Pit Bulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrier Fighting breeds should be banned. They are bred to kill and maim, my dogs are bread to hunt birds.

I pretty sure I'm an animal lover, but I'd put down those dogs in a second and sleep like a baby. I feel sorry for the animals, as most often they are owned by tough losers.

My dogs and I have had a few run-ins and we've been very very lucky both times.

I own a Pit Mix. He is very non-aggressive to the children and my family. But heaven forbid you try to approach my kids while they are walking him. There are some males(human) he will not let my near my boys.

Other dogs he will play nice with them and is very curious to meet other dogs. The key to training him was to be firm when he engaged in behavior that was not acceptable and be consistent. This is true with any dog, but from my experience Pit's are strong willed and will do anything to please their owners. So if you own one and want a aggressive son of gun it is easy to train one to be. If you want a loving and protective companion it is just as easy to train one to be one too.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
I love dogs, but I sure wouldn't own a pit bull.
That is fine, but there is nothing wrong with pit bulls, it's the owners.

Every Pit Bull I've ever encountered has been a very friendly dog - to me. Not so much to my dogs though.

It's funny how people get up in arms about Pit Bull attacks, but say absolutely nothing about all the other animal attacks that occur.

I've been attacked multiple times by Chihuahuas, so based on that we should ban ownership of that dangerous breed.
43.gif

The problem is irresponsible pet owners. You can point the finger any where you want, but it always comes back to the owner.

It isn't just about how you train them or the owners, the pit bull is a VERY strong dog, and if and when even the supposedly gentle one has a bad day it's jaw design is far more dangerous than most other breeds.

They should be illegal to own in any area but the most rural ag zone with very few people around.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
It isn't just about how you train them or the owners, the pit bull is a VERY strong dog, and if and when even the supposedly gentle one has a bad day it's jaw design is far more dangerous than most other breeds.

They should be illegal to own in any area but the most rural ag zone with very few people around.

Yes. There are other dogs that may be more likely to bite, but the pit bull makes the news because when he bites, he means business, and has the tools to carry it out. Some years ago, there was a big news story about someone who had been badly mauled by a Blue Tick Hound. It's news because it's very rare.

A Bull Terrier has a similar build to a pit bull, and they were used in times past for bull-baiting and so on, but the modern Bull Terrier isn't the terror that the pit bull is. Rottweilers and German Shepherds can be pretty dangerous, but they're not as likely to kill or maim as a pit bull.

A few years ago, again in San Diego, two labradoodles got loose and bit 11 people before the police came and killed one of them. Oh, wait, those were pit bulls.

How is the strength of pits relevant? While these dogs are usually strong for a medium-sized breed, does this strength make them inherently more dangerous than an even stronger (but less feared) large breed dog that has greater potential power to attack with?

A couple years ago I read a report that broke down all the dog attacks and deaths by breed in the US. Pitbulls were responsible for 50% of all attacks and deaths. Rottweilers were responsible for 20% of all attacks and deaths. I've got to get ready for work, but I'll see if I can find a link to the report tonight.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

How is the strength of pits relevant? While these dogs are usually strong for a medium-sized breed, does this strength make them inherently more dangerous than an even stronger (but less feared) large breed dog that has greater potential power to attack with?

Best to consider the source of the quote... It's the internet, some folks like to just make up stuff. Jaw strength scales allometrically to size. A 90 lb lab has a stronger bite than my 45 lb pit bull. Some folks don't like reality to get in the way of a good narrative or their own fears and misconceptions.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
A couple years ago I read a report that broke down all the dog attacks and deaths by breed in the US. Pitbulls were responsible for 50% of all attacks and deaths. Rottweilers were responsible for 20% of all attacks and deaths. I've got to get ready for work, but I'll see if I can find a link to the report tonight.

Maybe, but correlation doesn't equal causation. Keep in mind, at various times, the most deadly, feared dogs in the US were blood hounds... If you're really interested, this book does a good job of breaking down the statistics: PDF Link.

I realize reading is hard, looking at charts is easy. Bottom line, there are other factors which are responsible. Don't neuter your 100 lb lab, chain him to a pole in the back yard for 24 hours a day and throw out some food scraps occasionally. Hit him when he starts to bark. Then have a neighbor child wonder into the yard. Guess what? That kid's in big trouble.

Keep in mind, almost all of the "pit bull attack stories" in the news actually are other breeds of dogs. The news will label any large dog as a pit bull because of the publicity it brings with it. I know plenty of pit bulls, some of which weren't even trained very well, and I've yet to find one that's aggressive. It's not the dog, it's the owner.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Keep in mind, almost all of the "pit bull attack stories" in the news actually are other breeds of dogs. The news will label any large dog as a pit bull because of the publicity it brings with it. I know plenty of pit bulls, some of which weren't even trained very well, and I've yet to find one that's aggressive. It's not the dog, it's the owner.

Truth. I recently saw a chart with numerous dog pictures and the caption "identify the pit bull". I'll see if I can find it again to post. But if I cannot, the thrust was that most people can'th choose a pit bull from a group of other dogs, mistakenly calling a large number of breeds pit bulls out of ignorance.

Last edited:
I have a pit mix. She will lick you to death if she knows and likes you. In order for her to like you, she needs to meet you out side of the house. She is NOT good with people coming to the house unannounced. She makes a great watchdog.

I must admit I would not let her near other dogs.

But a German Shepard has a lot stronger bite and it was bred to be a people stopper. There is not a big out-lash to band that German Shepards now. The worst pack of dogs I have personally witnessed is a American Bull Dog and a pair of Boxers that are my wife's cousins dogs. The reason for their bad behavior is that her cousin is just plain dumb with dogs and has no business owning them. He and his kids like to get them all full of testosterone by driving around the block and having them chase them in their car for about 5 minutes and then act dumfounded when the dogs do not want to calm down and go attack other dogs. One day those dogs will attack small children after this stupid behavior. I am hopeful my children will not be there but if I am there to witness this a family civil war will break out because there will be 3 dead dogs at the least.

So from what I have witnessed dogs will do what their owners want them to do or at the least what their owners condition them to do. It is not type of dog that is the problem it is the irresponsible owner. Also I would like to see what happens if one of the backyard bred Pitbulls attempted to attack someone with its 3 timed overemphasized head and body.

I walk my Min Schnauzer every day. He's been attacked 26 times by dogs. Twenty three were Pitbull varieties. I carry a two foot club and have used it many times. Without it, my dog would be dead today and I would have sustained injuries.

Sorry, that breed needs to be banned. Walking time bombs... all of them.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I walk my Min Schnauzer every day. He's been attacked 26 times by dogs. Twenty three were Pitbull varieties. I carry a two foot club and have used it many times. Without it, my dog would be dead today and I would have sustained injuries.

If you've been attacked 26 times by stay dogs, I think you should consider moving. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
lol.gif
How come these "walking time bombs" haven't gone off around me yet? I come in contact with pit bulls all the time....

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister

Maybe, but correlation doesn't equal causation. Keep in mind, at various times, the most deadly, feared dogs in the US were blood hounds... If you're really interested, this book does a good job of breaking down the statistics: PDF Link.

I realize reading is hard, looking at charts is easy. Bottom line, there are other factors which are responsible. Don't neuter your 100 lb lab, chain him to a pole in the back yard for 24 hours a day and throw out some food scraps occasionally. Hit him when he starts to bark. Then have a neighbor child wonder into the yard. Guess what? That kid's in big trouble.

Here's the link to one of the reports I was thinking of:

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/images/dogbreeds-a.pdf

My memory was a little off on the numbers.

JOD I completely agree that correlation doesn't equal causation, but one of the things that stands out in this report was that the majority of deaths were attributed to these two breeds, but these two breeds don't represent the majority of the dog population. I'm not a pit hater, and I know there are no easy one size fits all type of answers as to why. My neighbor is a fireman and owns a pitbull. He sleeps better at night because he knows the dog will protect the family. I'm not all that comfortable when his dog charges the fence while I'm walking my dog. I would not own one simply because of the liability.

I've owned two pit bulls, which were/are my last two dogs. The first was a black lab and pit mix, while I just got a full blooded pit 2 months ago.

The previous dog had to be put down, not because of her attacking anyone, but because she became paralyzed from what would be the equivalent on humans, the waist down. She was the sweetest and smartest dog I've ever owned. She loved every single person she met unless they physically came after someone she knew/liked (an example being a friend punching me in the arm, jokingly, she'd jump and wouldn't attack, but gave you a look like, "don't do that").

From that experience, I really wanted to get another pit mix or full pit. Before obtaining him, I heard some information about pit bulls being considered one of the best family dogs in previous times (obviously the previous statement is not considered anymore as many pits appeared in old marriage paintings, as a symbol of loyalty). And from owning him for over two months now, as a puppy, I can truly see why (my pit mix that I previously talked about was around 2 years old when I got her, so this is my first experience with one as a puppy). I have to say, I haven't been able to raise any other breed of dog so easily as my new pit. He's intelligent, loves to play, and every person and other animal he meets, he's extremely curious and excited to meet them.

I will admit, he does seemingly have instinct pertaining to "attacking". A friend of mine got my new pits brother from the litter, and this is the same man that I do exhaust and brake work with. Naturally, I'd bring my pit over to play with his brother, and most of you would probably find it scary to watch them "play". They're both going for the others neck, biting and jumping around. But as you watch them, you realize they do not mean another harm. Their tails are wagging around like they're as happy as can be, and they only "nip" at one another when they "bite". Not enough to break the skin whatsoever. Their version of having a great time, enough said.

Now move on to the death rates by pit bulls and what not, sure, they are definitely capable. As others have said, it's the owner and the environment.

Lol as I wrote my last statement, I thought of an example of how my new pit learned a bad trait that he no longer has as of now. A friend of mine has a Pomeranian dog, and it is protective over things that are "his", and would growl at my dog when he would just simply walk by. My dog learned that growling trait, and would growl at his brother at first when they would play. This is a perfect example of "the owner and environment" argument I just made. I began to teach him that that was a bad thing, and sure enough, he stopped.

On to the "attacks" that are reported, I could've probably made literally 100 calls to animal control about ankle-biting dogs. People do realize that Chihuahuas are considered one of the most "aggressive" dogs on the planet, right? This is where the numbers come in to play. Sure you hear about deaths caused by pit bulls, because they're capable. That doesn't mean they're naturally the most "aggressive" and dangerous breed in the world. If a Chihuahua had the size, ability, as well as will, of a pit bull, it could actually be much more dangerous.

I could go on, but I'm not, just some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back