Planned Obsolescence- Pressure Tank

Zee09

$200 Site Donor 2023
I purchased two of these Amtrol Well-X-Trol WX-202 Well Pressure Tanks 20 gal
My system was setup in a closet and uses two.
They had a 7 year warranty and they replaced a set made by "State" which lasted 19 years and
only one failed,

The Amtrol folks are gods to me. :)
18 days after the warranty expired one failed. I never expected such precise failure.
The real joke is they have doubled in price since 2016.

I'm going back to State now as I have a dealer in the area. Now these look absolutely new and are not in a basement rusted out. oh well most things these days are crap- HVAC included.

Last edited:
The real joke is they have doubled in price since 2016.
I’m on well water and about a month ago my submersible pump failed. I remember buying it and several fittings for it for about $350 20 years ago.
Now my cost was $1700.
I guess I could have purchased a Chinese-made one for under $500, but I don’t like to pull 100 feet of pump and lines any more than I have to. 😎

I’m on well water and about a month ago my submersible pump failed. I remember buying it and several fittings for it for about $350 20 years ago.
Now my cost was $1700.
I guess I could have purchased a Chinese-made one for under $500, but I don’t like to pull 100 feet of pump and lines any more than I have to. 😎
Yup .. I'm worried about that as mine is about 25 years old...
But it was built before the Chinese revolution

Just replaced my 20 gallon tank the other day with a bigger one. Had a catastrophic failure and a huge dose of iron laden sulfur water when it went. And the prices are double. The last time I needed one I got it of Amazon, FloPro. It came with a busted weld on one of the bottom studs and would not hold air pressure. They issued a refund and told me to keep it.

Very unusual to see the WX202 fail so quickly...although it can occasionally happen. They are usually good for 20 years. In my 40 plus years of plumbing they have the best record.

Very unusual to see the WX202 fail so quickly...although it can occasionally happen. They are usually good for 20 years. In my 40 plus years of plumbing they have the best record.
Thanks Walt- good to know.
Funny I just got home from the store and ran into Len The Plumber
We had a talk, and he lives in a development where I have some property.
They charge $49 to come out and it's refunded if you do the work. Just a conversation.
Most here are like $119. I told him the tanks doubled in price from 7 years ago and he agreed.

I thought the WX202 would be my last purchase. Thinking about going back to State
What do you think?

I would do WX202.
They have a thicker metal casing than State
Stainless steel nipple and bottom elbow
The industries thickest diaphragm
The industries highest working pressure of 150 PSI
Patented antimicrobial liner which neutralizes bacteria on contact
Industries longest warranty
7 Year warranty

These are all features not found on any other brand

I would do WX202.
They have a thicker metal casing than State
Stainless steel nipple and bottom elbow
The industries thickest diaphragm
The industries highest working pressure of 150 PSI
Patented antimicrobial liner which neutralizes bacteria on contact
Industries longest warranty
7 Year warranty

These are all features not found on any other brand
Thanks
Yes, State has only a 5 year warranty but they sure lasted. (From another time though)
Everything you say is bragged about on the label too...

The State ones at Menards have 5 year warranty and are made in USA by AO Smith. Stainless steel connection. Just paid $240 for the 36 gallon size.

Thanks
Yes, State has only a 5 year warranty but they sure lasted. (From another time though)
Everything you say is bragged about on the label too...
I cannot discuss anything with a well. I know nothing of what you're talking, BUT I played general contractor in 1990 and built my own custom home. The plumber I hired was an older fellow who is now passed and his son is carrying on the family business. He would not install a hot water heater that was NOT a State, and he told me HIS house had a State. He even invited me over to see it if I wished. He told me he never had a "callback" on a State water heater. Buy once, cry once.
My State water heater is pushing 35 years old, and the anode has been removed (by Impact wrench) at least 3 times and cleaned; but it is still VERY functional. If anyone is old enough (besides me) to remember Paul Harvey, he used to endorse State.

I cannot discuss anything with a well. I know nothing of what you're talking, BUT I played general contractor in 1990 and built my own custom home. The plumber I hired was an older fellow who is now passed and his son is carrying on the family business. He would not install a hot water heater that was NOT a State, and he told me HIS house had a State. He even invited me over to see it if I wished. He told me he never had a "callback" on a State water heater. Buy once, cry once.
My State water heater is pushing 35 years old, and the anode has been removed (by Impact wrench) at least 3 times and cleaned; but it is still VERY functional. If anyone is old enough (besides me) to remember Paul Harvey, he used to endorse State.
I had the same experience with my State. I never even flushed it either... I am a big fan and your story is great to hear.
Weird but I listened to PH. Daily but I don't remember the State endorsement. I guess I wasn't thinking water heaters.

Their products aren't that expensive either.

I decided to let the company Len The Plumber give me a price today. Guy was nice but he forced me to order all the parts today myself.. I used Menards and Amazon for a very nice price and package.

Getting back to Len...
He suggested one tank as I asked him about a slim and tall 32 gallon . Stainless tee and all the goodies like switch gauge .
I paid the $49 service fee.
When he showed me the estimate on his tablet I was really floored ...

Really....$3750.00
I told him thanks but that is totally crazy....

So today I went back to State 2x20 gallon tanks which lasted 17 years with a stainless Tee package for $525. Which includes shipping and taxes.

Menards had a steal on the tanks and a mail in rebate which I did not deduct yet out of the $525.

Len the Plumber must be nuts and no I am not a cheapskate.
Ridiculous. Who can afford that price and who would pay it?

My regular plumber told me that he like you swears by Amtrol. The gold standard but he said avoid the tall 203- 32 gallon model.
He has seen nothing but failures from that model.
Since it's under 16" wide I suspect that could be an issue???

I decided to let the company Len The Plumber give me a price today. Guy was nice but he forced me to order all the parts today myself.. I used Menards and Amazon for a very nice price and package.

Getting back to Len...
He suggested one tank as I asked him about a slim and tall 32 gallon . Stainless tee and all the goodies like switch gauge .
I paid the $49 service fee.
When he showed me the estimate on his tablet I was really floored ...

Really....$3750.00
I told him thanks but that is totally crazy....

So today I went back to State 2x20 gallon tanks which lasted 17 years with a stainless Tee package for $525. Which includes shipping and taxes.

Menards had a steal on the tanks and a mail in rebate which I did not deduct yet out of the $525.

Len the Plumber must be nuts and no I am not a cheapskate.
Ridiculous. Who can afford that price and who would pay it?
People who don't know how much something should cost will pay whatever it does cost. I hear about people paying $1300 for some break pads, and they just give the shop the money without doing ANY research or getting multiple quotes.

People who don't know how much something should cost will pay whatever it does cost. I hear about people paying $1300 for some break pads, and they just give the shop the money without doing ANY research or getting multiple quotes.
Yes they become the victims.
One big score is all they need.
I don't know how these people sleep at night.

My regular plumber told me that he like you swears by Amtrol. The gold standard but he said avoid the tall 203- 32 gallon model.
He has seen nothing but failures from that model.
Since it's under 16" wide I suspect that could be an issue???
The 32 gallon model is the most prone to failure. That is because the bladder has to stretch more in height. But if you are moving not an issue. They are usually good for at least 10 years.

Back