Pep Boys Proline Oil= Conoco

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI,

The guy at Pep Boys confirmed today that Proline Oil is now made by Conoco Phillips. He had the packing slip to prove it. The bottles are identical to Kendall and Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Is there a point to this or just informative?

I think it is interesting information. To the OP, thank you for posting.

Thanks for posting. That makes Conoco product easier to get.
Good to know that house brand actually comes from a good family.
BTW, I will be visiting US in a few days, and would like to pick up some Conoco oil do they have full line of viscosities?. I mean the ussual 20W-50 10W-40 and 5W-20 on top of the ~W30's ??

On a different note, it has allways been a pleasure to visit here on account of the maturity, knowledge and good manners of the members here, as opposed to some other message boards where a seemengly legitimate question would have gotten you a black eye.

What is the price point on this stuff?

Pep-boys is quite a drive for me, but I could make a trip a couple times a year if it were the right deal.

Do they sell it in gallon jugs only, or 5 quart jugs?

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
2.69 a qt and looks like all the weights seemed to be there. I saw 5w20,5w30,10w30,10w40,20w50

You can still get Trop-artic syn blend for $2.08 a QT by the case at SAM's club...

Don't assume that a private label blend is the same product as the brand name label. When ILSAC GF-4 first came out ExxonMobil said that their Mobil branded bulk oil (sold by tanker truck to repair shops & oil change places) wasn't the equal to Mobil 5000 retail oil. All met the spec, but the cheaper bulk stuff held spec for fewer miles. It is entirely possible that the ConocoPhillips oil blended for Pep Boys is lower quality than Conoco/Phillips/76/Kendall brands.

Oddly enough when I owned a '96 Mazda 626 V-6 five speed it used a quart of Pep Boys's oil during a 3000 mile oil change (yes, I did that back then!) NO other brand ever showed any use with the same OCI. No idea who made it back then. I used it one time only.

oilchangeguy,
Thanks for posting.
The qt bottles of ProLine oil at the PepBoy's in my area are stamped with the W/NE on the bottom of the qt bottles just like qt bottles of the PEAK motor oil that I purchaced recently from PB's. Does this tell you anything? I don't know what or who W/NE is!

sorry, but don;t know what that stands for. Sounds like they have some old stock left on the shelf.The new bottles will look just like the Motorcraft except they are black not red.Definitely Conoco oil now. Good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
The qt bottles of ProLine oil at the PepBoy's in my area are stamped with the W/NE on the bottom of the qt bottles just like qt bottles of the PEAK motor oil that I purchaced recently from PB's. Does this tell you anything? I don't know what or who W/NE is!
It has been said, by G-MAN I believe, that WPP means manufactured and bottled by Warren. WNE means bottled by Warren, or so it goes. Can't vouch for truth of that.
21.gif

It is curious that Proline and Peak both have WNE on the bottom.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
2.69 a qt and looks like all the weights seemed to be there. I saw 5w20,5w30,10w30,10w40,20w50

You can still get Trop-artic syn blend for $2.08 a QT by the case at SAM's club...

Orschelns Farm Stores has been having this on sale regularly for $1.79 a quart. I'm pretty sure they have several stores in your state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back