Please have a look at my air filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can be found here, here.

This is a Honda Pilot and I've been chaning my engine air filter at every 20,000KM/12,500Miles. Even though the manual suggests changing it at every 24,000KM/15,000Miles interval, I figured it's something I can do on my own for a little extra protection.

However, looking at my filter now, I'm not so sure if 20,000KM/12,500Miles interval is even adequate!
shocked.gif
I didn't pay too much attention at the filter the first time I changed it, but this time around, I decided to pay a close inspection.

Tell me what you guys think. Should I have changed the filter sooner? If so, looking at my filter, at what interval would you recommend I change it at? 15,000KM/9,300Miles or even 12,000KM/7,500Miles?

A couple of questions I have are:
Looking at steep_angle_clean2.JPG and steep_angle_dirty3.JPG, it's interesting to see how the dirt only ended up settling on one side of the gills and barely on the other. Is this normal?

As well, looking at the opposite_side_dirt pictures, the other side is relatively clean. But I did find a few small spots of dirt/grease like these ones and wanted to show them to you guys. Again, is this normal or can this be considered poor filtering, or did I just wait too long before changing it? Thank you very much for your time and courtesy.

Very typical and very good Honda filter. Honda motorcycles do the same and I haven't had problems in years. Change the filter, use the expensive Honda part, and maybe clean the throttle body and any crankcase vent tube/PCV arrangement.

The condition of the filter is indicative of the driving you did since you installed it. You can't assume that every filter will be just as dirty as this one.

Which is the side facing the engine?

The dirt ends up in one spot usually because that's the spot where the majority of the air flows through. If you look at the top half of your airbox where the air goes from the filter to the throttle body, through an induction tube; the hole in the top part of the airbox connecting to the induction tube will be right over the dirtiest spot on the filter. Looks like it was definetally time to change it!

Looks fine. I actually wouldn't have changed it.
You must live in a heavily industrialized/city area though.

Thanks for the replies, guys! And Jason, yeah, up here in Alberta, we're known to be one of the most polluted city in Canada. It's all those **** oil refineries in the outskirts of the city and plus, believe it or not, this province has no emission law or controls for cars, so I often end up stuck behind POS cars that spew foul, putrid black smoke out of their butts.

Considering your environment I would probably change it earlier. Check your manuals severe service. Can only hurt the pocket, but will help the engine and possibly improve economy.

quote:

Originally posted by Lordy611:
Looks like you could also use a respirator. Imagine what your lungs look like!
shocked.gif

LOL. You're not too far off there. Alberta, particularly Edmonton has the highest asthma cases per capita in Canada and Edmonton's even higher. It's rather sad.

Changing your air filter too early does not help. Air filters actually increase in effiency as they age until you get to the point where they start overly restricting air flow.

The only way to tell if your air filter is dirty is to measure the restriction using a vaccum guage.

I have several pieces of equipment that have restriction indicators that show a red flag once the air filter restriction reaches 19 to 22 inches of water in vaccum.

Another way to tell if your air filter needs changing is if you start losing MPG and then gain it right back after the change.

quote:

Originally posted by Neil Womack:
Changing your air filter too early does not help. Air filters actually increase in effiency as they age until you get to the point where they start overly restricting air flow.

I don't exactly agree with that. No filter is perfect. Dirt will eventually work it's way through the filter and out the "clean" side. Change your filter any time you think you should.

Rip,
Are your roads sanded and salted a lot? That gets pulverized really fine by all the tires running over it and can foul a filter sooner in the winter than summer dust will.

Ken

quote:

I don't exactly agree with that. No filter is perfect. Dirt will eventually work it's way through the filter and out the "clean" side. Change your filter any time you think you should.

Ken [/QB]

mine did that exact same thing, dust came out the other side..stupid filter, and it was only there for a year.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Rip,
Are your roads sanded and salted a lot? That gets pulverized really fine by all the tires running over it and can foul a filter sooner in the winter than summer dust will.
Ken

Wow, why, you're absolutely correct. Our roads are salted and and sanded constantly during the winters. And during the spring, unfortunately, the city is always late in sweeping and cleaning all that dirt/dust/sand away as well.

I have always checked an air filter by how much light comes through with a good flashlight. If less than 1/3 of the light comes through in comparison to a new one, then I replace it. I usually begin to check a filter at every 20K mi.

For some reason Canada is very dusty
dunno.gif
. I helped my friend from Toronto change his air filter once and was shocked at how much garbage has accumulated in only 15k miles. I change my air filters every 30k to 60k miles (depending on car) and there is nowhere near that amount of dust.

A little dirt in the filter does help do the job. I agree, Neil is correct. If dirt is coming through the filter it would indicate a leak/defect/tear of some kind that was probably/possibly there all along...pressure drop across the filter (any filter) is the best way to detect blockage...the dirt will collect on the most direct flow path, but the air will continue to use the rest of the available filter area.
good pictures!
Rando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back