Pentastar belt/tensioner

We have a '15 Grand Caravan with 101k miles. I'm planning on doing some PM in the spring, including new plugs and upstream O2 sensors, and I'm trying to think of anything else before we take it on a major road trip in early summer. Does anyone know how long the belt tensioner usually lasts on these engines? They're a bit more expensive than some others, so if they typically go 150k or more, I'll leave it alone, but if typical lifespan is shorter, I'll replace.

Please reply only with answers relevant to this engine. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Honestly, I change both when I change the belt, which is usually around 100k. I owned mostly Fords though. In my Cherokees before, the Cherokees with the 4.0l. It was cheap, easy, and gave me a piece of mind.

I have yet to see one go bad , and flip off belt....I have seen some seize as in salt belt......if it still springs back and forth ok, run it. Oh and have seen LOTS of noisy after market belts, so go oem to save the grief

Transmission fluid change is always a good idea in a Chrysler minivan :D

Did you get the aftermarket pan yet? It has a drain plug, which makes changing the fluid much easier. Also get a new gasket with it.

Pull the tensioner and look at the Teflon washer. I just did this on the 265k mile OE tensioner on my dodge.

26C9B49E-6C03-46FC-9DF4-428302922F9F.jpeg
D8F23D13-11A0-43C4-A44D-15EBF22B4541.jpeg
0123F16C-9D34-4F39-B565-03BB9F8C604B.jpeg
D5F92FBA-E956-4A57-905A-7179F8BBF584.jpeg

Note how the Teflon washer has worn crooked. It’s not enough to be an issue, but it has resulted in some slight noise under certain conditions. If it’s not hard to pull the tensioner just do so. The springs in there can also get weak, and the bearings on the pulley fail. The pulley is east enough to diagnose, the springs not so much, but they won’t fail overnight, and I’m confident that an oe unit will last much longer than 100k if there are no other issues…

Last edited:
Honestly, I change both when I change the belt, which is usually around 100k. I owned mostly Fords though. In my Cherokees before, the Cherokees with the 4.0l. It was cheap, easy, and gave me a piece of mind.
would you still replace that tensioner if you had to pay $420 at the Honda dealer parts dep?

What serpentine belt tensioner is $420 at a Honda parts department?
Go to Majestic Honda parts dept and look it up and get it at the bargain price of $280. My local dealers discount nothing. You can look this up yourself too, ya know

Go to Majestic Honda parts dept and look it up and get it at the bargain price of $280. My local dealers discount nothing. You can look this up yourself too, ya know

You stated no model of Honda.
OP was talking of a Chrysler.

I have no idea what you’re talking about…

For my 14 odyssey, it retails at $156, wholesales for $112.

For my 15 Accord, it has electric auxiliaries.

So how, pray tell am I supposed to read your mind about an ethereal Honda part?

I provided objective info and photos. You cited a part that Inhave no idea what it is.

You stated no model of Honda.
OP was talking of a Chrysler.

I have no idea what you’re talking about…

For my 14 odyssey, it retails at $156, wholesales for $112.

For my 15 Accord, it has electric auxiliaries.

So how, pray tell am I supposed to read your mind about an ethereal Honda part?

I provided objective info and photos. You cited a part that Inhave no idea what it is.
Dude-
Lighten up. Responding to OP with a general question. Would you replace a tensioner if it cost $420 ?( and provided an example). It wasn't about his car. Had nothing to do with any individual car or your car. Are you arguing about whether a part really cost $420? Is that important? I'm not going to find part numbers, 10 pictures, videos, prices, multiple responses etc. LOL

Back