Planned Obsolescence- Pressure Tank

I purchased two of these Amtrol Well-X-Trol WX-202 Well Pressure Tanks 20 gal
My system was setup in a closet and uses two.
They had a 7 year warranty and they replaced a set made by "State" which lasted 19 years and
only one failed,

The Amtrol folks are gods to me. :)
18 days after the warranty expired one failed. I never expected such precise failure.
The real joke is they have doubled in price since 2016.

I'm going back to State now as I have a dealer in the area. Now these look absolutely new and are not in a basement rusted out. oh well most things these days are crap- HVAC included.
We could do a whole thread on things that doubled in cost …

I have a fibreglass composite tank - Wellmate WM 6 - with a replaceable bladder. If the bladder goes just flush the tank and put in a new bladder and charge to a couple psig below the well cut-in setpoint. I think I have my air charge at 34psig to give a bit more room for another 1/2 gallon of draw-down and gauge error. A lot of problems due to grit in the bottom of the tank. I should have at least a coarse filter for all house water to keep grit out of gauges and valves - but I dont.

Last edited:
I have a fibreglass composite tank - Wellmate WM 6 - with a replaceable bladder. If the bladder goes just flush the tank and put in a new bladder and charge to a couple psig below the well cut-in setpoint. I think I have my air charge at 34psig to give a bit more room for another 1/2 gallon of draw-down and gauge error. A lot of problems due to grit in the bottom of the tank. I should have at least a coarse filter for all house water to keep grit out of gauges and valves - but I dont.
That's what I needed 30 years and 4 tanks ago.....

I have two blue bladder tanks in my crawl space. I have not measured but I sure hope they were not installed before the house was built. House is about 20 year old.
I have a monster 119 gallon one in a house and the basement has no outside entrance and thus the next owner will have to leave it and use two tanks...
Builders do stupid stuff.

Back