Plan for my new Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
dagmando:
I really used to enjoy tinkering with my car. Now I can't reach those back spark plugs, and I don't have a bazzion dollar engine analyzer. Doesn't leave me much to do to "bond" with my car. So, even if expresslube were only $10, I'd probably still change my own. :)

pmb:
The '91 Accord has the 1st 180K on Castrol 5w30, and the balance was on Mobil 1 5w30. Filters have been various. K&N and OEM for the last 100K. I'm surprised by how strong the moter still feels.

john_ertw:
You've convinced me. Thanks for all the advice. I'll go with Chevron 5W20 (it has higher moly than Honda's OEM oil, right? - AKA Mobil dino). I'll do the change at 4K.

Also, I've been wanting to put 5w20 in for warranty's sake. I was at my local dealer an hour ago, and they said they only do 5w20 on special requests. Every Honda that goes through there gets Castrol 5w30. It gets pretty ****ed hot around here. I guess I need to rethink which vis to use (0w20, 0w30 or 5w30). Guess I'll start pouring over the UOAs (pun intended). Tnx again!

We ran our 87 Accord to 165 K miles on straight dino. Didn't use any oil, MPG was as good when we sold it as when we bought it, always 32-36 MPG on the highway. Rust was the problem at the end. The engine and transmission had many more miles left in them.

I respect the opinions of those who like synthetics such as Mobil 1. The UOAs from dinos in Honda engines, e.g. Pennzoil, Conoco/ Motorcraft, Havoline, make an argument that those oils do well in Hondas for 3-5K OCIs.

I've been reading this board for a while now and I just bought a '04 Accord Lx with 4 cyl vtec
and automatic trans. After weighing what most of you guys have said (you've all been helpful-thanks!)I think I will change the factory fill at 3500-4000 miles and go with Honda oil filters all the way and going with Honda oil for the first sevice fill to around 8K, then go to M1 0W-20 or
0W-30 (if I can find it)from there out.
I don't intend to worry about it and let the chips fall as they may! (hopefully not in the oil pan....LOL!
Lukey

Question is do you want to listen to people who have conspiracy theories about why the dealer does not want to see you within 7500 miles or do you want to follow what the maker of that car says? If you are worried, switch at 3750 under Honda's severe maintenance schedule. That way, you are being conservative yet following their guidelines. No other manufacturer besides Honda is so implicit in regards to break in and their oil. Honda makes some of the finest engines, lasting longer than most on the road and there is a reason for that. If this was Ford or Gm telling me I would be skeptical, but with a Honda or Toyota, I would listen to them.

2x

quote:

Originally posted by mountainhouse:
I've been reading for a while, and there sure is A LOT of information here. I've tried to gather is all into some sort of plan for my Accord V6. I know there's certainly not agreement on this: I'm going to go 7,500 with the factory fill per Honda recommendations. I'm then going to get a dealer oil change using the Honda 5-20w/filter. I'm then thinking I'll switch over to Mobil 1 0-20w and Honda/K&N filter at 8,500. I'll stay with that combination changing every 7,500. I'll do an oil test when the first Mobil 1 comes out. BTW I do mostly freeway driving.

Assumptions:
1. Go a 1,000 after the first oil change to clean out left over from factory fill.
2. No point testing factory fill or the oil that's in for 1,000 miles.
3. Honda and K&N have higher flows which is good.
4. Mobil 1 was great in my '91 Accord with 430K miles.

Make any sense? Am I crazy?

Based on my own experience and others(UOA on BITOG), current v6 from Honda/Acura are dirty breaking engines.

I say dump the factory fill at 1k, refill with Exxon/Mobil Superflow 5w20($1.29 at AutoZone) for 2 3k OCI. Then go with 7.5k normal oem service oci using M1 0w20 or other synthetic oil.

Well, 4K (severe service OCI) came pretty quick. I did the first oil change today using Honda OEM 5w20, since some figures from a couple of VOAs showed a high moly content. I'm not analyzing the factory fill. Figure I'd see the same as all the other V6 UOAs. I'll certainly do UOAs for the next change. I'll definitely post those. Since I love driving this car, it won't be long. Thanks again very much for all the posts. There was certainly some disagreement, but also lots in common, and that really helped. Happy motoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back