Penzoil Ultra @ Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up some Ultra 5-30 at Autozone for $2.90 a qt. Just giving a heads up to those who want to hoard it
smile.gif

I'm thinking either Pennzoil is giving this stuff away to the stores or the stores arent making any money on it.Maybe Pennzoil should just sell it direct to us? Betcha they would sell more that way.

I dont think that "Think with your dipstick Jimmy" was that great of an ad campaign for BP/Castrol either...

Every time I walk into one of these stores on LI chasing one of these great Ultra deals, they are selling it for full pop w/o any discounts.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Just picked up some Ultra 5-30 at Autozone for $2.90 a qt. Just giving a heads up to those who want to hoard it
smile.gif

No rhyme or reason at AutoZone IME - within a few miles of each other, there stores that haven't stocked it in a month, stores that have it on closeout at $3.99 /qt or less, and stores that have it for full price, > $9 /qt.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
The black color bottles and poor marketing is the reason why it never sold.

Market overlap perhaps with PP.

Considering the relative knowledge of the regular joe re: motor oil, the number of choices is staggering and maybe most end up grabbing what they're comfortable with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asharris7
smile.gif

I have gone to about ten different Azs and haven't been able to get more in the last two week.s

Quote:

Really? That's why it didn't sell?

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

How do the black bottles effect people's decision making?
I've studied psychology and I find that stuff fascinating.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How do the black bottles effect people's decision making?
Think about it: black bottle = black oil. People have been conditioned to believe "black oil is bad"...it's old and it's dirty and it ruins engines. I believe the colour of the bottle and the marketing strategy could subconsciously affect the decisions of ill-informed or ignorant people, and there are WAY more of them than there are of US.

Quote:
Think about it: black bottle = black oil. People have been conditioned to believe "black oil is bad"...it's old and it's dirty and it ruins engines. I believe the colour of the bottle and the marketing strategy could subconsciously affect the decisions of ill-informed or ignorant people, and there are WAY more of them than there are of US.

I think you guys are reaching here. Not to mention the Ultra bottle isnt actually black. Its more of a dark graphite color. But if thats true, how does Pennzoil YB sell with a black cap? Or Castrol Syntec, which has always had a black bottle?

I can understand the argument that it may have been poor marketing. When they came out with Ultra, I really didn't see the point in keeping Platinum in the line up. Most consumers I suspect just saw "synthetic" on both labels and went with the slightly cheaper one (Platinum).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back