Pentosin ATF8

Is the 845RE transmission in a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee a ZF HP8 unit?
It is, but Mopar is using the ZF 8/9 speed fluid.
There is a Lifeguard 8 and a Lifeguard 9. Mopar appears to be using one fluid for both types of transmissions.

Reactions: JTK
A nearby Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealer gets $30 per quart for their Mopar 8-9 speed fluid.
Is "Lifeguard 8" a substitute? Never heard of Lifeguard brand.

A nearby Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealer gets $30 per quart for their Mopar 8-9 speed fluid.
Is "Lifeguard 8" a substitute? Never heard of Lifeguard brand.
Lifeguard is ZF’s own brand of fluids.
Lifeguard 9 is the most likely equivalent since Mopar specs one fluid for both 8 and 9-speed transmissions.

Thanks for the info. Now to find a source closer than Europe.
A fair price for correct ATF brings happiness.
Define fair.

There are plenty of options for Lifeguard 9 online. I have a wholesale source that charges under $20/L but it is not available to the public.

Thanks for the info.

I went to their site and clicked over to their fluid catalog. They offer a pdf of a 2016-2017 catalog so the new fluids weren't there.
Eggzackly, if you navigate CRP's main website and look real hard you may find http://www.showmetheparts.com/crp/
This has the newest products which in the case of my W210 shows a different ATF recommended than the 4-5 year old PDF catalogue reads. That's comforting since the old recommendation is what's in it. :mad: Someone going straight to the Pentosin site would probably never find the online link.

Granted, "fair" is a vague term. I looked on Amazon and determined the $30 ATF (dealership price) was available for $22 to $24.

That'll be this exercise's definition of fair. Thanks for the good tips. I went through this same search (avoiding dealer mark-ups) with the Volvos.
Mobil 3309 fluid was the thing to get. It worked out to 40% less than dealer so that's "fairer", if nothing else.

If you don't get lifeguard fluid then you are not getting OEM, that's why I mentioned the amsoil its seems to be the best of the non-genuine fluids and some are saying better.

You can use Amsoil signature series Multi ATF in all the ZF's apparently its very good from what I have read online (forums etc). I will be using it
in my ZF 6.

I thought they recommend the fuel-efficient one for the ZF 6 and 8 speed?

I thought they recommend the fuel-efficient one for the ZF 6 and 8 speed?
Yes you are correct. However, in Australia a few of the fluid manufacturers suggest the 'thicker' standard fluid over the fuel-efficient type. The ford falcon with the ZF 6 in Australia doesn't have a very good factory cooler and trans temps are usually around 100 C or more. There are a lot of after market trans coolers available for the car though which keeps temps under 80 C allowing for the use of the fuel-efficient formula and longer longevity of the transmission.

Yes you are correct. However, in Australia a few of the fluid manufacturers suggest the 'thicker' standard fluid over the fuel-efficient type. The ford falcon with the ZF 6 in Australia doesn't have a very good factory cooler and trans temps are usually around 100 C or more. There are a lot of after market trans coolers available for the car though which keeps temps under 80 C allowing for the use of the fuel-efficient formula and longer longevity of the transmission.
Good to know, thanks!

Back