PL14610, 5K mi, not torn, but not great

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just pulled this PureOne PL14610 off of our 2002 Honda Civic. It was in service for 5242 miles over 7 months with Pennzoil conventional 5W-20. The car was mostly in here near San Francisco, but spent two months in Denver during late winter. The date code on the filter is F04E26E1.

The filter medium was not torn, but it had come unglued from the potting adhesive at the first pleat on the base end of the filter cartridge (second picture). The adhesive on the dome end had completely lost grip with the metal cap.

I would say this filter was poorly assembled, but I have no reason to think that it suffered a significant loss of filtering ability.

I replaced it with a Wix 57356.

Originally Posted By: Stu_Rock

The filter medium was not torn, but it had come unglued from the potting adhesive at the first pleat on the base end of the filter cartridge (second picture).

I think the only way the media could come "unglued" from the potting adhesive is by tearing, unless the end of the pleat was never down far enough into the end cap for the glue to cover it in the first place. Might want to look at that area with some good light and a magnifying glass to see if you see the media torn right at the glue surface.

By the way, I elected not to include this one in my spreadsheet.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I think the only way the media could come "unglued" from the potting adhesive is by tearing, unless the end of the pleat was never down far enough into the end cap for the glue to cover it in the first place. Might want to look at that area with some good light and a magnifying glass to see if you see the media torn right at the glue surface.

It didn't tear through the filter medium, but the medium released some fibers from its inner and outer surfaces in order to separate from the adhesive.

Before taking out the trash this week, I figured I'd take another look at the filter. There are indeed no tears, but I was incorrect that the adhesive gave out on both surfaces of the medium. The inside of the pleat was still bonded, but the adhesive had failed on its outside. The inner-pleat adhesive bent upward in response to the tension on the filter medium.

The metal end cap was still bonded to the adhesive (I struggled to remove it for this photo), so I still don't think a bypass pathway opened up. The cracks in the adhesive that run to its outer edge are my own doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back