Pickup truck tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
That.

And, of course, it would be VERY easy to deliberately tank a hillclimb to make the Duratrac look better..........

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Nissan Titan didn't make it up with its lockers. Watch the videos unless you enjoy arguing from a position of ignorance.

I find it funny you mention ignorance.. but the titan has only a rear locker.

The powerwagon has front and rear. It also has a winch and is basically a total beast offroad.

Also conditions vary day to day. So basically unless they test 2 different tires with the same driver at pretty much the same time its not very repeatable.

And if you had any integrity and watched the videos, you would have seen that BOTH of the Titan's front wheels were spinning. BOTH, at the same time.

The Raptor got out if its trouble by using the built in winch.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Nissan Titan didn't make it up with its lockers. Watch the videos unless you enjoy arguing from a position of ignorance.

I find it funny you mention ignorance.. but the titan has only a rear locker.

The powerwagon has front and rear. It also has a winch and is basically a total beast offroad.

Also conditions vary day to day. So basically unless they test 2 different tires with the same driver at pretty much the same time its not very repeatable.

And if you had any integrity and watched the videos, you would have seen that BOTH of the Titan's front wheels were spinning. BOTH, at the same time.

The Raptor got out if its trouble by using the built in winch.

So you are calling me dishonest because a titan without a front locker.... that was spinning both front tires its suddenly equal to a powerwagon?

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Mods already deleted a bunch of posts in here. I suggest we stay on topic.

While the goodyear is a good tire.. those videos are worthless at proving it better than other tires. I did watch the videos. I guess no front locker = front locker now???? Next you will be telling me a regular wrangler with tires is as good as a rubicon?

I bought a 2500HD Chevy with Duratrack's on it. They looked great, all macho with the tread going down the sidewalls and thought they would do great in winter. Wrong, at least when worn to 5/32". I had to engage 4x4 on any snow. Not only were they loud and rough riding, but the anti lock brakes were constantly activating.

Just fitted a set of General Grabber Arctic LT's and the ride and quiet are amazing for an LT tire with 60-80psi. Cant wait for the first snow to try them out. I had Grabber AT2's on the Tundra and noise was also an issue, yet traction on compact snow and ice was no better than the stock Bridgestone Duelers. Most All Terrain tires don't have even as much siping as all-season passenger tires. Maybe in deep powder snow A/T's work, but not in the conditions I drive all winter.

Looking at some tire weights on the Cooper ST Maxx as well as the BFG ATKO2 and its making me think... Other than the Cooper AT3 and ATW, is anybody offering a 285/70r17 tire in P ratings instead of LT? I don't mind a little hit in mileage but I'm wondering if the combination of a slightly more aggressive AT tire PLUS going to a heavier weight rating will make more of an impact than I'd like (thinking not just mpg but also acceleration and stopping)?

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I bought a 2500HD Chevy with Duratrack's on it. They looked great, all macho with the tread going down the sidewalls and thought they would do great in winter. Wrong, at least when worn to 5/32". I had to engage 4x4 on any snow. Not only were they loud and rough riding, but the anti lock brakes were constantly activating.

Just fitted a set of General Grabber Arctic LT's and the ride and quiet are amazing for an LT tire with 60-80psi. Cant wait for the first snow to try them out. I had Grabber AT2's on the Tundra and noise was also an issue, yet traction on compact snow and ice was no better than the stock Bridgestone Duelers. Most All Terrain tires don't have even as much siping as all-season passenger tires. Maybe in deep powder snow A/T's work, but not in the conditions I drive all winter.

Unless loaded to the gills, why would you run 60-80 psi in them? My 2015 Chevy 2500, I typically run my tires at 50-55 psi when empty or light loaded. Much better tire performance, life, and fuel economy. That latter sounds counterintuitive, but running the higher pressures when empty promotes more wheel hop on bumpy roads and all kinds of micro managing by the anti slip electronics. The auto/pickup tire OEM's are not very forthcoming with good loading pressure charts for their tires like on the commercial side of things. Commercial tires, they provide very good load pressure charts to show proper inflation for various loads on the tires. My semi truck, proper loading on them is 95 psi for 17,000 lb drive axle even though the tire is rated for 120 psi. Got 447,000 miles out of the last set. So I extrapolate somewhat and run my 2500 tires at around 55 psi when empty and only inflate up to GM recommended 60F 70R when loaded up. Running a tire inflated higher than is good for the load will negatively affect traction, braking, etc.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Unless loaded to the gills, why would you run 60-80 psi in them? My 2015 Chevy 2500, I typically run my tires at 50-55 psi when empty or light loaded. Much better tire performance, life, and fuel economy. That latter sounds counterintuitive, but running the higher pressures when empty promotes more wheel hop on bumpy roads and all kinds of micro managing by the anti slip electronics. The auto/pickup tire OEM's are not very forthcoming with good loading pressure charts for their tires like on the commercial side of things. Commercial tires, they provide very good load pressure charts to show proper inflation for various loads on the tires. My semi truck, proper loading on them is 95 psi for 17,000 lb drive axle even though the tire is rated for 120 psi. Got 447,000 miles out of the last set. So I extrapolate somewhat and run my 2500 tires at around 55 psi when empty and only inflate up to GM recommended 60F 70R when loaded up. Running a tire inflated higher than is good for the load will negatively affect traction, braking, etc.

I agree with you on all counts. When I left the tire shop, the new tires were inflated to the 60F/80R by them, based on the door post sticker. That gave me the impression of quiet ride in a worst case condition (unloaded). Only when the truck has the slide-in cabover camper do I inflate to those pressures. When lightly loaded, I reduce the rears to 60psi. It would help a great deal if GM would provide better guidance in the owners manual, but the lawyers would not let the engineers do that.

Winter driving is a little tricky. If you want to "float" over soft snow (or sand in the summer) you reduce tire pressures. On compact snow and ice, I find higher pressures work better, also reducing hydroplaning in rain. Antilock brakes activate less often, for instance. Large commercial vehicles with air brakes may behave differently, as I dont have that experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back