Pet peeve!! MOBIL not MOBILE

My dad has his own quirks. He just got an Apple Watch, but keeps on referring to it as an "iWatch". Mostly drives his fairly new Tesla Model 3, but keeps on referring to it as an "e-car". Drives me nuts.
I want an automatic toilet paper dispenser so I can call it an "iWipe".

Yes, but the location moves.
This reminds me of an experience from a long, long time ago. Absolutely true story.

I was working as a salesman at a Chevrolet/Oldsmobile dealership. We had a mandatory sales meeting every Monday at 8:00 AM. One Monday, one of the other salesmen didn't show up for the Monday sales meeting.

About a half hour after the meeting was over, the store manager came out of his office and announced that the absent salesman had called. He had driven, in his company owned demo, to Las Vegas to gamble for the weekend, lost everything, and got totally smashed. He was calling to see if the manager could send him an advance on his next paycheck, so he could buy gas to get home. This is how the conversation started. Keep in mind that the salesman's speech was slurred, as he was still drunk, and shouldn't have been driving.

Salesman: "Hi Brian, this is Brent." Manager: "Brent, where are you, that you missed the sales meeting?" Salesman: "I'm at a Mmm...o...b...i...l gas station." A long pause followed by the following clarification. "The gas station is standing still, but the sign says it is Mmm...o...b...i...l." 😅 :ROFLMAO: 😂 😅:ROFLMAO:

My dad has his own quirks. He just got an Apple Watch, but keeps on referring to it as an "iWatch". Mostly drives his fairly new Tesla Model 3, but keeps on referring to it as an "e-car". Drives me nuts.
Did you move out yet? I lightly troll my kids and have done so since they were babies. It's good parenting OPSEC-- they think I'm stupid so they don't cover their tracks very well and I can stay on top of them.

Just had to vent! I spend some time on other forums- especially the Corvette ones and EVERY time there is a "what oil to use" thread there are several people saying mobile instead of MOBIL and that, to be honest, just irrates me to no end. There are a few here on BITOG but that seems to have gotten better as we all educate around here lol!
I agree, I used to do it too. But mobil also can be autocorrected sometimes. Though it didnt happen this time on my Mac using Safari.
Maybe it's not "us" that got better but auto correct got better? I have no idea 😊

I never understood it on "normal" words because it's obviously possessive but I was guilty of this on acronyms.

Then decided that wasn't right and just stopped using an apostrophe but of course the "s" still has to be lower case or it looks like part of the acronym.

Just today I got off my digital butt and searched it, apparently it's supposed to be like plural possessive with an s THEN apostrophe. I'm not sure I've ever actually seen this applied in real life, or maybe I just overlooked it when I did.

According to this, plural of NGO would be NGOs'

But this was just a poster responding to the question so I wonder if they're really correct???

I am generally wary of crowdsourced information sites like Quora. Too much of the internet is GIGO, and one of the scarier parts of AI is how it's being trained.

Two more:

brakes/breaks
principal/principle

I once heard a high school teacher say "code" instead of cold, and "sode" instead of sold. I couldn't tell if it was laziness, a speech impediment, or some sort of dialect or region-specific pronunciation.

The crazy thing was it was in the winter, and she kept talking about Facebook Marketplace and the weather, so she kept saying both of those words over and over. It was driving me nuts. I SO wanted to correct her, but kept my mouth shut.

Many years ago, when I was around 12 years old, I was riding in a car back seat, occupied by my mother's friend and her husband. They were trying to locate a house in dim light.

The woman said : "Its the house with the ornings"

The husband responded "What ornings? I don't see any ornings. I had to stifle my laughter.

Of course, they were referring to "awnings".

1) Here's a mispronounced word example. Liberry (where books are kept)

2) And try to remember folks....it's , "...too large a filter for that location".
It's not, "Too large OF a filter for that location".

3) Also, "He should've gone to third on that play". It's not, "He should've went to third on that play".

#s 2 and 3 are unbelievably common.

Your typical Corvette owner (boomer) isn't one for Internet forum grammer 🙄
Bless their hearts, you'll get the lead stare if you dare call them out on it 😤
They're too tied up with spray waxing the thing, and going out for a fresh pair of New Balances 😭

All coolant = Prestone
All wax = Simoniz
They want the best synthetic oil (because it's a Corvette 👀) but get furious if it costs more (because it's just a Chevy 🤷‍♂️)
😒

Cognitive dissonance and people's unwillingness to READ WHAT'S DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THEM makes be believe that people fail upwards who don't deserve it 🙄
I started liking Nike Monarchs recently, so I guess it's time to buy me a C4 Corvette. 😂

Oh if we're going down the mispronunciation rabbit hole, I can't understand EK-specially.

How does anyone find a hard consonant immediately after the first letter???

Just had to vent! I spend some time on other forums- especially the Corvette ones and EVERY time there is a "what oil to use" thread there are several people saying mobile instead of MOBIL and that, to be honest, just irrates me to no end. There are a few here on BITOG but that seems to have gotten better as we all educate around here lol!
Technically, wouldn't it be "Mobil" and not "MOBIL?" :unsure:

Mobil 1 is a brand of synthetic motor oil and other automotive lubrication products.

I'm cool with Mobile, just don't thank me advance for something I haven't decided to do yet 🤣 🤣 🤣

Back