Pennzoil ultra noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I looked all over for Pennzoil ultra to try for my oil change on my 04 mountaineer 4.6 and found 3 quarts 5w20 and 3 5w10. I got thme and a Motorcraft filter and did the change. Now I am getting a noise on start up like the time I used a Fram filter on the 4.6 and it also seems to have a lot of lifter noise. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Oh i also used Seafoam spray about a week before the oil change. When i was doing the seafoam the trucks rpms started going all over the place and then it died. there was little to no smoke the whole time but after i started it back up it seemed fine untill i got to the highway and punched it. At that point it started stuttering and then blew out the biggest cloud i have ever seen and ran fine. Sorry if these post look messed up I am sending them from a Playstation on a very old fuzzy tv that i can barley see on.

Last edited:
What does your engine call for 5W20 or 5W30? I would have used PP rather than the wrong PU.

Seems like you went overboard with Seafoam. Hold off on the Seafoam until the next decade.

Get a decent laptop so you can see what you write.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What does your engine call for 5W20 or 5W30? I would have used PP rather than the wrong PU.

Seems like you went overboard with Seafoam. Hold off on the Seafoam until the next decade.

Have a bad night Donald?

Originally Posted By: tc1446

Have a bad night Donald?

Not at all. But if you used enough Seafoam to cause a noise in your engine, you went over the deep end with it.

The first time I used PU in my vehicles, the engine sounded a little louder than normal at startup. After a couple of days, nonmechanical family members (and I) all felt the engine was quieter. We then added some moly (MoS2) and experienced a noticeably smoother running engine.

Give it a bit of time and your 4.6L engine will likely settle down and run nice and smooth.

Is this is your first time using PU?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Drain all that solvent out of your engine and refill with Motorcraft 5W-30.

And I'd change the filter too. Get out all you can get out.

The engine is spec for 5w20. 2 qts of 5w30 isn't going to make a hill of beans difference.
Seafoaming the daylights out of it may. Try cleaning the plugs or change them if they are high milers.

Putting MC in there and expecting any difference is ridiculous.

It calls for 5w20 and I probably should have just got the PP but I have had people tell me they use 5w30 or even 10w30 or higher all the time in my year range 4.6 without issue so I did not think half 5w30 would be a big deal plus when Walmart is selling PU for less then PP it is kind of hard for me to buy a lower grade of oil for more money.

As far as using to much Seafoam this is the new spray type and when I talked to the people at Seafoam about using it in my dual throttle body LHS they told me to just use the whole can and it worked wonders. With this truck I used a half a can and then the other half in a buddy's 5.0 Explorer.

I work over nights right now as a night watchman for my family's fireworks stand and a PlayStation with a 1970's TV is all I have down there if I what to get on the internet.

Originally Posted By: 351mustang65

It calls for 5w20 and I probably should have just got the PP but I have had people tell me they use 5w30 or even 10w30 or higher all the time in my year range 4.6 without issue so I did not think half 5w30 would be a big deal plus when Walmart is selling PU for less then PP it is kind of hard for me to buy a lower grade of oil for more money.

As far as using to much Seafoam this is the new spray type and when I talked to the people at Seafoam about using it in my dual throttle body LHS they told me to just use the whole can and it worked wonders. With this truck I used a half a can and then the other half in a buddy's 5.0 Explorer.

I work over nights right now as a night watchman for my family's fireworks stand and a PlayStation with a 1970's TV is all I have down there if I what to get on the internet.

What "problem" were you trying to "fix" with this magical pale oil/solvent blend?

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
The first time I used PU in my vehicles, the engine sounded a little louder than normal at startup. After a couple of days, nonmechanical family members (and I) all felt the engine was quieter. We then added some moly (MoS2) and experienced a noticeably smoother running engine.

Give it a bit of time and your 4.6L engine will likely settle down and run nice and smooth.

Is this is your first time using PU?

Yes I have always used Valvoline Synpower in this SUV.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

What "problem" were you trying to "fix" with this magical pale oil/solvent blend?

Again this is the spray type that you spray into your throttle body. I did not put it in my oil and I even sprayed it a week before this oil change. I am starting to think it's the thicker oil because I did not really notice this before the oil change and it seems to have less noise when the sun is out or the car is warm.

What I was looking to fix was The truck just seemed to idle a bit rough and with what it did for that old LHS I figured why not try it in the SUV.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Drain all that solvent out of your engine and refill with Motorcraft 5W-30.

And I'd change the filter too. Get out all you can get out.

Why? PU is a great oil. Seafoam on the other hand...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Again this is the spray type that you spray into your throttle body. I did not put it in my oil and I even sprayed it a week before this oil change. I am starting to think it's the thicker oil because I did not really notice this before the oil change and it seems to have less noise when the sun is out or the car is warm.

What I was looking to fix was The truck just seemed to idle a bit rough and with what it did for that old LHS I figured why not try it in the SUV.

I didn't say you mixed it into your oil, the product itself is a blend of stoddard solvent/pale oil, that's why I said that.

When was the last time the plugs were changed? PCV valve? Are you able to check the misfire counts with a scanner that could show you a failing COP?

I'm not a fan of spraying/pouring "Peter Pan in a can" into an engine in hopes that it will magically fix whatever "ailment" your engine seems afflicted with.

That being said, there ARE engines that are prone to carbon build-up in the combustion chamber (spoiler: the Modular isn't one of them) and GM, as well as Chrysler both have specific products targeted at this issue. GM's is their Combustion Chamber Cleaner (which I've tested in terms of its carbon removal capability on a Ford IAC against Seafoam.... the GM product is superior.) and I don't recall what the Chrysler product is, but it does the same thing. The GM engines develop a carbon "knock", which is literally the built-up carbon on the piston or the quench area resulting in contact between the piston/carbon and the head/carbon. The cleaner is supposed to be sprayed into the intake until the engine stalls and then you let it sit for a while to dissolve the carbon, which alleviates the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back