Piston slap when cold. 2009 Hyundai 2.0L Video

I have a 2010 and have to admit, it doesn't sound like that. On the other hand my friend has a Kia Soul with the same engine and his sounds like yours. He is about to flip 100k and mine is only at 60k. These engines tend to get noisy as they get close to 100k. They are solid, non hydraulic adjusting lifters (cam followers). But it doesn't sound like your top end is noisy.

I use 5w30 in mine and my friend got service records with his and it was always run on 5w20. So the choice is yours, I would suggest 5w30 and see how it does after a few thousand miles. This engine is pretty old school and I think the best results are when you change oil often, even if it is cheap oil. Rather than 10k on a top quality oil.

Just wanted to add that I have tried several filters to see if there is a difference and in all honesty, the factory one was the loudest. Quietest was Supertech and it has an AcDelco gold on it now that looks exactly like the Supertech. Once I run out of my stash of filters I may try OEM again, but I can't say it sounded better with the OEM filter.

As for your stereo, all of these Elantras came with the higher end stereo. Mine is a BLUE model which was as stripped down as you can get and still has the 196 watt amp in the trunk. I installed a Pioneer touch screen radio to have Apple car play and Waze. Very impressed with the sound honestly. I am one to rip out the speakers the day I buy the car, but these have stayed because they really aren't bad. With the Pioneer auto EQ that the radio does with an external microphone, it tuned the speakers well. People have asked if I had a subwoofer in the trunk, lol. It is just the cheap paper factory speakers doing their best.

Just wanted to add that I have tried several filters to see if there is a difference and in all honesty, the factory one was the loudest. Quietest was Supertech and it has an AcDelco gold on it now that looks exactly like the Supertech. Once I run out of my stash of filters I may try OEM again, but I can't say it sounded better with the OEM filter.

As for your stereo, all of these Elantras came with the higher end stereo. Mine is a BLUE model which was as stripped down as you can get and still has the 196 watt amp in the trunk. I installed a Pioneer touch screen radio to have Apple car play and Waze. Very impressed with the sound honestly. I am one to rip out the speakers the day I buy the car, but these have stayed because they really aren't bad. With the Pioneer auto EQ that the radio does with an external microphone, it tuned the speakers well. People have asked if I had a subwoofer in the trunk, lol. It is just the cheap paper factory speakers doing their best.
OEM filter only has an effect on valve train noise. I've even had it happen myself, I have no idea why but every once in awhile an aftermarket filter's adbv fails to keep the oil up top.

The Beta II’s I have had over the years (04, 07 Elantra, 11 Soul) never sounded like that, even with high mileage. Not even on a cold start in the dead of winter.

Would you use the 2010 you mentioned as a donor engine, or would you replace the 2009?

I liked that generation Elantra and the Beta II is a great engine. It’s sad to hear it knocking. 🙁

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, i would use the 2010 Engine in the 2009 as the car itself is pretty nice. The engine is already out.
I will go for the 5W30 route, and maybe a UOA, i'm not one to get one - i believe just change your oil at reasonable time, and use good quality oil but maybe for piece of mind and to see really is it a ticking time bomb. i will. Any recommendations on that? I'll post a video on it warm, and it sounds nothing like when its cold, its magical the difference. 😥😥

Okay! 4.2QTS of M1 EP HM 5W30 are installed, with a OEM Hyundai filter. Its definitely quieter and less "ticky" when warm. :unsure: I'm hoping when cold it sounds a little bit less audible, if so it was user error using the wrong grade of M1 5W20 oil and aftermarket fram ultra filter. (you told me so on the filter) I probably should of never used fram on this motor to begin with... I did not see any metal in the used oil either.

This is what is sounds currently using the 5W30 M1 EP HM and OEM Hyundai filter on a warm engine. (idle and rev)

Here is a 0-60 MPH pull after a 25 min drive. Its very respectable for an Elantra, and sounds/feels like there are no issues to be found.

Really thinking im going to ride this one out... Thanks!

Update on this: it sounds so much much better when cold I would say 75% quieter and that tick/knock goes away within seconds after running! I’m very happy with this drastic change in sound! It appears again this was user error using wrong grade of oil - 5w20 and the fram filter! Plus the 5w20 was very thin from the fuel in the oil. I’d say this issue is FIXED. Thank you all!

You can cut open an oil filter and examine it for metal particles.

I think the difference in sound is more the oil change than the filter.
I’d agree with you there as the old oil M1 5w20 with fuel dilution was simply too thin for this higher mileage 2.0 beta II engine. But to eliminate all possible causes of this engine sound I went with M1 ep hm 5w30 and oem filter and will change every 5k from here on out. The M1 and ultra filters are also overkill for a 5k oci, so I’ll save a few dollars per change now using oem filters. 😀

I’d agree with you there as the old oil M1 5w20 with fuel dilution was simply too thin for this higher mileage 2.0 beta II engine. But to eliminate all possible causes of this engine sound I went with M1 ep hm 5w30 and oem filter and will change every 5k from here on out. The M1 and ultra filters are also overkill for a 5k oci, so I’ll save a few dollars per change now using oem filters. 😀

Doesn’t your oil fill cap say to use 5w20?

I have had good luck with Quaker State and Pennzoil 5w20 in that engine without any excessive noise (it was the conventional oil Firestone used) but now that I do it myself I use 5w30 with an OEM filter.

If you start to hear a lot of racket in the mornings again, give Quaker State 5w30 a try. I’m using the “All mileage” type now. It’s not a GDI so I don’t use synthetic in the beta engine and I do short OCIs of around 4000.

Here’s a shot of the motor and it does say to use 5w20 on the oil cap.

Attachments

• D35BD9BF-BBCD-4E42-89F7-C8770C249DCB.jpeg
    D35BD9BF-BBCD-4E42-89F7-C8770C249DCB.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 19
it does say to use 5w20 on the oil cap.
I consider that marking an obligation to meet the CAFE requirement through the warranty period.
Beyond that, it's a free country and follow one's own judgement.
If it were mine I'd go as far as xw40 oil as the miles pile up if it makes it run quieter.

The M1 and ultra filters are also overkill for a 5k oci
You could run the Ultra for 2 or even 3 OCIs.
I run a Wix (NAPA Gold) for two 3-5000 mile OCI.
With the quality of Wix now in question I may try a Fram Tough Guard next time around.
I'm wary of the lower efficiency of the OEM filters.

Back