Please help identify transmission noise

After cold start up there is a slight metal scraping noise when in drive or reverse. The noise seems to get stronger with increased engine load and fades away as the engine/trans warms up.

A quick search seems to point to a transmission issue but I could not find a concrete answer.

Car: 2010 Mazda 6 - 2.5L 5 speed auto trans

I'll check again tomorrow.

I check the trans level every oil change and it was good a few months ago. There are no leaks on the driveway.

Since we're not there to hear your noise, it's difficult to determine exactly where your noise is being generated from.
This could be anything from a rattling heat shield, sticking brakes, a half shaft or low ATF level.

FOR EXAMPLE:
My daughter's Civic in my signature was screaching ONLY when going in reverse with the steering wheel turned in either direction, like when backing out of a parking spot.

Once I determined which side the noise was coming from(it didn't sound like brakes), but I tore into the brakes and found that the noisy side's brakes were almost completely frozen in their brackets. So, I started there.

I removed the stuck pads and cleaned the area & ground the rust out of the grooves in the hold down bracket, lubed everything including the slide pins and all is well. So, I did the exact same thing to the other side even though that side was not making noise...and found that these brakes too were quite stuck in their bracket...just a matter of time.

Thank you everyone for your input. Issue appears to be resolved.

It turned out to be low on fluid. Added half a quart before cold start and the noise was gone. This is interesting because the driveway is oil free, did the fluid evaporate over time? Now I need to figure out why the level was low.

I did trans fluid changes every 40k, last one done at 120k. Last time I checked the level is when I was doing the oil change and I figured the reading would be off a little due to the car being on ramps and on an incline, but did not think much of it.

Back