Picked up a Jetta 1.8 Turbo -Additive Rec. anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has 38000 miles and seems in great shape. Any owners of this powertain on this board?

Any suggestions on what I should do as the 2nd owner of this vehicle?

Last question - Is it a reliable car?

Thanks

I'm the owner of a '00 GTI 1.8T.

I would not go out of my way to do anything special, other than making sure you use a VW 502.00 rated oil & change it every 5k or there-abouts.

No, I would not consider the Jetta, or any VW for that matter, to be a reliable car. The engines will generally last forever; it's the electrical, emissions, and automatic transmission gremlins that will drive you nuts.

I'm no expert, but small engine and turbo makes me think of Redline Oil. You won't need any additive with Redline as it has gobs of zddp and moly and it's ester base will take all that the turbo can throw at it. For that matter, might as well fill the tranny with Redline ATF (or manual tranny fluid if that is the case). Once you get the redline in, run it hard and have fun.

Perhaps you could enlighten me on issues you've experienced?

I'm looking to prevent as many of them as I can. Hopefully, they would have sorted the '00 issues out by '04.

I think they are still having electronics problems even in 2007 VWs. There is no real way to prevent problems w/out getting the poor connections/bad electronics replaces and redone.

For me, it's been multiple airbag failures & a secondary air injection fault code that I can not pinpoint. There have been other problems, too, but they were VWOA extended warranty items, whose problems have not returned.

I have a 2002 GTI 1.8T 337 and I really have not had any major problems, especially with the engine/ drivetrain.

Here is a short list of problems I have had:
-Check Engine light due to coil packs which was replaced under warranty. VW had a MAJOR recall on this.
-Both window regulators failed. Also a major VW recall
-HVAC light out. Another typical VW problem, fixed under warranty
-Brake light switch broke. Again a typical VW item. COvered under warranty.
-Turn signal switch replaced due to the turn off mechanism sticking. Not covered under warranty, but done on my own and cost me 20 bucks.
- 3CV boots torn (probably due to NYC roads. This was the biggest repair and cost me $500, because I couldn't do it on my own.

I have been [pretty good in keeping up with the maintenance, and the 1.8T is a real needy car.
SInce you will be coming to the 40K maintenance, if you plan on taking it to the dealer, be prepared to bend over and clench your teeth, because they will charge you anywhere from 400- 800 bucks.

Meanwhile you can do all your own maintenance for about 100-150 in parts for the 40K service. If you need info about the services etc, go to vwvortex.com and you will find plenty of DIYs fo rthis engine. Search under my screen name and you will find some good info as well, because I have documented pretty much everything that I have done to the car.

I started using synthetic oil at about 18000- 20000 and have changed it every 5000 miles. Now I am going to stretch out the intervals to 7500 and try 10000 as well depending how the 7500 UOA comes back.

I also am switching to the bigger oil filter, which will increase the oil capacity to 5 liters instead of 4.5.

I just changed my fuel filter (I am at 60 000 miles) and have a gallon of FP3000 ready to use.

I plan on keeping the car for a while and hopefully this program will keep it nice and running.

By the way, I have not had any real electrical problems yet. I will probably jinx myself, but that is just how it goes.

@Wavinwayne, do you have a VAG-COM? and do you have a Bentley manual on CD? If you need any help PM me and I will see if I can help you out.

FYI: I just traded in the Mustang for a 2001 Jetta 1.8T with 88K miles. Everything looks good on the car right now! I'm going to need to become an expert at service on this car, because I intend to avoid the dealer like the plague.

My '81 Rabbit had window regulator issues. You would think VW could design a working window regulator in the past 1/4 century.

The dealer always had them in stock.

Quote:

It's a sludgemonster I believe. Auto-Rx it then use the maintenance dose.

Nope. The sludgemonster was the Passat, which had the longitudionaly mounted motor. The Jetta/ GTI have the transverse mounted motor.

Passat's oil pan and filter were really small and in the US the dealerships were still using conventional oils, so it was a very bad combination.

That said, with bad maintenance any car with a turbo can be a candidate for sludge. Usually the Jetta/ GTI 1.8Ts should be fine, as long as the person used synthetic.

Quote:

FYI: I just traded in the Mustang for a 2001 Jetta 1.8T with 88K miles. Everything looks good on the car right now! I'm going to need to become an expert at service on this car, because I intend to avoid the dealer like the plague.

I know it should have been already done, but did you check when the timing belt was done on that car? That is a very major service, usually performed around 60-75 K miles, although VW in their maintenance manual says that it can go up to 105 K miles, which has not been true.

Otherwise go to vwvortex.com and find a plethora of info about the engine and the car.

Quote:

I'm no expert, but small engine and turbo makes me think of Redline Oil. You won't need any additive with Redline as it has gobs of zddp and moly and it's ester base will take all that the turbo can throw at it.

In an internal combustion engine which exposes oil to moisture, ester's lose the supremacy that they have in jet engines. Redline acidifies more than many other motor oils; TAN (Total Acid Number) rises quickly. I probably will screw this up but what's best for the goose isn't what's best for the chicken.

Quote:

Quote:

I know it should have been already done, but did you check when the timing belt was done on that car? That is a very major service, usually performed around 60-75 K miles, although VW in their maintenance manual says that it can go up to 105 K miles, which has not been true.

Otherwise go to vwvortex.com and find a plethora of info about the engine and the car.

Thanks. I hope to inspect the timing belt soon.

One nice thing, I can see the serpentine belt, and that looks practically new. No cracks. Also, the car is extremely clean. I'm hoping this car has been regularly dealer serviced, and that both of the belts have been changed.

I'm also gearing up to change out the AT fluid and filter ASAP.

CRW, ar eyou doing the AT fluid change yourself?

I am pretty sure you need some kind of a special "tool"(pump) to get the fluid in the tranny.

Manual transmission is a whole different story and is easier.

Quote:

In an internal combustion engine which exposes oil to moisture, ester's lose the supremacy that they have in jet engines. Redline acidifies more than many other motor oils; TAN (Total Acid Number) rises quickly. I probably will screw this up but what's best for the goose isn't what's best for the chicken.

The LEAKS, don't forget the LEAKS.....
smile.gif

Comming from a VW tech make sure to use synthetic oil for every oil change... I cant stress this enough especially if your unsure of the previous history. Ill recommend Syntec 5w-40 or Rotella T. Big Services are due every 40k miles. Biggest items being spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, and fuel filter. If the Timing belt has not been done by 80k you better get it done ASAP.... Ive see far to many of these break. For the transmission depending on which one it has the fluid can be very expensive.... Ive seen it up to $40 per quart from the dealer. Other than that hang on for the normal items that go bad. Expect window problems at some point in time if it hasnt happend already. Temp sensors and mass air meters are another common occurance. May want to call the dealer for to have a VIN status ran to check for open recalls. Many VW's have multiple recalls that should be taken care of.

Redline could be an option, but why don't you try out the Eneos oil? It should do well in your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back