Plastic 5 gallon water jugs, are they damaged by freezing?

I have frozen Ozarka screw cap jugs (little under a gallon) many times at the bottom of the freezer (for power loss).
They might bulge - but have never failed …

Picked up a jug of this.

894cdfc3-923c-4e16-8e2d-09187c5cb4ef.b24f0ff7bbfb31364574c9d8cc74397b.jpeg

I usually add a quart to the toilet tank and bowl. Now I read on the back, product cannot be diluted for it to work as intended. So I can't mix it with water? Then what do people use it for?

Picked up a jug of this.

894cdfc3-923c-4e16-8e2d-09187c5cb4ef.b24f0ff7bbfb31364574c9d8cc74397b.jpeg

I usually add a quart to the toilet tank and bowl. Now I read on the back, product cannot be diluted for it to work as intended. So I can't mix it with water? Then what do people use it for?
I would guess (but am not certain) that the effectiveness is directly proportional to the concentration. Undiluted, it's rated down to -100 F. With none of the waterline antifreeze at all, pure water would freeze @ +32 F. Therefore, I'd expect that at 50% strength (i.e. half water/half antifreeze), I'd expect it would protect down to about -34 F.

I think they just want you to know that the protective range drops as the product is diluted with water.

For softer plastic jugs they might flex and bulge but the OP is using hard plastic carboys or whatever the actual term is. They will crack but the cap is likely to come off before that. Eventually they will fail.

Why not store them in a warm space? Avoid all this drama.

Never thought such a simple inquiry would get the responses you did, huh ?

This is BITOG. Nothing surprises me anymore. I was expecting to get a bunch of questions asking why I don't have the water on or aren't I using the sewer system and not paying for it every time I flush.

This is BITOG. Nothing surprises me anymore. I was expecting to get a bunch of questions asking why I don't have the water on or aren't I using the sewer system and not paying for it every time I flush.
I can only speak for myself. I did not expect your water to be on. Otherwise you would not be using water bottles.

Last edited:
Technically I think you're ok because you're using water from home which would be the same sewer system. I suppose if you used rain water, then you never paid for the water.

What if the water comes from one municipality and the sewer system is in another ? 😁
They might share the same waste water treatment plant though. But if not, it's probably close enough for government work, I don't think there's really a sewer police.

That pink antifreeze protects your pipes by turning to slush, which doesn't expand. May be good for the toilet trap. I wouldn't waste it on the water carboys.

My garage in Maine has an air temp of 18 above when it's 5 below outside. The slab retains heat, or some comes up from the ground. If you get freak overnight lows in the teens the average temp inside your bathroom inside a building should be all right.

They might share the same waste water treatment plant though. But if not, it's probably close enough for government work, I don't think there's really a sewer police.
It was a joke, hence the big grin emoji....

Back