Pennzoil Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I guessing PP will become QS's synthetic then....

This actually does bring up an interesting point. QState just rebranded their line as it's no longer "QHorsepower", but "Ultimate Durability" and I wonder if they also changed the formulation.
54.gif

Most recent VOA of 5w30 QHorsepower: http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1547173#Post1547173

Same thing with Valvoline, they have Synpower 0W20 in their website but nowhere to be found but online.

I can get it off the shelf a few blocks from here.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I guessing PP will become QS's synthetic then....

This actually does bring up an interesting point. QState just rebranded their line as it's no longer "QHorsepower", but "Ultimate Durability" and I wonder if they also changed the formulation.
54.gif

Most recent VOA of 5w30 QHorsepower: http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1547173#Post1547173

It's still Q Horsepower. Look at the label more closely, it's in smaller print underneath where it says Ultimate Durability.

Well if GF-5 oils are supposed to be out this summer, it may not be to early for Pennzoil to release their GF-5. The other oil makers should be doing the same in the coming months. It will be interesting to see if they introduce a new product brand like Pennzoil for their GF-5 or just add the GF-5 label to one of their existing product brands. I would not run out and buy a stash just yet, we have not seen what the others will offer for their GF-5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: Drew2000
I'm dumping my stash of "35% worse" Pennz. Platinum into the oil burner tank as we speak, so I can stock up with Ultra and get the cleansing I deserve.

lol.gif

Well, when you consider PP's advertising, I just thought about another reason why Drew is doing this. Maybe it will remove up to 46% of dirt and deposits in his furnace after one tankful and continue to clean in the next tankful!
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

BTW and just to be clear, I didn't post this to ridicule Drew, but to laugh WITH HIM and the others instead. Regardless of whether he was serious or not in putting the PP in his oil burner tank, he had a hilarious thought in my personal opinion. Kudos to Drew!
cheers3.gif

Like stated before, this is Pen's answer to Castrol EDGE.

Sounds great.

I think thatin order to sell this stuff, they gotta market it properly, like EDGEdid. aNNOYING, YES, BUTEFFECTIVE./

sorry, lol. my space bar is finnicky and I hit the caps..

They better keep theprice reasonable, because if Joe Shmoe sees it next to extended drain bottles, he won't bite..

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Like stated before, this is Pen's answer to Castrol EDGE.

Except that EDGE is marketed for extended intervals, whereas based on what Johnny wrote here, PU is not, so I don't see how your statement is true.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Oh no,this new oil is going to be known as PU?

I'm sure it's a good oil, but for BITOGERs they didn't think that one through. PU.

YAWN.....another overhyped fake group 3 based "synthetic" oil. One would think with a name like "Ultra", they would actually produce a true group 4/5 product to compete with Redline/Motul/Amsoil type true synthetics

With that kind of logic, there would be no Ruths Chris steakhouses or Rolex watches- as Mcdonalds and timex outsell them too.

Quality over quantity is a dying art

Originally Posted By: qship1996
With that kind of logic, there would be no Ruths Chris steakhouses or Rolex watches- as Mcdonalds and timex outsell them too.
/
But does a Rolex show better/more accurate time than Timex? With Rolex, you're paying for the name/status symbol, not really for a better time-keeping device.

If Pennzoil can develop a GIII+ oil that protects your engine as well as anything else out there, then why should they bother with other base stocks which may only raise the price and turn off some customers?

This is only my opinion, but nowadays, having group 4/5 base stocks is no guarantee of better performance. Group 3+ oils have come a long way.

Pennzoil is a mass-market product, focusing on high performance-price ratio. I don't think they're even trying to compete with boutique/niche players. It's just a different type of business, just like Honda vs. Porsche. They're not really competing with each other. They coexist and target different customer segments.

Last edited:
Well, in case you have not noticed, the current Pennzoil Platinum is a high quality product. Just start looking at UOA's. Up to 10K you would be hard pressed to find an oil that does a better job of protecting an engine, and don't even sell it as a extended drain oil.

Steaks, Rolex, you bet, but we are just talking about oil. Using the Rolex logic we would buy a Hyundai, use the cheapest stuff we can fine, buy a Mercedes, use Motul. When one of the sold called fake Group III's will work just fine in either.

I might add that I can't speak for other oil companies and pretty soon every contact at Shell I have will be gone, but as of right now that so called fake Group III Platinum (McDonalds/Timex) product your are referring to does have some Group IV and Esters in it. Where do you think it gets its cleaning ability they are talking so highly about.

In the automotive world you give me a 100% Group IV oil or a 100% Group V oil and I will show you an oil that won't work as well as you think it will. You have to blend some base stocks to offset what the other base stock won't do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lonestar
if used in a new engine would it not get mad because there is nothing to claen?

I guess that's just the risk you have to take when using Hyper Cleansing Technology.

I'm worried about all the now unemployed Adaptive Molecules hanging out on street corners causing trouble.

23.gif

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
Originally Posted By: lonestar
if used in a new engine would it not get mad because there is nothing to claen?

I guess that's just the risk you have to take when using Hyper Cleansing Technology.

I'm worried about all the now unemployed Adaptive Molecules hanging out on street corners causing trouble.

23.gif

lol.gif
Then Castrol Edge's dipstick toting Scot will come by to whip them into shape!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, in case you have not noticed, the current Pennzoil Platinum is a high quality product. Just start looking at UOA's. Up to 10K you would be hard pressed to find an oil that does a better job of protecting an engine, and don't even sell it as a extended drain oil.

Steaks, Rolex, you bet, but we are just talking about oil. Using the Rolex logic we would buy a Hyundai, use the cheapest stuff we can fine, buy a Mercedes, use Motul. When one of the sold called fake Group III's will work just fine in either.

He makes a pretty good point there.

I'm amazed how well the PP is doing in my Balt...

Originally Posted By: qship1996
YAWN.....another overhyped fake group 3 based "synthetic" oil. One would think with a name like "Ultra", they would actually produce a true group 4/5 product to compete with Redline/Motul/Amsoil type true synthetics

Take this you blasphemous heathen.

Ultraman to the rescue
roultraman.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back