Platinum plugs in place of copper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone run platinum or iridium plugs in a car spec'd for copper? i'm going to replace the plugs in the olds. The transverse v-6 is a pain to change on the firewall side. The stock plug is the ac 41-601. I was thinking of using the autolite app606 so i could leave them in for the next 100,000 miles rather than 30,000 for the copper plug. Some people think you should not run platinum's in an engine that did not come from the factory with them. Thoughts??

I've done it frequently. on my Ram and on my Durango with the hemi. just for the reason you cited. took me hour hours to change 16 plugs in the hemi.... no probs. some people have had problems with Bosch. I've used Autolite and Champion plats with no probs

I'm running DENSO Iridium Power plugs in a Chrysler 4.7L V8. Many who claim to be well versed in the 4.7 like to say, "Run copper or it will throw a code or run poorly." I say it's a load of bollox! The engine runs smoothly and I've never had a hint of an issue. I'm also running the same plug design in my Volkswagen 2.0T FSI. They are working just as well in this application.

Lesson? Always take the advice of "experts" with a grain of salt. Use the long-life plugs and be done with it. Platinums will work just fine, and if you can find a compatible iridium design it will last even longer.

I run copper plugs on my car even though it spec's platinum. Only downside is I change them more frequently.

i went from regular champions that were in it to champion platinums for a 90 4.3 v6 although everone tells me to use ac

i went from regular champions that were in it to champion platinums for a 90 4.3 v6 although everone tells me to use ac

I'd say give it a shot and see how they do. I'd recommend NGK platinum or iridium myself. I've had good luck with them in other cars. I tried autolite platinum's in my old truck and it didn't like them, but they take 30min to change so I'm just running copper now.

Just did plugs in a ciera 3.3; gave me flashbacks as I had one of these cars back in y2k.

What made it easier, especially near that stamped tin knuckle buster on the firewall, was some mechanic's gloves. I stood on the passenger tire for the right angle.

In the saturn world of waste spark they say stick with copper, the plats run too cold. I've transferred this to running copper pretty much everywhere, even in place of OE plats on a 98 sunfire (runs better BTW) who cares if I change them every other year.

If you do run plats run them everywhere so if you have a problem it will show up more reliably and you'll know to change them, instead of trucking on "a little bit off."

thumbsup2.gif
The 3300 is a NICE motor, way less of a dog than the 3.1.

I'm running NGK iridiums in my Montero, which came from the factory with copper plugs. I got sick of changing them every 25,000 km (15,625 miles) as per the manual, so I upgraded. No problems.
thumbsup2.gif

If platinum/iridium would not work then the plug manufactures or auto manufactures would say so.Go the NGK site or DENSO site to cross reference and read the specs on plugs.I think I'm going with Denso Iridiums in my Hemi truck in about 3k.

Going to have to disagree... they make platinum plugs with the right thread reach and diameter, but in an effort to save shelf space and part numbers will spec a heat range that's often not quite right. Especially if you shop at wal-mart.

Look up a copper plug for your car, then the platinum, then cross the platinum part number back to copper. Will often be a different number.

Ask someone with an old euro benz or beemer with points ignition who are seeking out or hoarding obsolete bosch coppers.

You can go with double platinum the 3300. Don't expect 100k on Autolite double platinum. They are usually spent around 50k.

I found the NGK TR55 copper to be the best when I had a Ciera with the 3300.

My 3800s have Autolite copper in them and they love it! (reminds me of the my engine loves this engine oil thread)

Last edited:
The new gen Hemi crowd has dealt with this issue for years.

Choose your plug based on how long you want to run them. Copper plugs are CHEAP, that's the reason they are used. Platinum/Iridium hybrids like NGK may outlast your car!

Just avoid the gimmicky ones like E3 and such.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Just avoid the gimmicky ones like E3 and such.

That is great advice right there! Junk plugs.

In the world of Mercedes, some cars are specified to run non-resistor copper plugs. They are now difficult - but not impossible - to find. Running resistor plugs, which is what more platinum plugs are, is hard on the ignition system and gives rise to driveability problems. OEM only.

You can have platinums with copper.
They are NOT mutually inclusive or exclusive.
For the vast majority of plugs, having copper means there is a copper core. It has nothing to do with the tip material.

You beat me to it.The copper is not in or on the tip.Just in the body.Several Platinum and Iridium's state they are copper cored.The reason for the precious metal tip is that it dosen't wear off as fast.The spark dosen't erode it.It is also advertised that the Platiumn and Iridium's take LESS voltage to fire and help lengthen coil pack life.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
It is also advertised that the Platiumn and Iridium's take LESS voltage to fire and help lengthen coil pack life.

Can someone expand on this? Are platinum/iridium plugs "better" regarding spark quality. Or, do they just last longer?

The NGK site contradicts itself. At one place, they state that stock, modern ignition systems are so finely tuned that you can barely achieve any improvement with plug changes. Yet, they advertise their platinums and iridiums as giving "better starting" and "faster acceleration".

My 4cyl. Caravan came with OEM coppers and the Chrysler forums all say these engines run best with "coppers". Yet, NGK list 4 different plugs for it (plats, etc.). Comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back