Pennzoil/Rotella 15w-40 Audi 1.8t 6000mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friend's UOA running on PZ 15w-40 in So. FL as per my recommendation. He has a 1.8t but report says 2.8 so I dunno if universal averages are correct. 118k miles on engine. I listed it as PZ/Rotella because it probally is repacked Rotella. Looks good for a cheap oil. I caution against trying to repeat this stunt in cooler temps w/ turbo engine. Here's what I've got>>>

Blackstone Commments: Good even wear, go 7000 next time.
__R/A__
Al 2/3
Cr 1/0
Fe 5/8
Cu 1/5
Pb 1/5
Sn 0/1
Mo 56/48
B 24/42
Si 7/7
So 6/14
Na 2364/2179
Mg 7/196
P 947/792
Zn 1105/950

SUS Visc- 70-83/76.1
FP +396f
Insolubles .4

-

http://periodic.lanl.gov/default.htm
cool.gif

Also, a primer for noobs on interpreting UOAs I tried to compose. Please correct/expand on it, it's just a start of a Tech Article for kindergardners.

UOA means Used Oil (lab) Analysis and is just that. The same spectrometer analysis can be done a virgin unused oil, a VOA. A VOA obtains elemental information on the unused oil product, determining the amounts of various chemicals inside the oil. There are also some other physical tests like flashpoint and final visc. Those chemicals which are made up of various elements (mass spec tests for basic elements, not chemial compounds) and those elements perform various functions. Some are Ant-Wear (ZN) some are Extreme Pressure additives that only come into play in certian situations and some are Frictin Modifiers (Mo). Some elements are are part of Detergent/Dispersant Package (Ca,Na) and some modify the oil's physical properties. I won't try to explain fully which are which because some perform multi-functions and there is a newer additives, Antimony (Sb), which Blackstone does not yet test for. (Mobil Clean) Common sense rules on elements and their function- for example, Zink is not a detergent!
The USED Oil Analysis differs in as it contains data about the used oil itself, the remaining detergents, AW and such, but also the wear metals from the engine. This is most usefull as different metals correspond with diffrent areas of the engine. AL or Fe is the block, Pb or Cu is the bearings, Cr or Cu are the rings, etc. I'll try to post a VOA of Rotella for comparison.

[ February 11, 2006, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Auto-Union ]

Amazing wear numbers. Probably lowest I've ever seen in a 1.8T over that many miles. 15W-40 diesel oils kick *** because they are designed for maximum protection above all else, in tough conditions (diesel engines). I have a 1.8T too and it's tempting for me to try a 15W-40 in the summer but I won't because I like to stick with one oil all year and it's likely too cold here in the winter to warrant 15W-40.

JAG, Clean 5000 had a light diesel rating and comes in lighter viscosities. A UOA of it in 1.8t should put the synthetic oil for turbos issue to rest. 90% of OTR turbo-diesel trucking uses DINO diesel-rated HDEO. Mobil Clean is Gruppe-III solvent dewaxed, with Sb and the light diesel rating, a cheap hit for 1.8t.

I think Rotella T 15w40 has alot morr magnesium than this sample but this stuff worked great. This UOA kicks butt showing that a 15w40 is perfectly fine in mild climes.

Other than the oils perforemance 1.5 qts make up seems excessive. ontop of that the fuel loading is lowering the flashpoint. Either your friends 1.8t needs repair or he drives like a maniac or both
smile.gif

The only thing the Pennzoil Long Life 15W40 and the Rotella T 15W40 have in common is they are both produced by Shell, both use a Group II+ base stock. The additive packages are all together different. Both good oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back