Pittsburgh vs Daytona 3 ton floor jack

Ok, I think you guys convinced me. I guess it is not worth the hassle to bring it back. Even though red is not my favorite color, I don't really want to deal with making a special trip back there and lugging that big monster around. Thank you!

When they say "rapid pump," they try to make you think you're going to be rapidly lifting your car; not the case.

The "rapid pump" is with the your car off the jack.

helpful?
Screenshot_20230104-203748.jpg

I like the Arcan jacks. I have one from Costco I bought maybe fifteen years ago. They are a bit lighter and make them easier to return if the need arises ;-)

I've had an older Pittsburgh 2 ton model for years that works OK. But it doesn't roll around very good, or lift very high. So just recently I bought the 4 ton Daytona model, it's in another class all together.

It put the whole rear end of my Jeep Grand Cherokee up in the air like it was made out of paper mache... And did it in just 3 pumps. I couldn't believe how easy it was.

It maneuvers and rolls around easy, and lifts plenty high enough. I think for the money you just can't beat the Daytona line of jacks from Harbor Freight.
What one did you get, can you link to it?
Or is there only one 4 ton?

Here is my Motormaster 3 ton version of the jack, picking up the back of a Chevy Suburban from beneath the rear dif. I’ve had mine a few years. Yes, the jack is realistically too heavy to be toting around, so I keep mine parked underneath a storage shelf and roll it to where it needs to be. Excellent jack. Keep in mind 3 tons is 6,000 lbs. The entire Suburban weighs 6,000 lbs. I’m just lifting 1/2 of that.

1FF4B04B-63F6-44EA-AB3D-747DAC3312D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Snagglefoot, that looks like the HF 3 tonner, that I bought for ~ 89$,in 2013$ Has 16" lift. A freaken beast. I have topped it off a few times, But that goes with leaving it to the elements. I can lift half a Camry with it. It is a minor operation in the drive way but still do-able. Like most of the stuff I buy at HF, it works despite getting beaten on the whole time. I just use the jack for my old car/Camry stuff.

I bought the daytona for a great price. However, it is starting to squeak and it's not even a year yet.

This is a debate that comes up often, and having just had it myself, I'll add my two cents…

TLDR -- I opted for the Pittsburgh, which was $100 during the recent Parking Lot sale; the Daytona was $130. One of the better sales for some time, especially in light of the inflationary trends of the past few years.

The on-paper specs are essentially the same, but this video was helpful in my decision making, in putting them side-by-side and showing what physical differences existed between the two versions he had two years ago.

The gusseting is obviously different, on the top edges of the frame, and the rear wheel supports. As was the brace on the underside. I've long suspected the hydraulics are the same, and haven't seen anything to dissuade the notion.

But, having compared the two display models in store, while the top gussets and wheel supports are still different, a couple of the other physical distinctions have abated.

On the current Slate Gray 3-ton LP model (Item 70482), the underside brace is now the same size, not smaller as before. And the cosmetic top trim plate on the Pittsburgh is now the same thickness, secured with countersunk screws, and is debossed with the brand name as well, like the Daytona.

Or course, the saddle is round, not squared, and lacks a rubber pad. And the Pittsburgh is available in any color the customer wants, as long as it's gray (the red model has apparently been discontinued), not the rainbow of options the Daytona offers.

But in every other respect I could, and tried to visually discern, like the size of the wheels, dimensions of the axles and arms, the two models are almost identical, if not in fact identical. The current Pittsburgh model is now more like the Daytona than it was before.

Finally, the kicker was that both the Pittsburgh and Daytona models now carry a 90-day warranty. I've seen reference to a 3-year warranty on the Daytona in the past, but that is no longer the case. That means HF now sees them as essentially identical as well, and has no additional confidence that the Daytona will be more durable, at least in terms it is willing to cover.

So with that, I opted to keep the $30 in my pocket, and put that toward nicer jack stands. Heavy lifting is important, but heavy holding is more so, if I'm gonna crawl under the car. For a DIYer usage cycle, not pro duty cycle, I have confidence that the Pittsburgh will be fine.

The Super Duty model 63183 still has the three year warranty. All of the other Daytona jacks have 90 day. There are supposedly other differences between the Super Duty vs the others, but I have never checked.

This is a debate that comes up often, and having just had it myself, I'll add my two cents…

TLDR -- I opted for the Pittsburgh, which was $100 during the recent Parking Lot sale; the Daytona was $130. One of the better sales for some time, especially in light of the inflationary trends of the past few years.

The on-paper specs are essentially the same, but this video was helpful in my decision making, in putting them side-by-side and showing what physical differences existed between the two versions he had two years ago.

The gusseting is obviously different, on the top edges of the frame, and the rear wheel supports. As was the brace on the underside. I've long suspected the hydraulics are the same, and haven't seen anything to dissuade the notion.

But, having compared the two display models in store, while the top gussets and wheel supports are still different, a couple of the other physical distinctions have abated.

On the current Slate Gray 3-ton LP model (Item 70482), the underside brace is now the same size, not smaller as before. And the cosmetic top trim plate on the Pittsburgh is now the same thickness, secured with countersunk screws, and is debossed with the brand name as well, like the Daytona.

Or course, the saddle is round, not squared, and lacks a rubber pad. And the Pittsburgh is available in any color the customer wants, as long as it's gray (the red model has apparently been discontinued), not the rainbow of options the Daytona offers.

But in every other respect I could, and tried to visually discern, like the size of the wheels, dimensions of the axles and arms, the two models are almost identical, if not in fact identical. The current Pittsburgh model is now more like the Daytona than it was before.

Finally, the kicker was that both the Pittsburgh and Daytona models now carry a 90-day warranty. I've seen reference to a 3-year warranty on the Daytona in the past, but that is no longer the case. That means HF now sees them as essentially identical as well, and has no additional confidence that the Daytona will be more durable, at least in terms it is willing to cover.

So with that, I opted to keep the $30 in my pocket, and put that toward nicer jack stands. Heavy lifting is important, but heavy holding is more so, if I'm gonna crawl under the car. For a DIYer usage cycle, not pro duty cycle, I have confidence that the Pittsburgh will be fine.

Funny, a 90 day warranty just ensures you can return a lemon. It’s not really a warranty at all.

True, sadly, but thankfully, HF's jacks do have a solid reputation, even if that's the only thing to bank on.

First choice was the similar (same?) Arcan 3-ton that Costco was clearing out for $100, which has a 1-year warranty (plus…Costco) but sold out in my area.

The Super Duty model 63183 still has the three year warranty. All of the other Daytona jacks have 90 day. There are supposedly other differences between the Super Duty vs the others, but I have never checked.

That 3 year warranty is nice! IMO the other jacks should carry at least a 1 year warranty though.

I bought the daytona for a great price. However, it is starting to squeak and it's not even a year yet.
greaseing the zerks if it has e'm and spray the whole jack, well all the moving, possible metal to metak contact points with a PTF or the like lube, and then some silicone on top of that. Even a little brake slider lube if you can. Look for "witness marks" too, and file down that contact area (*Slightly now) and lubing everything equals you a floor jac that feels like a new one!

I'm not sure, but I think they offer an extended warranty for just a few bucks more. I've never purchased one of their extended warranties, but most of the time I'm asked by the checkout gal if I want it.
They MUST! or they will get after them I'm pretty sure.

Back