt@100° 9.5
Vis. Index 168
Flash Pt.°F 455

Well, if I had to pick a durable looking oil out the five choices, I'd pick oil number four for its high vis index and its solid 30 weight at 100 degree F viscosity. I'm not yet satisfied that the 20 weight oils will provide good protection over the long haul. Time will tell. I'm not stuck in the mud; I only want to see a reasonable track record with those lightweight oils.

Rate them according to what standard?

1. Application
2. Viscosity
3. FlashPoint
5. tbn, VI, etc.

What is the engine size and clearances, year, appplication, driving habits.

Both 4 and 3 look decent for a 30 weight oil, good viscosity indexes and high flashpoints. For 20 weight oil, #5 looks decent because of the higher Viscosity and high flashpoint.

I'd run a 0w-30 synthetic like Mobil 1 in these ford motors ...all the oils you posted look very average to me. Ford calls for a 5w-20, so the 0w-30 "brackets" this recommendation ....

TooSlick

Rate them this way: Which one would you run in a new (
Mixed city/highway driving.

Four season weather, avg. winter low 35, extreme of 25. Avg. summer high 90, extreme 102.

YZF150,

I still have alot of faith in Ford's recommendation of the 5W20 oil. I have seen analysis of Motorcraft 15W40, and the 5W20 is made by the same company, Conoco. This was on the last MSDS I have seen, but was 3 months ago. I would personally use the #2 oil as the specs listed are reasonable for VI, pumping, and a good flash point.

I like the # 2 oil for your Ford. Besides I heard it gets cold in ***
wink.gif

I agree with Vetteman and will add Ford might be dumb but sure ain't stupid. Conoco knows how to make a oil as well.Ford chose a good supplier and any of the different wts in the Motorcraft lineup are above average hydrocracked formulated oils imo.

[ January 13, 2003, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

During the warranty, or at least for the first year or so I would run the 5w20, so I'd go with oil 1 or 2 (leaning towards 2 because of it's much better flashpoint) Keeping in mind also that these limited stats aren't telling us very much about the oil, a virgin analysis would tell much more and a used analysis tells us the most.

I know a lot of people are uncomfortable running 5w20 but so far the UOAs look good. I wouldn't run 5w20 in a loose clearance high mileage engine, but in a new tight engine that normally might've used 5w30 before, I think 5w20 is safe. Give it a chance.

How do you rank oils with respect to cranking viscosity, flash and viscosity index numbers only? Obviously what you're showing are oils of differing viscosities. So who can say that one viscosity is better than the next?

You can only compare oils of the same viscosity when ranking them...one better than the next. Inter-viscosity comparisons are only for suitability of one oil over the next for your particular application.

YZF150, Not enough info to make a intelligent decision. A few physical specs a good oil does not make.

For instance I've seen lower flash point oils volatize less in actual use than a competitor with high Flash but doesn't lubricate as well in a particular engine.

Most of us can't afford to buy or access the kind of testing that would answer your question accurately. So I recommend making your best choice then analyzing it periodically to confirm your choice.

Its usually pretty safe to agree with Jerry-so I will
grin.gif
. In general its good to have a high flash point, because that gives you a measure of protection when bad things happen. And you would assume that those oils with a higher flash point would have lower volatility and apparantly that is not always the case. I have also noticed that in looking at oil specs. The viscosity is merely a measure of the the relative change in viscosity between 40C and 100C. If the oil breaks down these numbers may degrade even after a short period. I personally would not use either of the first two oils, since they are 20 wt. . But that's just me. So it really all boils down to how often you want to change and do you want the added protection when bad things happen. This will require a synthetic or a Shaffer's Blend (or their Pure Syn-which I now am using).

It all boils down to which oil works in your vehicle. For not a whole lot of money I guess you just need to decide what you really want in an oil-Long life and more protection or the 3K oil change stuff. If you want the 3K stuff, the Chevron, TropArtic, and GTX have given good results if you look at the oil analysis section.

Originally posted by Terry:
[QB] YZF150, Not enough info to make a intelligent decision. A few physical specs a good oil does not make.
--------------------------------------------------
Thats a interesting post there considering the topic post was,
"please rate these oils based on these stats"

At least he is looking far enough ahead not to pick the prettiest bottle,run up the miles then use a analysis service or not use one ?

The data sheets is a very good starting point.

Data sheets are a start, but tell us nothing about the additive package, base oils, etc.

With the limited information, I would tend toward the highest viscosity oil at 100 C, since film thickness varies with viscosity as a general rule, and then work through each one using oil analysis to determine the least wear values for each.

In all honesty I didn't feel comfortable leading someone towards using a product without knowing more about it.

I don't always answer the question exactly the way it may be framed when asked.

That has served me well throughout years of analyzing data when no one else could figure out the correct answer to a problem.

So since every post has not been read like I have, he has a new Ford and lives in a very cold climate

I think the #2 two oil is best for all year service.

Topic starter name those oils please!
wink.gif

I know what they are!
smile.gif

He PM'd me, and I know #1 is 5w20 Motorcraft and #2 is 5w20 Royal Purple.

#3 is Royal Purple 5w30, #4 is Mobil 1 0w30, #5 is M1 5w30.

[ January 14, 2003, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

The Motorcraft oil is the first generation that is no longer made,,it appears the data came off the website. I would expect the second generation current offering 5/20 Motorcraft to out perform the # 1 oil listed which is this:

SAE Grade 5W-20

API Service SJ / EC
Gravity, ºAPI 35.0
Specific Gravity, @ 60ºF (15.5ºC) 0.852
Density, lb/gal 7.10
Flash Point, COC, ºF(ºC) 365(185)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 40ºC 49
cSt @ 100ºC 8.8
Viscosity Index 161
HT/HS Viscosity, cP @ 150ºC 2.65
Pour Point, ºF(ºC) -49 (-45)
Sulfated Ash, Wt. % 0.94
Total Base Number (TBN) 7.5
ASTM Color 4.0

Patman published the list and it is correct:

Oil 1 = Motorcraft syn blend 5w-20
Oil 2 = Royal Purple 5w-20
Oil 3 = Royal Purple 5w-30
Oil 4 = M1 0w-30
Oil 5 = M1 5w-30

I'm approaching 3000 miles on a new engine and am going to go with one of these oils. I'm going to use something a little beefier at temperature than a 20 weight, despite Ford's recommendation. The vehicle is a new F-150, 4.2 V6. They recommended 5w-30 for this engine, and the 3.8 before that, for years until they needed to up the CAFE ratings overall. I'm inclined to believe that what was good before would still hold, strictly in terms of longevity of engine.

Even though it will be synthetic oil that I use, I will still change at 4-5000 miles. I'm really not interested in seeing, with analysis, how far I can push it. It's not an issue of economics but one of confidence once I get a baseline. I may test at 4000 just to see where I'm at, but I'd rather just change earlier and feel better about it than be worrying about it somewhere out on the extreme of the life of the oil.

I'm leaning toward the RP 5w-30. I started another post (Roger Maris) in which I was trying to get some insight into the M1 0w-30. I think that that one is second choice. We'll see how that thread develops.

I expect to be using a K&N filter, as well, for what appears to be a good balance between filtration efficiency (10-15uM) and oil flow. It's very well built, also.

I really appreciate all of the feedback. The civility and level of intellectual engagement in these pages is delightful.

[ January 15, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: YZF150 ]

RP 5w30 should be just fine. Why not give it a try. If you beleive 0w30 is more stable than the 5w30...I've got this bridge...
grin.gif
Seriously it is not economically feasible for M1 to build a oil with no VII. I'd bet that even 10w30 has a little bit. Enter the specialty oils...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back