Platinum Pure Plus vs. Ultra Platinum Pure Plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, looking at these two oils....

Original Platinum vs Ultra was pretty simple. GIII vs GTL. Now, not so simple.....

I know that most will say PPPP is fine as it is readily available, but that is not why we are here, right? We split hairs and are addicts.....

What are the major differences between the Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus and the Ultra Platinum Pure Plus? Is it worth seeking out the Ultra Platinum? My specific applications will be in the 0w20 grade.

Thoughts?

The real difference is in the secret sauce which no one on this forum knows, nor will it show up on a VOA report or be published in a spec sheet.

Platinum Pure Plus 10w30...

NOACK of 4.7% (if this were your main concern)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Platinum Pure Plus 10w30...

NOACK of 4.7% (if this were your main concern)

I have been paying very close attention to that number and weight as well. Considering its low temp viscosity numbers and pour point for a 10w, I am wondering.....except for the northern great plains and chunk of central Canada in winter...could this oil...do it ALL?!?!?!

Originally Posted By: Cooper
What are the major differences between the Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus and the Ultra Platinum Pure Plus? Is it worth seeking out the Ultra Platinum? My specific applications will be in the 0w20 grade.

Thoughts?

The only significant differences that I can see between the two now are that there is and will not be a Euro version of the Platinum. Before the Pure Plus, Pennzoil started with a PP Euro version of 5W-40 and then dropped it in favor of the PU Euro 5W-40. Now they just skipped ahead and went straight to the Ultra for the Euro flavors.

Other than that, overall the PPPP sees to be a bit better on paper than the PUPPP but not enough that it would be worth the hunt and expense of sourcing PUPPP.

Pat, can I buy a vowel please?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Another thing that stands out is the 100*C numbers favor Ultra, which is 8.8 versus 8.3

I guess that would depend on if you want a lighter 0w20 or a heavier 0w20.

What stands out for me, is, that the new Ultra is only rated ACEA A1/B1 and not with A5/B5 like the old one. Now, if I recall correctly, the main difference between A1 and A5, is that the A5 is shear stable and the A1 allows for some amount of shearing. I thought shearing was a thing of the past with synthetic oils. It doesn't look good from here.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
What stands out for me, is, that the new Ultra is only rated ACEA A1/B1 and not with A5/B5 like the old one. Now, if I recall correctly, the main difference between A1 and A5, is that the A5 is shear stable and the A1 allows for some amount of shearing. I thought shearing was a thing of the past with synthetic oils. It doesn't look good from here.

Not sure which viscosity you're referencing, but "Old" Ultra in 5w/20 was rated A1/B1-10. New Ultra is A1/B1-10/B1-12. The B1/12 standard was instituted in 2012 so old Ultra may have met it, but perhaps just wasn't certified.

From what one can tell from a TDS (which is far from the whole picture) new and old 5w/20 Ultra are pretty similar except new Ultra has a considerably higher MRV at -35C (9,300 vs 7,750) and much higher Noack (10.5% vs 5.0%). But on balance it's easy to conclude the new Ultra is inferior to the old. It's also easy to consider it inferior to the new Platinum. Time will tell, but there's only so much Pennzoil can do with marketing...

Originally Posted By: Danh
Not sure which viscosity you're referencing, but "Old" Ultra in 5w/20 was rated A1/B1-10. New Ultra is A1/B1-10/B1-12. The B1/12 standard was instituted in 2012 so old Ultra may have met it, but perhaps just wasn't certified.

Yes, you are right, I was remembering the specs of the 5W-30 which has the A5/B5 approval, I should have checked before posting; but now my question is: why the 0W-20 (old or new) only get the A1/B1 rating??

I went back to the specs and I think the answer is because of the HTHS and not because of the shearing, since the A1 standard establishes a minimum HTHS of 2.6 for the xW-20 oils and in the A5 the minimum is 2.9 for any viscosity, and I have not seen yet a xW-20 oil with more than 2.8.

So now, apart from what you said, I don't see anything wrong with this new Ultra

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back