Pentofrost E in a Honda?

The vehicle in question is 2000 Honda CR-V. Seems to have some nasty blue/green coolant in it. Unknown service history before 201k, when I got it. Has 225k+ now and I changed all fluids except for clutch fluid and coolant.

I happen to have ~10 liters of Full Strength Pentosin Pentofrost E coolant from previous vehicles. Don't want it to go to waste, and tried to sell it locally, but no buyers yet. So, with my vehicle being waaay out of warranty, are there any strong red flags about using this Pentofrost E in the 2000 Honda CR-V? Will use distilled water for 50/50 mix. Description leads me to believe that I should be ok, considering most of Audi/VW/Lamborghini/Bentley vehicles have aluminum heads/blocks, just like my little Honda... But if it is somehow known to affect head gaskets negatively, or anything else, then I wish to know. Planning to do a full coolant replacement when I tackle the timing belt and water pump.

Here is the description from included PDF:
Pentofrost E is an environmentally friendly Antifreeze CONCENTRATE for multipurpose applications in water-cooled engines. This coolant provides the same exceptional performance as our Pentofrost ++ but it is utilizing a more environmentally friendly manufacturing process — now using glycerin in addition to our glycol base. It does not contain any nitrites, amines, or phosphorous containing additives. Pentofrost E protects all material used in cooling systems and is recommended for non-ferrous metals and year-round use. Pentofrost E can be used where the VW G11, G12, G12+, G12++, G13, and MB G40 are required. Meets ASTM D-3306.

PRODUCT ATTRIBUTES
Appearance Violet
Density at 20°C 1140 kg/m³
Flash Point >110°C/>230°F
Boiling Point >170°C/>338°F
Water Content Max 5%
pH Value 8.2
Mixing Ratio With Water 50/50
Boiling Point With Water 109°C/228.2°F
Freezing Point With Water -37°C/-34°F

Attachments

• Pentofrost_E.pdf
    157.3 KB · Views: 13
Pento E is wrong for your Honda. You need Pento A3 (Blue).
Yes, by the book that is the correct fluid, the Pentofrost A3. But I have Pentofrost E on hand already, and wondering if it would cause any harm in a Honda, with a 2 year replacement interval for example.

The reason why I am considering this is because there have been many successful long-term reports of running Dexcool in non-GM vehicles (after a full flush out of previously filled coolant) and vice versa: many GM owners successfully ran Universal green, or Toyota Red coolants in their vehicles (again, only after a full flush with distilled water). Many even go as far as claiming that there is no better coolant on the market than Toyota Red, but that's a discussion for another thread.

With this in mind, I am wondering if a similar approach can help me use up the coolant I already have, while giving my vehicle the protection it needs, without negative side effects. The approach in mind is: to do 3 drain/fill/run cycles with distilled water, (or more if needed, in case the water after 3rd drain still doesn't look clear), and then refill with Pento E and proper amount of distilled water to make a 50/50 mix.

G13 pattern coolants like Pento E are slowly replacing G12+ as the default universal option. If a honda throws a hose in the middle of africa, chances are it’ll get filled with G12+

Coolants based on european standards dominate the aftermarket. Antifreeze targeted for asian vehicles like Zerex Asian and Pento A only exist in america

Last edited:
G13 pattern coolants like Pento E are slowly replacing G12+ as the default universal option. If a honda throws a hose in the middle of africa, chances are it’ll get filled with G12+

Coolants based on european standards dominate the aftermarket. Antifreeze targeted for asian vehicles like Zerex Asian and Pento A only exist in america
Thank you. That was my assumption and I appreciate the confirmation.

I've always switched any vehicle I own that came with G05 to Pentrofrost ++, which is now Pentofrost E. I switched my Chrysler from G05 to Pentofrost E a few years ago when I first bought it. Zero issues in 60K miles or so.

The G05 additive chemistry is similar to Pentofrost E which is why I didn't give it a second thought. Both are low silicate, phosphorus free coolants, but the former has nitrates while the latter does not. So not identical, but I took care to flush the cooling system when I switched over.

The Asian stuff used in your Honda is a silicate free, phosphated coolant, so quite different in the additives used. You could probably switch over much like I did, but I would think a thorough flush would be even more important.

Back