Penzoil High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'm going to switch from Valvoline High Mileage 10W-30 to Penzoil High Mileage 10W-30. While I was picking up the new oil, I noticed Penzoil Truck/SUV 10W-30. Would this be better for me than the high mileage stuff? Anyone got any dirt on this stuff? My car weighs 4300 pounds with a full tank of gas and me in it, and it gets beat on alot. Also it's a 318ci V8 with 125K miles on it. Any thoughts?

Lothar has spoken

If it is a thicker oil you want then the High Mileage would be better.
The SUV oil is a semi-synthetic oil (it is a rebadge marketing deal).
Pennzoil are great oils though. It was minus 15 below zero F this morning in northern Minnesota and my daughter's 94 Olds Achieva with the 3.1 V6 started just fine with the regular Multigrade 5W30 Pennzoil. (And it was outside, not garaged).

Good Day,
Steven

quote:

Originally posted by Lothar King of the Hill People:
OK, I'm going to switch from Valvoline High Mileage 10W-30 to Penzoil High Mileage 10W-30. ...

Any reason you don't like the Valvoline? If you want something thicker, the Maxlife 10w40 looks pretty good.

TallPaul, Pennzoil has a better base oil and an additive package which contains moly.

Valvoline Max-Life used to have moly ... and it's wear protection was better then too.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
TallPaul, Pennzoil has a better base oil and an additive package which contains moly.

Valvoline Max-Life used to have moly ... and it's wear protection was better then too.

--- Bror Jace

OK, but maybe they have added other components to make up for it. It lists 0.26% calcium for Maxlife. But you might also want to consider heavy duty motor oil like Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo.

Ok, now I'm confused. I'm looking for MAXIMUM protection for a high mileage, daily driven (hard)V8. Which (dino) oil is the best? I usually use 30W in the summer but in the winter I use 10W-30. Should I go with Rotella? What kind of additives package does this have?

The main difference I am aware of with a heavy duty motor oil like Rotella is higher detergents, dispersants to handle the diesel's soot load, and higher phosphorus extreme pressure protection against scuffing during metal to metal contact. The HD oils, which are for diesel and gasoline engines, typically will have about 50% more ZDDP (a zinc phosphorus compound) than passenger car motor oils. If you look at the Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil, it has higher ZDDP also, So if you are driving it hard, a HD oil might be a good way to go. 10W30 Rotella or any HD oil will likely have to be gotten at a truck parts store as Walmart and the typical auto parts stores usually only carry the 15w40 HD oils. The HDs also come in straight 30.

[ December 12, 2003, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

TallPaul, I have seen Val Max-Life UOAs with the moly and again without it. It seemed to work a LOT better with the moly.

You could use more ZDDP if you aren't going to use any moly (currently Amsoil does this) but most of us here think moly (with ZDDP, boron) is the way to go. Without it, I don't think Max-Life stacks up well against the competition.

Lothar, TP summed up the fleet oils very well. If you find a stocking dealer/jobber, you may be able to find these oils in 10W30. Wal-Mart carries only the 15W40 versions. AutoZone carries Rotella 30 weight in 1 gallon jugs.

In a 10W30, I don't think you can do any better than Schaeffer S7K synthetic blend. Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle would probably be my second choice.

--- Bror Jace

with your southern climate a 15W-40 HDDO would give you the best "bang for the buck". It would satisfy the needs of your high mileage V8 for about $6/gal. Delo 400, Delvac 1300, or Pennzoil Long Life are excellent choices. Yes, these are diesel engine oils, but they are also SJ,L rated for gasoline engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back