Pennzoil Platinum 5w30?

I only drive about 5, maybe 6k miles per year. 99% of my driving is in town and not long distance. Just to go to the store 5 minutes away or Walmart 10 minutes away.

How often should I change my oil and oil filter? I use either Pennzoil Plat. 5w30 or Pennzoil Ultra Plat. 5w30. My truck holds right at 7 qts of oil.

I don't want to change too soon or extend it out too long before changing.
Just change it every 6 months. That’s what I’ve done with the 2011 Ram 5.7l in my signature for 11 years now. It has a little over 60k on it in those 11 years, so like your truck, it gets a lot of short trips (5-6 miles to work) with an occasional long trip a few times each month. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 and a Fram TG2.

LOL. That's what I said! What the heck is Huge mileage oil? Crazy!

From the questions you ask you are either here to learn or you are a troll. I'll assume the former.

Back in the 70s 80s and 90s , there were large differences in oils and some had issues with sludging the engines and leaving deposits. There is a API rating that was SJ now is SN and SN+ As these API ratings went up, it defined performance tests that the oils had to pass in order to get that rating. In addition there are other specification like ILSAC that also impose some demonstrated performance required to receive certification of a particular revision of the specification. All of these have leveled the playing field for motor oils. if it passes the API specification it is a good oil and more than adequate for your engine.

That is why choosing oil is easy nowadays. it really down to your favorite brand or bottle color. I got by cost. I get Pennzoil for $22/jug on rollback and a $10 rebate from shell so that makes it a $12jug. Pretty cheap compared even to conventional oil. You can do similar with M1. Also there are clearance sales when the API spec changes and you can score good deals on a spec that is good for your current care but may not be for a brand new one.

All of this said is to relax about the oil choice. all of the discussion on here is more for entertainment than actual real extension of engine live. A bunch of oil guys geeking out over minute details that may help in specific situations but not applicable to everyone.

You question about additives and 99.99% of the time they are not beneficial and a much larger percentage of the time they can be detrimental. Just don't do it. Change the oil on a the OEM schedule and the engine will not have a oil related problem.

Do you think if I switched from Pennzoil Plat. to Amsoil SS 5w30 that I can drive a full year 6-7Kmiles with my 99% in town driving?

Do you think if I switched from Pennzoil Plat. to Amsoil SS 5w30 that I can drive a full year 6-7Kmiles with my 99% in town driving?
No answer is possible with your total lack of vehicle details given.

To say Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is "extremely weak" would not be accurate.

SAE viscosity grades are a range of values, to which the Kinetic Viscosity at 100*C is often referenced. The KV100 range for a 5w-30 is from 9.3 to
So, it's is a marginally thinner than other 5w-30 oils, where some may carry a KV100 of around 11.0-11.5 like Supertech or Quaker State Full Synthetic, but not so thin that it should be considered a 5w-20.

But, this does not necessarily mean that Pennzoil Platinum is inherently weak. It consists of high-grade GTL base stocks and does not use as much Viscosity Index Improvers, which means that it can be more resistant to shearing over use compared to other 5w-30's.

PP 5w-30 is still licensed for Dexos1 Gen2, and is formulated to "meet or exceed the requirements" for API SP, ILSAC GF-6A, Chrysler, Ford, and Honda's oil requirements.

It's a great oil and if you're concerned about how it interacts with your engine and use-case, a few UOA's wouldn't hurt to establish a trend to make sure this oil works for how you use it. I wouldn't run out and drain your pan to fill it with something else.

I am most likely going to use PP 5w-30 the next time I change oil in my Mustang GT.
What year is your mustang?

Well that would put it in the extreme as short trips but yes SS will likely do just that and survive. A year 6-7k change. SS is really good oil but the PP would also last that anyways too at half the cost.

Did you get those tires and wheels BTW? Is there an increase or decrease in unsprung weight, and did you factor that into your calculation?

I only drive about 5, maybe 6k miles per year. 99% of my driving is in town and not long distance. Just to go to the store 5 minutes away or Walmart 10 minutes away.

How often should I change my oil and oil filter? I use either Pennzoil Plat. 5w30 or Pennzoil Ultra Plat. 5w30. My truck holds right at 7 qts of oil.

I don't want to change too soon or extend it out too long before changing.
I'd leave it in for a full year. Reaching regular engine operating temps comes a lot easier where you live. You also have a relatively large sump with 7 quarts capacity. I think you'll be fine.

Back