Picked Up Some Pennzoil Platinum 0w20

Here you go...https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/pennzoil-platinum-rewards-national-promotion.html#iframe=L0RJWS9PMjIxN18yMi8
This is awesome. Thanks for posting it.
I signed up for it and it looks like I'll have the 2 jugs of PP for about $9 each after all has been said and done.

How convenient nowadays to get a rebate. 40 years ago, in order to get a rebate you have to buy the box of I believe 12 qts of oil, you have to cut the rebate form printed on the box, with your original receipt & the 12 foils from the bottle (very messy) and mail it in. That it is way back then. Pennzoil & Quaker State before they merged where one-on-one competing for each other.

That $19.65 per 5 qt jug of PP ow20 seems to be gone.
Now it's $24.98, the same price as if you bought it in store.
I'm glad I grabbed 2 of them while I could.

And they now seem to want $50 for a 12 qt box of 0w20 ST FS.
Good night! It was under $30 just a little over a year ago, then $40, now $50.
That's a 66% price hike in the last year.
$21.47 for a 5 qt jug of ST FS now. I can get QS FS for less than that.
QS FS is still under $20.

Last edited:
WM sells both the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic oil (known to us here over the years) along with their new , less expensive "Pennzoil Synthetic" series oils (probably closer to Super Tech , Havoline , etc. synthetic oil spec)s . *If I am going to use Pennzoil - I use Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil .

Last edited:
WM sells both the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic oil (known to us here over the years) along with their new , less expensive "Pennzoil Synthetic" series oils (probably closer to Super Tech , Havoline , etc. synthetic oil spec)s . *If I am going to use Pennzoil - I use Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil .
Is Pennzoil's new less expensive "Pennzoil Synthetic" Dexos II?

The statement that the OP made that caught my eye in this thread was, "I'll probably not buy ST again. Not that it's a bad oil, but I prefer other brands for some reason."

You should be able to elucidate what that reason really is is.
Was it marketing making you think PP was superior ?
or is there something in how the engine runs with the ST that bothers you.

thank you.

Tuff crowd here Mr. Luke… But good choice.
Just trying to mine some info from a thread that was basically "I bough some oil"

Well, whoop-de-do for you! Silver star for great accomplishment. Luke :)

But, the OP did find there is a rebate. All is not lost.

The Force is strong with this one.

Just trying to mine some info from a thread that was basically "I bough some oil"

All wouldn't have been lost even if not for the rebate. At
I like the way my engine sounds better with NAPA FS made by Valvoline than ST FS. I installed the last 4 quarts I had left of ST FS and thought I'd see how long I can stand to run it, because it was time for a 6 month OCI. At times I felt I might run it for 6 months but I'm feeling like changing it for PP again and I may do so any day if I get the urge. I haven't ran PP since I had my Nissan Sentra a few years ago. I got to the point where I'd rather pay a few bucks more for a brand name oil. I don't really care about test results of all these oils, I just would rather take my chances with name brand oils. I DIY so it only costs me about $50-$55 a year for 2 OCIs. I feel like my engine is more protected with name brand oils. IMHO NAPA FS is an excellent oil. It's just my own personal take on ST FS as opposed to name brand oils and that's what I prefer.

But with that said there is a good chance I'll run the ST FS for 6 months.
I know in my heart that it's able to be ran that long.
It doesn't seem as though I'm damaging my engine by running ST FS, even though other oils seem to make my engine run quieter.
It will only get 2000 to 3000 miles if I run it 6 months.

But with that said there is a good chance I'll run the ST FS for 6 months.
I know in my heart that it's able to be ran that long.
It doesn't seem as though I'm damaging my engine by running ST FS, even though other oils seem to make my engine run quieter.
It will only get 2000 to 3000 miles if I run it 6 months

The ST FS I have used a few years ago wasn't that great. it also smelled like kerosene. The Engine ran ralph on it.
Went to the new and just launched SS Magnatec 5W30 (with the scratch and feel labels) and that was fantastic - so good I didnt want to take it out. I think I changed it just shy of 7k and it still looked serviceable.

I have 10w30 Quaker State FS in the Ford spec'd for 5W20 and that is quiet and smooth stuff.

Please tell me something: If I happen to get the urge to do an OCI and recycle my ST FS at 500 +/- miles soon, should I also replace the Fram oil filter then or could I run it for at least 6 months with the new PP I intend to run?

I toyed with the idea of doing an OCI or waiting 6 months with that ST FS, but today I said to myself "let's do it" so I have PP 0w20 in my engine now.
I put 383 miles on the ST FS, that was the last of my ST stash. Then I decided I needed to have PP in my engine today.

ST is a good oil and it probably deserves more credit than I sometimes give it, but I really do like PP and NAPA FS oils better.
I will run this PP for at least 6 months, possibly even 12. We'll see how ambitious I am this fall.

P4270214.JPG

Last edited:
Here you go...https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/pennzoil-platinum-rewards-national-promotion.html#iframe=L0RJWS9PMjIxN18yMi8
Does Pennzoil have a rebate like this every year? If so, I will run PP all the time.
Was thinking of getting some Valvoline with the $5 rebate per each 5 qt jug, but that's about $19.57 each and the PZ end cost is much lower.

Back