Picked up a maverick 88 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
20 gauge pump. One of the only missing in my collection of shotguns.

$130 otd. I've yet to try it but heard they're good. Just thought I'd share.

I picked up an 88 in 12 gauge a few years ago from Walmart for like $200 out the door. Haven't shot it a ton, it was for just having an extra 12GA that I wasn't going to have to worry about since it was inexpensive. I have to say it's the best bang for the buck shotgun ever. Never had a single problem of any sort. Should go get the 20. The Mossberg 500 right next to it in the display case is like $60 more (used to be anyway) but aside from the safety being in a different place it's about the same. The Maverick 88 is a no brainer IMO. Great basic work horse shotgun.

Are Maverick and Mossberg related somehow? They look very mechanically similar to each other.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Are Maverick and Mossberg related somehow? They look very mechanically similar to each other.

Mossberg makes Maverick, but builds them in Mexico. Practically identical. Tang safety on the mossberg; trigger guard safety on the maverick. That's about the only difference.

Shot it today by the way. Recoil was sharp and harsh, probably due to the light weight, but nothing I can't get used to.

My Maverick I had was made in Texas not Mexico. Now I did hear back when I bought mine that many of the parts were coming in from mexico and then finished and assembled in Texas.

^ ^ ^

So I guess if a guy has no problem not knowing where it was manufactured or assembled, and it runs like a top, the 88 seems to be the ticket.

Note I also have a slightly shorter Mossy 500 Slugster, which I also enjoy, and the action is about identical, I almost want to say a tad smoother on the 88 if that's at all possible. Both great guns - the 500 is my 12 gauge pump. It points like a setter and its ready for anything.

A 20gauge is also a good choice for home defense. My 12gauge 870 stays within my reach every night. In fact I feel weird the few times a year I am traveling I don't have it next to my bed. I like new guns but love them even more when they wear-in and get striations down the magazine tube from use...it's a testament to its use and utility and the memories you have with it...the early morning hunt, the skeet shooting on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon, the joy out of cleaning it after a day of shooting. Enjoy it.

I have an 88 that I inherited from my grandfather. I know for a fact that he bought it at Wal-Mart in the late 80s... I know he didn't give over $200 OTD.

I've shot skeet with it, and also done some blasting with the heaviest loads I could find - 3" 000 Buck and slugs. It kicks hard. Fun stuff. I don't think I've ever bothered to clean or oil it, and it's got a couple of rust spots on the outside of the barrel. In fact, I've been thinking about how I could remove those rust spots.

Once you have rust on a gun, it is permanent damage to the finish. The best you can do is soak it in a good penetrating oil and LIGHTLY rub it with 0000 steel wool to remove it when its soft. Then clean it, apply some cold bluing (I use Vans instant gun blue) and re oil. Vans is awesome for matching, but you will likely have some pitting/etching to show there was rust.

Last edited:
I think another limitation of the Maverick is the barrels don't interchange with the rest of the Mossberg line. Either that or you can't change the barrels at all. Are either of those statements right? I'm not all that familiar with the Mavericks myself. I prefer the top-side tang safety of the 500.

The barrels interchange. I slapped Mossy 500 barrels on them before. It works as long as the mag tube capacity is the same.

My house gun is a Maverick 88 Mariner 8-shot. Black synthetic stock & forend, 20 inch cylinder bore barrel, silver coating(the Mossberg "Marinecoat(Cote? Kote?) on barrel & full-length magazine tube, normally kept loaded with the old standard 00 buckshot loads(2 3/4", 9 pellets). Since I grew up hunting & shooting with Dad's Model 61 Winchester .22, Model 17 Remington 20 gauge, and then my own Model 870 Remington 20 gauge, I much prefer the safety on the trigger guard.

For a budget shotgun, I don't think you can beat a Maverick 88. An old friend bought one about 12 yrs ago & keeps it locked up in a small cabin on his deer lease. Originally intended for turkeys, squirrels, rabbits & birds, he says it has by now taken at least 10 deer & several javelina & coyotes. 28" vent rib barrel with screw-in choke, he considers it the perfect spare gun for the lease, where everyone brings a deer rifle & maybe a handgun.

And, FWIW- on my Maverick 88 Mariner, that silver finish is a real attention getter!
wink.gif

The barrels interchange with the 500. A lot of the parts do, but not all. IMO, The 500 is a better gun overall. The 88 would be the ticket for someone just looking for a home defense gun for really cheap. The 500 is made in usa, and probably has more after market parts for it than any other shotgun. Both are tough as nails. The thing that really bugs me is the safety on the 88 is on the front of the trigger guard. The 500 has the thumb safety on the rear of the receiver. It is the best safety design ever IMO. Its the reason I absolutely love mossberg 500's, and browning bps pumps.

Originally Posted By: 20pss
The barrels interchange with the 500. A lot of the parts do, but not all. IMO, The 500 is a better gun overall. The 88 would be the ticket for someone just looking for a home defense gun for really cheap. The 500 is made in usa, and probably has more after market parts for it than any other shotgun. Both are tough as nails. The thing that really bugs me is the safety on the 88 is on the front of the trigger guard. The 500 has the thumb safety on the rear of the receiver. It is the best safety design ever IMO. Its the reason I absolutely love mossberg 500's, and browning bps pumps.

If you have a speed feed or other buttstock with a pistol grip on the gun you learn to like where the safety on the Maverick is. Easy to manipulate with your trigger finger. But on a conventional stock, the mossy is indeed in a better location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back