Playing with Electricity.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Was the wiring #10 to the 30a outlets? On my house I found a 30 amp breaker from long ago protecting #14 wire. If #10 four wire you could put in a small subpanel.

In a prior home I tried to figure what breaker a light was on and turned off every breaker one by one. Off then back on, Light never went off. Then I discovered two different circuits fed the same light. So I had to turn off 2 breaker. Who ever did the wiring was lucky (50/50 chance) that both circuits were the same leg of 220V.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
3 phase is more efficient

I don't think the power company is going to hook me up.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
What are you intending to run on the 125V 20 A GFCI? Some things do not play well with GFCI. Water heaters are notorious for being electrically leaky to the point that they can be impossible to run on a GFCI, and some motors are also bad. GFCI can save someones life when they prevent them from being electrocuted, but there are some applications where they just do not work.

If you have a particular appliance in mind to run on a GFCI it would be nice to know in advance if it can be ran on a GFCI before you want to use it.

If you're going to put a dedicated appliance on it, you don't need a GFCI. I think I looked it up in the code book. Inspector wanted me to put a GFCI in a laundry room where there wasn't even a sink and claimed that the cold and hot for the washer were enough. But I ended up putting in a single outlet dedicated to the washer so I wouldn't have to do the GFCI. There are things you don't want on a GFCI like a refrigerator. Wouldn't want that to accidentally trip and then have all your food spoil.

There USED TO BE an exception that says single outlets don't need GFCI. That exception has been removed. The current code says that EVERY outlet in a garage, basement, crawlspace, outdoors, laundry area, shed, and bathroom needs GFCI. Every single one; no exceptions! The 2020 NEC even requires 240V outlets in those areas to be GFCI protected too.

Originally Posted by whosmatt
Originally Posted by KJSmith
Half the amps at twice the voltage cost the same.

But uses half the wire.

LOL...

Originally Posted by hatt
I was able to find made in USA plates, receptacle, and plugs so that was nice. Not sure where the Square D breakers are made but I didn't have any choice in that matter. I forget to look at the breaker to see if it said anything.

I believe the Homelines are made mostly in Mexico and some 15 and 20 AMP QOs are assembled in the USA. Square D is a good brand for breakers. Only other ones I have seen with US content are GEs that are assembled in the Dominican Republic with US parts.

This reminds me of when I wanted to install a 240v receptacle in my garage to L2 charge my Volt. My garage was less than a year old when I purchased the house in 2014, and upon looking at the panel I saw that the garage was run from 2 10A breakers tied together, splitting after the main disconnect in the garage into 120v circuits for the lights and receptacles. I had an electrician come out, and he literally told me to just add a corresponding plug just before the disconnect to get 240v to an outlet. My car only draws 13A, which is well below the 80% recommended current threshold of 20A circuit breakers. I've had no issues with it in over 2 years.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
At first I thought playing with electricity was about sticking a nail in the electric outlet.

I always thought that was more about sticking a finger in the socket. Hair raising. Shouldn't be too bad if you're not well grounded.

I did grab the pull chain of a light fixture once that wasn't grounded and the pull chain was hot. I could feel the few cycles before I was able to let go. My hands were wet at the time as the fixture was right over the sink. One hand was in the water stream and the other wet hand grabbed the pull chain. Owner replaced that one pretty quick.

At first I thought playing with electricity was about sticking a nail in the electric outlet.

... and sticking one's toungue to it...

Originally Posted by Y_K

... and sticking one's toungue to it...

How else do you see if it works!

Back