Permatran 821 xl alternative

jt7

Looking at alternatives to Permatran 821xl for my Massey Ferguson 1742 tractor, i see an oil that "meets Massey Ferguson M1143,M1145". I have searched but cant seem to find what these specs are. Could someone point me in right direction to look up these specs please?

Specs from most are usually unknown. You'll just have to use it, or something that is similar, or something that meets/exceeds 821xl.

821xl.jpg

821xlpermatran.jpg

I've got 2 little Massey's and I run Chevron All Weather THF (the orange syn stuff). It's a drop in for 821XL or any 1143 or 1145 fluid. I switched more for its outstanding cold weather properties but it has enough VI in it (I guess) that at 100C it is actually a tad thicker than 821XL. Both mine are hydrostats, so I can't speak to how it feels in something with clutches if yours has them. Product link is Canadian, but is available in US too.

I've got 2 little Massey's and I run Chevron All Weather THF (the orange syn stuff). It's a drop in for 821XL or any 1143 or 1145 fluid. I switched more for its outstanding cold weather properties but it has enough VI in it (I guess) that at 100C it is actually a tad thicker than 821XL. Both mine are hydrostats, so I can't speak to how it feels in something with clutches if yours has them. Product link is Canadian, but is available in US too.

My Massey is HST also. I have narrowed it down to the Chevron fluid you mentioned or Mobil Devlac. The permatran is just crazy expensive plus I'm a 200 mile round trip from dealer.
I've been trying to find what the "M1143 or 1145" specs actually say. Do you know where I can find the numbers for those specs? Are they specific Massey specs?

Most MF specs now are just AGCO specs for markets where Massey is a dominant brand (like the UK). I know I found Permatran specs somewhere to compare the Chevron against before I bought it.
Not sure where you are but I have a pail of Permatran I'll give you (came with the tractors) if you want it.

What Mobil product are you saying is compatible?

Most MF specs now are just AGCO specs for markets where Massey is a dominant brand (like the UK). I know I found Permatran specs somewhere to compare the Chevron against before I bought it.
Not sure where you are but I have a pail of Permatran I'll give you (came with the tractors) if you want it.

What Mobil product are you saying is compatible?
Looking at Mobil Devlac Tractor Hydraulic Fluid. I've seen some people posting that it's same as Mobil 424. Both say replacement for Permatran. Can get Devlac at Tractor Supply for around $85 for 5 gallons. Chevron 1000 THF for about $122 at NAPA. Permatran would be about $140 with shipping. And from what I have been reading Permatran is made by Shell. It's either Rotella HD or Spirax . Found literature from AGCO that shows their lubricant part number with a Shell part number right beside it. I think if Mobil Devlac will work it will be easiest to get. If not I'll probably go with Chevron. I know it's good stuff.
I would assume your Massey's came with Permatran? If so could you notice any difference when you started using Chevron?

Only difference was less startup hydraulic noise in cold weather, and quicker response to control inputs when cold......and bright orange oil in the sight glass😄.

• Helpful
Reactions: jt7
The only thing I will add here is figure the extra cost of the Permatran vs. aftermarket/other fluids over the life of a fluid fill. To me its not worth the gamble. I keep a drum of Hygard because I have a couple new John Deere's and we use it in the older stuff as well. I usually push Schaeffer but the cost difference simply wasn't worth it over the life of the oil vs. the peace of mind.

Also, this is one area where I personally HAVE seen/worked on two oil related failures. John Deere 6200 had the plates delaminate in the transmission twice due to using off brand oil. After the 2nd rebuild the owner switched to Hygard at the recommendation of an oil analysis company and a dealership and has been running for several problem free years now. There was something in the oil that didn't cooperate with the adhesive that bonded the clutch material to the plates.

Back