Venting A 5 Gallon Plastic Jug ?

I have a nice 5 gallon heavy gauge plastic jug that I use to transport my used motor oil to Autozone after I do my oil changes. The problem is it has no vent.

Emptying it into their waste oil tank when it's full causes a lot of splashing. These vent valves look good, but I see a problem with installing them. If you watch the video, as soon as the nut becomes slightly tight, it's going to spin the whole valve, preventing proper tightening between the O-Rings.

They should have put a couple of small flats on the valve stem itself to put a wrench on. Grabbing the threaded part will only damage them. Have any of you guys put a vent valve in similar to this? If you have a link to something better, I'm all eyes and ears.

Thick plastic? Years ago I had some ventless diesel jerry cans that were ventless. Hated it so I took a drywall screw and put where the vent should go. Did not flow enough air. Got a 3/8 lag of some sort. That worked well enough. Enough friction it stayed in place, but I could turn with my fingers.

I'm pretty sure that the valve stem won't turn much once the nut begins to compress the o-rings. Having an o-ring on both the inside and outside should provide adequate friction to allow proper torque on the nut. You could also wrap masking tape on the threads and hold gently with pliers if needed to completely tighten the nut.

Not what you’re asking, but what about a blitz style can with a gas can vent kit? The ones I’ve seen are all plastic though. You need a socket to press them in.

You might be able to add the vent kit to your 5 gallon jug too.

Emptying it into their waste oil tank when it's full causes a lot of splashing.
Trying imagine what a vent valve has to do with this. Sounds more like a problem with the oil tank. Does it have a diffuser grid or screen to prevent splashing? Is the edge of the tank more than 6 inches above the spot you're pouring? Have you tried pouring slower? I dump my 5 gallon jug at the county station where there is a trough leading to a collection tank. No problem with splashing and no vent valve.

There are a few solutions, here is a pour lid.

FoamPRO 135 Fits-All 5-Gallon Paint Pouring Spout, 1 pack | Paint Brush Wiper | Universal Large Bucket Pouring Attachment https://a.co/d/6mEfS5V

Or get a paint bucket with a built in screw hole, then you ca additionally add this spout.

The big screw is a great idea for the vent.

I have a nice 5 gallon heavy gauge plastic jug that I use to transport my used motor oil to Autozone after I do my oil changes. The problem is it has no vent.

Emptying it into their waste oil tank when it's full causes a lot of splashing. These vent valves look good, but I see a problem with installing them. If you watch the video, as soon as the nut becomes slightly tight, it's going to spin the whole valve, preventing proper tightening between the O-Rings.

They should have put a couple of small flats on the valve stem itself to put a wrench on. Grabbing the threaded part will only damage them. Have any of you guys put a vent valve in similar to this? If you have a link to something better, I'm all eyes and ears.

I have those same vents on several 5 gal jugs, they work very well. I have not had any issues

I simply drill a hole that is just a tick smaller than 1/4 inch, and push a 1/4 inch bolt up to the shoulder, in the hole. Crude, but works really well. Easy to grab the bolt and remove it. A letter "D" drill bit works well, and of course, some aviation hardware.

Although, the link in the OP looks good.

Trying imagine what a vent valve has to do with this......
Everything. The jug is very heavy when full. (About 4-1/2 gallons from 3 cars). The top of their waste tank is about chest nipple high on me. (I'm 6'2").

Trying to gently pour it is all but impossible, because of its weight and the position you are in when trying to pour it. So you basically have to try to tip it, or else lay it on it's side. Either way, this results with a lot of, "glug, glug, gluging" because of the lack of a vent. Which causes a lot of unnecessary splashing everywhere.

Making this worse is the fact my Autozone has some type of "rule", that only employees are supposed to deposit oil in the tank, not customers.

But most of the time I end up getting a woman employee who can't even lift the thing, let alone pour it without making a gigantic mess all around the top of the tank. Having a on/off vent would help prevent a lot of this.

Gas Can Vent This seems pretty simple, you drill a hole and push it in. I've been meaning to get some for some 5 gallon water jugs that have a crappy little vent plug.
We experimented with gas can style vents in plastic pail lids opposite the bung to eliminate the "glug-glug-glug" while pouring. It worked well. Eventually we had the vent installed by the manufacturer in all our lids for liquids.

You can buy the vents with snap down flip caps from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
But most of the time I end up getting a woman employee who can't even lift the thing, let alone pour it without making a gigantic mess all around the top of the tank. Having a on/off vent would help prevent a lot of this.
Any value in pouring into the old containers and dropping that off instead? Potential for mess at home, but what is more of a hassle, doing that at home, or dealing with the hassle at the store? Time vs effort.

Maybe just get two 3 gallon jugs? Counter lady will have a better shot at lifting it.
That's not a bad point. I have a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and I usually do not fill past 4 gallons, just too unwieldy IMO. I'd rather have 2 or 3 cans rather than 1 or 2, just for my convenience.

Any value in pouring into the old containers and dropping that off instead? Potential for mess at home, but what is more of a hassle, doing that at home, or dealing with the hassle at the store? Time vs effort.
I could do that, but having just one jug is easier....... If I can vent it.

When I was a kid my dad stored a mix of fuel oil and gasoline in metal gas cans that didn't have a vent (like the ones camp fuel comes in). He used it to start fires in "bulldozer piles". He drilled a hole in the top opposite the spout and jammed in a sharpened wooden peg. Worked fine for that application. I wouldn't do that for a fuel can though because there might be bits of wood in the fuel.

Gas Can Vent This seems pretty simple, you drill a hole and push it in. I've been meaning to get some for some 5 gallon water jugs that have a crappy little vent plug.
My 5 gallon jug is quite thick. (Thicker than a gas can). It is an industrial 5 gallon jug that contained Simple Green. I'm wondering how much thickness range those, "push in" vents can handle?

This is basically the same jug I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not a standard push in vent?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230826_112154_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230826_112154_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 4
Back