Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I just put a pair of these on the front of my Corvette. I was wondering who else has these tires and what do you think of them? I drove in the worst rain storm I've ever seen and they handled deep water beautifully!

I did lose some handling ability, but it could also be because I went to a 245-45-17 from a 275-40-17 (the previous owner went bigger than normal up front, but 245-45-17 is the correct size)

Haven't used them personally, but I know a lot of Audi guys have them and praise them highly in terms of performance, as far as all-season tires go.

The Tirerack reviews of this tire look very good too, people give it a 9.1 for dry traction, 8.7 for wet traction, 8.6 for hydro resistance, 8.7 for treadwear, and even give it a 7.5 for snow traction! (which is good since I'll be driving this car in the snow with these tires up front and probably Blizzak LM22s in back)

I was not a happy camper this afternoon, as I found a screw in one of my new tires! Lucky for me though, when I removed it, I found out it was a small one and did not puncture through the tire. It went in on one of the beefiest parts of the tread too, luckily.

I don't know why I removed it though, I don't know what I would've done if the tire instantly went flat on me.
dunno.gif

Ususlly new tires feel less sticky because of the greater tread depth. I also found that the Pirelli Rossos on my Porsche are stickier with the pressure set at several pounds less than the factory reccomendation.

quote:

Originally posted by ebaker:
Ususlly new tires feel less sticky because of the greater tread depth.

That is true, and something I forgot when I first bought them.

Now that I've had them on the car for over 700 miles, I can feel the handling getting back to almost where it was before with the bigger front tires.

I don't have the Neros, but I have the Rossos on the front of my car. On the back I have Bridgestone S02s.

I don't really like the Pirellis compared to the S02s. Not as good in the water. But they have better treadwear.

I don't like how the sidewalls seem soft and the tires appear to be only halfway inflated when they're actually at 32psi. The S02s have very hard sidewalls and don't do that.

But on the track they seem pretty predictable - I've taken them there a few times.

Patman, I have them on my Modded LT1 Camaro....275-40x17's all around. I found steering response to be excellant. They are quit good in the wet. I got them in the spring and replaced Continental Extremes with them. I found the slow steering response of the Extremes annoying. The Extremes were terrific in the snow and never came close to hydroplaning.
The Nero's are getting excellent wear, 1/32" (.8mm) in 8,ooo miles or 13,100 KM
lol.gif

I like the sounds of those wear numbers Carl! These tires truly are amazing, I never imagined an all season tire could handle so well! The more I push my car hard into the corners the more amazed I am at their performance.

I've always (since 1988) had to run all-season performance tires and the Nero's are the best in summer weather I've tried. On my '97 Camaro SS, I got it set up w/ SLP's level II suspension modified by me. I thought it was pretty good but.... BUT, when I drove my cousin's C5 on the twisties northwest of Chicago...OH baby, NICE. You got a winner there.
cheers.gif

lol.gif
Yes sir. I use to be in outside sales and drove year round in the Midwest. Now the SS is my year round driver to and from work...vacations etc, about 25,000 miles a year.

So how does your car do in a couple of inches of snow with these tires? (edit-I just noticed you haven't had them on long enough to see how they handle snow yet)

I always figured a 275 width tire would be brutal in snow unless it was a dedicated snow tire.

If these Pirellis aren't too bad in light snow, perhaps I'll just buy another pair for the rear (which in my case would be a 275-40-18) and use these tires all year round and save myself the hassle of switching every fall and spring!

Yes, I haven't had them in the snow. Last winter I had the Continental Extremes. They were outstanding in the snow. I didn't like the steering response with them this spring so I traded in on the Pirelli's.

Hmmm... I was seriously looking at this tire for my '95 Mustang GT, but Tire Rack had "low stock" in my size (245/50R16) when I was ready to purchase.

Instead, I went to Sears and got the Kumho ASX, another tire in the "Ultra High Performance All Season" category. So far, so good. Defintely MUCH better in the wet and dry than the worn General XP2000Z4 tires I was using, and quieter too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back