Pennzoil responds to my ? about oil specs in Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark D. Ferner
Global Manager; Engine & Vehicle Technology
Shell Global Solutions (Deutschland) GmbH

Was kind enough to answer some questions for me on this thread:

Since he moved onto engine component testing, I asked him a question about Turbo's since my 2013 Nissan Juke was turbocharged. Just figured this would be a good read for folks here. He seems like a decent dude.

My email:

Mark! Chris Tamburino emailed me back with responses to them questions. I just wanted to say thank you! I do have a quick question for you.

I currently run Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 and when my stash runs out I'll be getting the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 in my 2013 Nissan Juke. My Juke is the first new car I've ever owned and the first turbo charged car. I've been reading alot on the forums at bobistheoilguy.com and the likes on how to properly care for my turbo. I came across a video on youtube made by the nice folks at jmturbocoopers who are one of the US's biggest mini-cooper turbo repair shops and Aaric Johnson says we should looks for motor oils specced for ACEA A3/B3 to help our turbo's survive in his youtube video called 'How to kill a turbo quick part 4'.

At the 7 minute mark, Aaric talks about Pennzoil Ultra and the specs it meets but it fails to meet ACEA A3/B3.

So my question is, how come Pennzoil Ultra and the new Pennzoil Ultra Platinum line doesn't have that A3/B3 spec and should I be concerned about my turbo? I do see they are spec'd for HTO-06, do you think that is more than enough?

I will leave you alone now, thanks again for helping find answers for me!

Skip

Mark's email:

Hello

I went back to the team and they provided this response. I hope this clears things up.

As a bit of background

ACEA specifications are set by ACEA the European Oils Standards association. This body performs a similar function to the API in North America. ACEA, being a European body, set specifications that cater for a very different market, in Europe approximately half of the light passenger vehicles are diesel fuelled, whereas in the US there is a vast predominance of gasoline powered vehicles. It is helpful to know that the ACEA specifications are A/B or C category. A/B combines gasoline performance (A) and diesel performance (B) in a single oil A/B. The C category is reserved for very modern diesel engines (post EuroIII) which require low ash engine oils in order to be compatible with the latest diesel after treatment devices. ACEA decided to have a single A/B oil in order to avoid miss-lubricating issues in workshops. Generally most oils meet A3/B3 and A3/B4 which are different versions of the A/B category but very similar. The ACEA spec is re-issued every 2 years, currently the latest version is A3/B4-14. Why the pre-amble – in order to formulate a combined gasoline/diesel engine oil (A/B) there is one big compromise – Fuel Economy. Diesel engines require high levels of soot handling additives and these additives detriment fuel economy, hence in a gasoline engine using an A3/B3 or A3/B4 oil will generally give a lower level of fuel economy than would be accessible by using the equivalent SAE grade of API gasoline oil, currently SN. What has ACEA done to address this issue, they have introduced the A1/B1 and A5/B5 oils. These oils offer better fuel economy than the equivalent A3/B3 and A3/B4 oils by specifying a lower viscosity oil but they are still required to be capable to lubricate both a diesel and gasoline engine, so their ultimate fuel economy will be lower than an equivalent API SN only product. For this reason you find that many OEMs base their gasoline factory fill specification more on the API specification and you find that API are common requirements in many markets outside of North America.

It should be noted , in reference to comments made in the video, that neither ACEA or API mandate the use of synthetics in any of their specifications and you can generally achieve both ACEA and API specs with a conventional mineral oil based product as well as a synthetic product.

ACEA is also a self-certifying system, so when the video states that “meets and exceeds is no good because the oil marketers have not approved the product” ACEA does not approve or endorse any product, each oil marketer that self-certifies their product meets the relevant ACEA specification. There is no official ACEA stamp or mark as there is with the API “donut”.

Turbo chargers

Developing an oil for turbocharger lubricant imposes a couple of formulation challenges (1) the extreme heat the oil can encounter in the turbocharger bearings and (2) low oil flow through the turbocharger bearings. For these reasons it is recommended to select a full synthetic product with excellent oxidation resistant and highly stable viscosity modifier. These “heat” challenges as talked about in the video.

If you have a diesel engine Nissan Juke – unlikely in North America – then you would want an ACEA style oil meeting the above criteria – Helix Ultra A3/B4 or Pennzoil Euro equivalent - would be a very suitable choice. If you have a gasoline engine Nissan Juke – most likely in North America – then the best choice would be a full synthetic API SN oil – Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology.

As you might expect from Shell we test and develop both our Helix and Pennzoil brands in the available TurboCharger tests, for example , but not exhaustive, as you mention below the Honda HTO-06 test, the ACEA EP6-CDT test, the Porsche endurance test. We also conduct extensive fleet tests and have much experience in formulating OEM specific first fill engine oil products to lubricate turbochargers.

To reiterate being ACEA A3/B3 is not a guarantee of turbo charger performance – you can meet the ACEA A3/B3 specification with a conventional mineral oil based product, what is key is to select a full synthetic motor oil that meets with ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 or API SN dependent on your powertrain.

The video also makes the point that dependent on your duty you will want to change the oil regularly. I would certainly support this point and each owner should assess their severity of duty and make an informed choice about oil drain.

You can download the relevant ACEA and API specifications from their websites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a bit more complex ,sn and gf-5 are sibbling(it is mentionned in the standard) .so if it say sn OR gf-5 the oil is both.as for acea you also have the E latest being 9 (for all intent and purpose a sn and/or gf-5 but tailor made for the hard work (normal joe blow are unlikly to need those)the difference is the the quality yes but also the price!most car wont need 100$ worth of oil versus 35 $

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
.so if it say sn OR gf-5 the oil is both.

Not really.

There are plenty of oils rated API SN that cannot be rated ILSAC GF-5 because they don't meet fuel economy requirements of ILSAC GF-5.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Which oils available in N America meet these standards?

Which standards specifically are you referring to?

API and ILSAC disagree with the assertion that a conventional (SN / ILSAC GF5) cannot protect a Turbo application, although most recommend a synthetic (per Mobil1 link). I would add, it depends how you drive that turbo and what application the turbo is in. If it's in a CUV, like me, API-SN may suffice for normal grocery getting, or is it in a performance sedan/sports car like the Sonata 2.0T or Genesis Coupe, where full-on throttle is used much more and a synthetic being more appropriate.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Moto...ed_Engines.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
API and ILSAC disagree with the assertion that a conventional (SN / ILSAC GF5) cannot protect a Turbo application

Yeah, GF-5 includes the TEOST 33C test which should have some relevance to high temp deposits, and hence relevance to turbocharged applications, as we've discussed in another thread.

By the way, this doc outlines primary differences between ILSAC GF-5 and API SN:
http://www.gf-5.com/uploads/File/API SN Discussion.pdf

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
API and ILSAC disagree with the assertion that a conventional (SN / ILSAC GF5) cannot protect a Turbo application

Yeah, GF-5 includes the TEOST 33C test which should have some relevance to high temp deposits, and hence relevance to turbocharged applications, as we've discussed in another thread.

By the way, this doc outlines primary differences between ILSAC GF-5 and API SN:
http://www.gf-5.com/uploads/File/API SN Discussion.pdf

Good link.

So gf-5 can be sn ? But sn cant be gf-5?wow i ll have to go look this up carefully,i dont know many on the planet that like one way

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
But sn cant be gf-5?

SN can be GF-5 if it is labeled as API SN with "resource conserving" designation.

Typically, all heavier oils (Xw-40) will not be classified as "resource conserving", and hence can be API SN rated but not GF-5 rated. Example: M1 0w-40.

Good response without marketing from a Shell engineer.

Since your 2013 Nissan Juke needs xW30 oil, I would use synthetic oil that meets Honda HTO-06.

I think if you needed to use 5w30 Pennzoil synthetic oil in that engine, Pennzoil Euro 5w30 would be best. It is made for GDI turbo engines, such as the ones found in VW and Audi cars.

Many people here don't want to run a "Resource conserving" oil in a turbo engine anyway. A higher Ht/Hs is preferred by many people.

If I really wanted to run Pennzoil synthetic, I would simply buy the 0w40 from Pep Boys while there is a "Buy 5qt get a filter" sale.

I would add, it depends how you drive that turbo and what application the turbo is in. If it's in a CUV, like me, API-SN may suffice for normal grocery getting, or is it in a performance sedan/sports car like the Sonata 2.0T or Genesis Coupe, where full-on throttle is used much more and a synthetic being more appropriate.

01.gif

I wouldn't be too concerned about what is said in the video unless they were specifically referring to a Juke or unless Juke's are having some issues with bearing failures on GF5 5W-30 like on the Subaru boards. Subaru turbo's put out ~220-300+ hp on stock form depending on the model and year.

Having said that, I'm one of those that doesn't feel comfortable running GF5 5W-30 in a Subaru turbo because of bearing failures, turbo failures, and the high fuel dilution showing up in the new Subaru direct injection engines. In the Subaru community, those under warranty that want to stick with 5W-30 oils are running Euro 5W-30 oils that meet ACEA A3 and some are mixing in 5W-40. The pre-2011's also specced 5W-40 but the newer ones don't.

According to Pennzoil's web site, there is a new Euro Platinum 5W-30 (not the Euro L). Of course, it does not meet GF5 Resiurce Conserving specs. Nice response from Pennzoil!

-Dennis

Last edited:
The main advantage of an oil being with lot of cred (certification)exemple:mobil delvac1 5w30 was approved by eu truck maker MANN .it lessen chance of warranty issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back