Pet peeve!! MOBIL not MOBILE

I once heard a high school teacher say "code" instead of cold, and "sode" instead of sold. I couldn't tell if it was laziness, a speech impediment, or some sort of dialect or region-specific pronunciation.

The crazy thing was it was in the winter, and she kept talking about Facebook Marketplace and the weather, so she kept saying both of those words over and over. It was driving me nuts. I SO wanted to correct her, but kept my mouth shut.

Speaking of high schools, I once had a note come into my office from a parent, asking her kid to be excused from school the day before because he had "Loose vowels."

Had another tell me that I needed to excuse his son's behavior because he was "bipolo."

We have a forum member here who posts exactly like that, in every post. I won't name him, but hopefully he'll recognize himself. But most likely he won't.
I do a lot of that 'cause I consider a forum like this a casual conversation (aka bench racing) vs a technical white paper

To me something like "prolly" is so obvious a misspelling that it's not a misspelling at all -- it's more like slang or even a writing style, albeit a VERY informal style which, again, I consider 100% acceptable on a forum of gearheads talking about wrenching.

If I'm composing a business email or resume the rules are VERY VERY different

YMMV

I do a lot of that 'cause I consider a forum like this a casual conversation (aka bench racing) vs a technical white paper

To me something like "prolly" is so obvious a misspelling that it's not a misspelling at all -- it's more like slang or even a writing style, albeit a VERY informal style which, again, I consider 100% acceptable on a forum of gearheads talking about wrenching.
No worries, it isn't you.

Back