Pennzoil Yellow Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my next oil change I'm going to give in to some advertising hype, lol. I'm going to use Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W30. After all, according to a statement on Pennzoil's web site, 7 our of 10 drivers percieved their cars to run better after a Pennzoil oil change.
grin2.gif

Seriously, I'm using Mobil Clean 5000 right now and want to switch to a different conventional and YB is probably going to be it. Can't go wrong with YB, and being a naturally aspirated Subaru there is no need for synthetic.

Why am I switching? I'm trying to get that sewing machine quietness back into the engine that it had on the factory fill. Since putting in the MC5000 there is a little bit more mechanical noise... not much but I can tell a slight difference. I'm hoping the YB will quiet it a little.

My old school '94 Dodge Dakota 5.2 V8 has always been quietest when running on YB. Just changed the Dak out from O'Reilly store brand 5W30 to YB 5W30 at the last oil change and the valve train is a little quieter... same brand and p/n oil filter for both fills, so I'm thinking its good old YB working its magic.

My Dakota ran nothing but YB from 1994 through 2000. YB stayed in it beyond 2000 but it became a garage queen from 2000 - 2006 with more infrequent YB oil changes because I would only get it out every few weeks and run it for an hour or so unless it ran errands to fetch purchases from Lowes or Home Depot. This is because I got a company car during that time period for commute and 24/7 run around, and my son took over driving the Dak in '06 when he got his license. From '06 through this last OC we ran bargain oil in it, whatever was on sale. But with motor oil costs getting back down to Earth we started it back on YB again. Always Purolator filters-- never switched brands there.

The TDI:
0 - 5000 miles: factory fill
5000-10000: Castrol TXT 5W40 505.01
10000-20000: Castrol TXT 5W40 505.01
20000-30000: Castrol SLX Prof OE 5W30 505.01
30000-37500: Castrol SLX Prof OE 5W30 505.01
37500-present: Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 (CJ4)

Good choice the Yellow Bottle!! I am going to switch to it also when I use up all my Castrol supply. Yellow bottle is a good price at Wally's.
cheers3.gif

LOL, hey but I'd settle for the 400,000 mile club.

The choice to try M1 TDT was not an easy one, but one I arrived at after much reading over on TDIClub.com and some research here.

http://www.riker.com/casedecisions/index.php?id=11059

If you want more Pennzoil hype, here is an old an old court case (Jan, 2001)that Pennzoil lost:
From a merits point of view, it is unimportant to the Court's decision whether the advertisement is literally false or false by implication. Castrol has amply sustained its burden of showing that the impliedly false statements were material to consumers and tended to influence their purchasing decisions. (Citation omitted.) Under either circumstance, within the ambit of this case, the violation of the Lanham Act has been tested in the crucible of public opinion. Moreover, almost every frame of the television commercial, except for frames 1 and 11, is either literally false or impliedly false. A recurring theme throughout the television commercial is that Pennzoil is different and better than the competition. Additionally, the illusion that consumers should embrace Pennzoil motor oil is reinforced by the display of the dirty oil pans. As was demonstrated at the trial and reflected in the Court's finding of facts:

(1) the non-standard double-length IIIE test has never been shown to correlate with actual performance in the field;
(2) the test, which uses obsolete equipment and leaded fuel, does not simulate any real world situation, much less "severe driving conditions ";
(3) there is no evidence Pennzoil provides superior protection for anything, let alone the problem depicted in the ad - oxidative failure;
(4) all oils that meet current industry requirements provide more than sufficient protection against oxidative failure;
(5) it is not true that Pennzoil keeps engines cleaner;
(6) the tests Pennzoil ran on competitors' oils were invalid;
(7) Pennzoil does not have valid test results for all of its different oil formulations; (8) the oil pans shown in the test are not rated parts, and not "results of the IIIE test; " and
(9) Pennzoil actually failed the double-length Sequence IIIE engine test.

What really ticked Castrol off about that ad campaign was the fact Brett Favre put his finger in the dirty Castrol and rub it under his eye like the non-glare stuff they use in football. I still have one of those cardboard displays in my basement. When we were ordered to stop the advertising, directives came down to destroy all advertising materials. Our distributor in Green Bay said to heck with that and there were about 100 bars in northern WI that had those Brett Favre cardboard stand-ups.

Those were the good old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back