Periodically cranking small engines during winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Cub Cadet with a Kawasaki twin cylinder engine. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to peridically crank the engine until the oil pressure builds up during winter storage? I have installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. I was thinking about pulling the spark plug wires and cranking it for 10-15 seconds to get oil to the engine parts. I am currently using Mobil 1 10w-30 syn with a couple of ounces of LC20. The engine holds about 2 qts. This spring I am thinking about changine to Rotella T 5w-40 with LC20.

As long as you had all the fuel out of it, I dont see where it would hurt. Atleast it would force you to keep the battery charged. Sounds like you've got one of them fancy CC's! Is it a water cooled kawi twin? FWIW, the 20hp kohler twin in my 2544 purrs like a kitten on RT 5w-40 and a FL400A equiv. filter. I run mine totally out of fuel and crank it over 2-3 times on the off season to see how the battery is doing.

Joel

If you're just talking a few months of down time(winter), I don't see any benefit to turning the engine over every so often.
IF you're talking long term storage, then maybe: keeps the rings from gluing themselves to the cylinder walls.
Still no sure that THAT is even a good idea.

Fogging oil for storage is easy to use and good stuff.

Not sure about nowadays, but engine rebuilders used a 50/50 mix of stp and 30 weight to coat internals and supply excellent lube for start up after sitting for a good length of time.

I'm with dwendt44, I don't see any advantage to cranking it over a few times during the off-season. Are you concerened the engine will set-up during those few months?

What you will get is more engine wear (more cranking in a dry-start condition) as well as more wear on the starter motor and the chance you could run the battery down just enough so that it might not start on its own in the spring.

Yes, if you are concerned about the rings and cylinder walls, I'd change the oil (and filter) then fog it before putting it away for the season. That's it.

Quote:

As long as you had all the fuel out of it, I dont see where it would hurt. Atleast it would force you to keep the battery charged. Sounds like you've got one of them fancy CC's! Is it a water cooled kawi twin? FWIW, the 20hp kohler twin in my 2544 purrs like a kitten on RT 5w-40 and a FL400A equiv. filter. I run mine totally out of fuel and crank it over 2-3 times on the off season to see how the battery is doing.

Joel

No it is an air cooled engine. I leave a Battery Tender attached to the battery thru the winter.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll just skip cranking the engine until the grass needs mowed again.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back