Peugeot 1.6 16v engine cleanliness after 186k miles on 20k intervals

Just needed to pull of the valve cover of this car to lookup which type of valve cover gasket it had because it was leaking lightly.
That's also why this picture is not the best.

I was amazed at how clean this engine was after 19 years and 186k miles.

According to service book this car had its ocis at the oem service interval of 20k miles.

This is a EDM only Peugeot 206 1.6 16v.

Think the contributing factors to this clean engine are:

No short commuting trips, previous owner used to drive around 18k a year with it.

Italian tune up every now and then

Probably has had high quality oils all its life.

Simple port injection engine with simple and well designed pcv system which is still intact/working after almost 20 years.

The previous oci was done by me with motul xcess 5w40. It was changed 2000 miles ago by me with fuchs titan gt1 c3 pro 5w30 which i have in bulk for my bmw.

Considering this car is worth about 1000 euros i don't really bother to stick with the oem specs any more. This engine is from late 90s/begin 2000 and was speced for 5w40. However as expected it runs on 5w30 without problems.

20220524_195615.jpg
20220524_195719.jpg

Looks fabulous (y)
And even though most of us here have now extended our OCIs further than we once did before coming to this forum, many of us still wouldn't do 20K OCIs

Even the underside of the valve cover is spotless, pretty amazing. As you said, the lack of many short drives and decent PCV system is probably why it stayed that clean, especially considering long 20K OCIs.

Reactions: FCD
peugeot dealers would have used Total quartz 9000 in this. We did when I was a peugeot tech in those years, and they all used Total AFAIK.

I am not sure on which oils this car has run during its lifetime. Indeed Total is the peugeot oem supplier however i guess this car has not seen a dealer for about the past 12 years. I know a bosch car center did maintain it with the previous owner for about 5 years but as far as i know they dont have a fixed oil supplier so could be anything.

Just needed to pull of the valve cover of this car to lookup which type of valve cover gasket it had because it was leaking lightly.
Thats also why this picture is not the best.

I was amazed at how clean this engine was after 19 years and 186k miles.

According to service book this car had its ocis at the oem service interval of 20k miles.

This is a EDM only peugeot 206 1.6 16v.

Think the contributing factors to this clean engine are:

No short commuting trips, previous owner used to drive around 18k a year with it.

Italiane tune up every know and then

Probably has had high quality oils all its life.

Simple port injection engine with simple and well designed pcv system which is still intact/working after almost 20 years.

The previous oci was done by me with motul xcess 5w40. It was changed 2000 miles ago by me with fuchs titan gt1 c3 pro 5w30 which i have in bulk for my bmw.

Considering this car is worth about 1000 euros i dont really bother to stick with the oem specs any more. This engine is from late 90s/begin 2000 and was specced for 5w40. However as expected it runs on 5w30 without problems.
b71 2296?
or b71 2290 has been used?

b71 2296?
or b71 2290 has been used?
No idea which psa spec was used back in the day.

I guess this car has seen a lot of brands and specs during its life.

As i said it now runs on fuchs 5w30 bmw ll04-mb 229.51 oil.

These engines are known as being super reliable. Old school simple timing belt with no vvt, cast iron block, port injection. As long as you change the belt in time these engines easily outlast the cars.

Peugeot later replaced these engines with the BMW designed 1.6 turbo engines, same as used in the mini coopers. This however was an outright disaster because every single part of that engine was problematic.

Back