PH 2808 TORN! CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon BITOGERS:)

Off of my older retired co workers 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. Pretty disgusted with this as i installed it on May this year along with VWB 5w30. Combo was in and on vehicle exactly 2,788 miles. Put in some VWB 5W30 I had in "da stash" and a HYUNDAI/KIA Premium Guard OEM knockoff.

Enjoy the pics and I'll steer far, far clear of anything champion labs. Thats just my 2 cents

ADBV was rock hard also. Media was somewhat solid but must have been bad batch or..... to tear
frown.gif

20181018_160122.jpg

20181018_160314.jpg

20181018_160346.jpg

20181018_160358.jpg

20181018_160432.jpg

20181018_160417.jpg

20181018_160440.jpg

20181018_160458.jpg

I couldn't notice the torn part but I take your word for it. Thanks, I am just sticking with Wix.

That tear looks a lot like what happened to the very last filter I took off my Mazda, a Supertech 3593. Of all the filters I've dissected, that was the only one with a media tear I've ever seen in person.

Originally Posted by wdn
I couldn't notice the torn part but I take your word for it. Thanks, I am just sticking with Wix.

Pics 3,4, and 5 show the tear

Originally Posted by CR94
That tear looks a lot like what happened to the very last filter I took off my Mazda, a Supertech 3593. Of all the filters I've dissected, that was the only one with a media tear I've ever seen in person.

Yeah, I'm glad my friend does once a year oil changes as he doesn't put many miles on the vehicle

Adam-was that a "Champ" labeled filter? Or some other brand name? Just so I know what to avoid. I agree with you, there's no excuse for a filter tearing under 3K, no matter who made it!

Is the center tube holes or louvers?

So is Champ taking notes from Puro?
Hope this does not turn into another tearing issue, I plan on using the Supertech filter in my mom's Vue (a cartridge filter, so maybe not an issue?).

I also wonder if the e-core model would have an issue, since they have fiber endcaps it is not as rigid and may not tear? Maybe Fram was onto something when the did the fiber endcaps?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Adam-was that a "Champ" labeled filter? Or some other brand name? Just so I know what to avoid. I agree with you, there's no excuse for a filter tearing under 3K, no matter who made it!

CHAMP as in Champion Laboratories

20181018_160127.jpg

Originally Posted by blupupher
Is the center tube holes or louvers?

So is Champ taking notes from Puro?
Hope this does not turn into another tearing issue, I plan on using the Supertech filter in my mom's Vue (a cartridge filter, so maybe not an issue?).

I also wonder if the e-core model would have an issue, since they have fiber endcaps it is not as rigid and may not tear? Maybe Fram was onto something when the did the fiber endcaps?

Louvers

20181018_160451.jpg

20181018_160152.jpg

Originally Posted by CT8
That is the high flow version of the Purolater line of filters.

Least this one is
smile.gif

I sure hope these dont turn into "tearolator epidemic" we all saw

Adam,

Thanks the C&P.

Is that a 2.4, 3.3, or 2.0T Santa Fe? The oil doesn't look sooty at all for a GDi. Do they mostly use Conventional (blend) Oil? Running well?
Sorry for going off on a tangent
wink.gif

Thank you for the cut and post
thumbsup2.gif

Too bad it tore in service. Purolator is getting contagious
mad.gif
45.gif

Even if Hyundais require OEM filters, it still shouldn't tear.

Cheap Champ Chimp

Originally Posted by wemay
Adam,

Thanks the C&P.

Is that a 2.4, 3.3, or 2.0T Santa Fe? The oil doesn't look sooty at all for a GDi. Do they mostly use Conventional (blend) Oil? Running well?
wink.gif

2.4 engine. This is co workers car. I like to use valvoline syn or QSUD/QSAD

Vehicle runs well also

No worries Wemay as glad you are here with us
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by wemay
Adam,

Thanks the C&P.

wink.gif

2.4 engine. This is co workers car. I like to use valvoline syn or QSUD/QSAD

Vehicle runs well also

No worries Wemay as glad you are here with us
smile.gif

Thanks again
thumbsup2.gif

This is disappointing. This along with the sealant threads of late is turning me off Champion filters as well. The one currently on our car will be the last

Originally Posted by PimTac
This is disappointing. This along with the sealant threads of late is turning me off Champion filters as well. The one currently on our car will be the last

Yeah, I read the thread about M1 filter and sealer thread.

Give me a WIX or Tough Guard or Baldwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back