Penrite HPR-5 5W-40 some questions

I recently came a cross a dealer selling this oil at a good price to me.
It comes in a 5L bottle.
I see that it's 100C viscosity is on the higher end of the 40 scale, at 14+ cst.
Anyone used this before ? Also interested to know it's base oil class, a group3 or group 3 with some 4?
This is just out of curiosity and I just want to know as a matter of fact so please no flame war about group 3 vs group 4 base oils. Also what is it's HTHS ?
Three things interest me on this oil, the high viscosity, the high zinc 1200+ppm, and high 10+ TBN.

Last edited:
Fairly common oil here in Australia. I'm not 100% on the base stock, but from the UOA I'd say its primarily a class 3 - its got a reasonable oxidation reading so possibly theres some class 4 in the mix. No idea on the excact HTHS. But going of its specification it would be >3.5

Penrite HPR 5 (5W40) full synthetic is a high quality and popular oil in Australia. I always assumed it was mostly Group-III as they loudly push their PAO content for the Penrite 10-Tenths series, not for their HPR series.

However the HPR 5 is API SP, ACEA A3/B4 and MB 229.5. You would never get these OEM specs with the 10-Tenth series which are their 100% PAO & Ester performance oils, but light on real specs.

The MB 229.5 is real, and they even publish the Mercedes Benz approval certificate on their website.

Like all HPR oils, the HPR 5 is thick for grade (KV100 = 14.4 cSt), has a high TBN (10.4) and lots of ZDDP (Zn = 1240 ppm).
I've not used the HPR 5 myself, but back in my air-cooled motorcycle days, I ran HPR 30 (20W60 mineral with 1530 ppm zinc, and KV100 = 23.5 cSt) in everything. It was the only oil that didn't shear down to water in my shared sump gear box. I also ran HPR 30 when travelling the outback in my old Holden Kingswood sedan that would overheat when pushing through the desert sun, so I wanted a bit more thickness on my side.

BTW before the UltraClean came along, from memory the previous version of Castrol GTX 15W40 had a KV100 =14.5 cSt, and a HTHS of 4 cP.

I don't know the HTHS of the HPR-5, but I would assume a touch under 4.

Back