Please help me choose a epoxy putty

I am working on a prototype of a design of something that in the future may be made out of plastic in high quantity with injection molding. A part that I need to make for it has several complex curves and angles but for now I could make it by pressing some kind of mold-able clay like epoxy against some of the parts it will be working with, and forming other sections of it by hand or with some tools, if the clay like epoxy will:

1) not sag or droop after I form it, so that when it cures it is still in the same shape even though it will be free standing without support on several sides after it is formed.
2) will harden into something similar to a piece of rigid plastic when it cures.
3) will not shrink, or expand from the time it is formed to after it is cured.

It does not have to be a epoxy (2 part) product, it could be something that air drys, as long as it meets all the requirements.

I looked online, and found a large number of products that might work, I am wondering which ones will actually meet all the requirements?

These are what I have found:

1) Aves Apoxie Sculpt 1Lb $20.00
2) Blick art material
3) Htf epoxy putty stick
4) Rector Seal EP--200 2oz Epoxy Putty Stick
5) JB weld waterweld white epoxy putty
6) JB weld steel stick weld epoxy compound
7) Gorilla all purpose epoxy compound 4242501 at homedepo and amazon
8) PC Products 25567 PC Marine Moldable
9) Alvin 12 oz lab metal repair putty
10) Loctite 2 oz all purpose epoxy putty
11) GSI Creos Mr. Epoxy Putty Pro-L
12) Visbella Epoxy Putty Stick Moldable
13) Rockler J-B Weld Kwik Wood Epoxy
14) Milliput Silver Gray Epoxy Putty 113 g Pack
15) Por-15 49033 Epoxy Putty 1 Lb
16) Pro-Bond Epoxy Putty
17) Oatey Fix-it stick epoxy putty
18) Blue Magic Quicksteel Epoxy Putty 2 oz $6.99 @ autozone auto parts
19) Loctite 64856 Epoxy Putty all purpose 2 oz
20) Free Form Sculpt Epoxy Putty trial size $35.43 @ walmart amx3d.inc
21) Plastic Weld JB Weld 8237 plastic repair epoxy putty @ amazon
22) Loctite 1999131 All Purpose Perair Puty 2 oz @ Amazon
23) KwikWood Epoxy Putty 1 oz
24) Sugru original formula black 3
25) Mohawk epoxy stick black (20 minute) kingsport wood

I am thinking numbers 1 or 20 may be the best choice for something that will not sag between the time it is formed and it hardens, but I am open to suggestions about what might work best.

There may be others that I am not aware of. Based on your experiences what do you think would be the best product for this application? Please tell me what you think will work best for this application, and if you have actual experiences using the product you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited:
I personally have experience with the JB weld water weld putty. It set up, didn't shrink and fixed leaking plastic and metal pipes till we were able to get plumbers in months later.

I just used a two part epoxy putty to fix my swimming pool, but can't give you the exact brand. I can tell you this much. It was two part, blue and white, but when mixed ended up pure white. It was easy to work with and mix, very little odor. It molded well, and had good body. Once hardened it would be sandable to a smooth surface.
It would cure underwater (hence, the main reason I used it)
Did not droop or sag.
Had good working life, like 30 minutes.
Adhered tightly to a smooth wet surface, would probably need a mold release agent.
Got it at True Value Hardware.

If I were to guess at a brand name, it would likely be #18 on your list.
Just remembered that I kept the reciept. It is listed as 2 OZ Marine Epoxy Putty @ 6.99 item # 263936

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I am working on a prototype of a design of something that in the future may be made out of plastic in high quantity with injection molding. A part that I need to make for it has several complex curves and angles but for now I could make it by pressing some kind of mold-able clay like epoxy against some of the parts it will be working with, and forming other sections of it by hand or with some tools, if the clay like epoxy will:

1) not sag or droop after I form it, so that when it cures it is still in the same shape even though it will be free standing without support on several sides after it is formed.
2) will harden into something similar to a piece of rigid plastic when it cures.
3) will not shrink, or expand from the time it is formed to after it is cured.

It does not have to be a epoxy (2 part) product, it could be something that air drys, as long as it meets all the requirements.

I looked online, and found a large number of products that might work, I am wondering which ones will actually meet all the requirements?

These are what I have found:

1) Aves Apoxie Sculpt 1Lb $20.00
2) Blick art material
3) Htf epoxy putty stick
4) Rector Seal EP--200 2oz Epoxy Putty Stick
5) JB weld waterweld white epoxy putty
6) JB weld steel stick weld epoxy compound
7) Gorilla all purpose epoxy compound 4242501 at homedepo and amazon
8) PC Products 25567 PC Marine Moldable
9) Alvin 12 oz lab metal repair putty
10) Loctite 2 oz all purpose epoxy putty
11) GSI Creos Mr. Epoxy Putty Pro-L
12) Visbella Epoxy Putty Stick Moldable
13) Rockler J-B Weld Kwik Wood Epoxy
14) Milliput Silver Gray Epoxy Putty 113 g Pack
15) Por-15 49033 Epoxy Putty 1 Lb
16) Pro-Bond Epoxy Putty
17) Oatey Fix-it stick epoxy putty
18) Blue Magic Quicksteel Epoxy Putty 2 oz $6.99 @ autozone auto parts
19) Loctite 64856 Epoxy Putty all purpose 2 oz
20) Free Form Sculpt Epoxy Putty trial size $35.43 @ walmart amx3d.inc
21) Plastic Weld JB Weld 8237 plastic repair epoxy putty @ amazon
22) Loctite 1999131 All Purpose Perair Puty 2 oz @ Amazon
23) KwikWood Epoxy Putty 1 oz
24) Sugru original formula black 3
25) Mohawk epoxy stick black (20 minute) kingsport wood

I am thinking numbers 1 or 20 may be the best choice for something that will not sag between the time it is formed and it hardens, but I am open to suggestions about what might work best.

There may be others that I am not aware of. Based on your experiences what do you think would be the best product for this application? Please tell me what you think will work best for this application, and if you have actual experiences using the product you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Look at WestMarine for some epoxy putty.

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=epoxy+putty

Thanks for the reply's so far. I did experiment with making silicon molds and casting parts with a very thin acrylic that I bought from Micro-Mart many years ago. I remember making a release agent out of a mix of Vaseline + dish washing soap + some water. It worked good when making the silicon molds. I will either use a release agent or maybe wrap the part the epoxy putty goes against in a layer of the the stretchable plastic wrap normally used in a kitchen.

I have used some epoxy that came in a stick of two putties side by side with a lot of copper in it and that stuff worked great and was fairly solid after it was mixed, before it dried. Something like that that will not sag or run before it cures is what I need.

Hot glue gun? Otherwise JB Weld has always performed well for all that I have asked it to do. The original two part putty.

Marine Tex is one product I did not notice on your list. Its been too long since I used it to give a review.

I thicken epoxy resin with various fillers to get the consistency and attributes i desire.

Microballoons
Milled glass fiber
fumed silica/Cab o Sil
Wood flour.
Many other thixotropic agents exist.

The wood flour is the dust my belt sander collects and the finer grit the better the flour.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Fillers/fillers.html

read 'the epoxy book' by system 3 resins

https://www.systemthree.com/pages/literature.

Section VII C Modifying Epoxy With Fillers.

One thing about epoxy, is Part A and part B must be mixed completely to the right ratio, to achieve the full properties of the cured epoxy. Polyester Bondo, is more tolerant of improper amounts of catalyst and unthorough mixing.

Epoxy's impressive bond strength can sometimes make it hard to remove from a mold,. even a well polished one filled with layers of mold release agent .

Best of luck in your project.

I went on the True Value Hardware web site and entered in the part no JohnG suggested and researched that product and the company that makes it is Protective Coatings Co and I looked up their phone number and will call them tomorrow and ask them if the item 263936 PC-Marine Marine Epoxy Repair Putty will work well for this application, or if there is a different product that would be better to use.

Thanks again for the replies.

"Marine Tex is one product I did not notice on your list. Its been too long since I used it to give a review."-wrcsixeight

I thought the same. It is very good stuff; strong, slow cure, relatively easy to apply and work, easy to shape after (sanding, Dremel) and won't slump, at least at the moderate thicknesses I've worked with. I just used a fair amount of it helping a friend repair a pretty good cavity chiseled out of an angled part of a boat hull when a bunk bolt came up through the (rotted) trailer bunk and did its work over a 100mi+ drive.

Back