Pennzoil Platinum 5w30?

DR1

When it comes to Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 I have heard that it is not a solid 5w30. Is it true that it is a extremely weak 5w30?
My truck calls for 5w30 and it has 148k on it and I want to make sure I'm taking good care of my truck.

To say Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is "extremely weak" would not be accurate.

SAE viscosity grades are a range of values, to which the Kinetic Viscosity at 100*C is often referenced. The KV100 range for a 5w-30 is from 9.3 to
So, it's is a marginally thinner than other 5w-30 oils, where some may carry a KV100 of around 11.0-11.5 like Supertech or Quaker State Full Synthetic, but not so thin that it should be considered a 5w-20.

But, this does not necessarily mean that Pennzoil Platinum is inherently weak. It consists of high-grade GTL base stocks and does not use as much Viscosity Index Improvers, which means that it can be more resistant to shearing over use compared to other 5w-30's.

PP 5w-30 is still licensed for Dexos1 Gen2, and is formulated to "meet or exceed the requirements" for API SP, ILSAC GF-6A, Chrysler, Ford, and Honda's oil requirements.

It's a great oil and if you're concerned about how it interacts with your engine and use-case, a few UOA's wouldn't hurt to establish a trend to make sure this oil works for how you use it. I wouldn't run out and drain your pan to fill it with something else.

I am most likely going to use PP 5w-30 the next time I change oil in my Mustang GT.

I've used PP many times w/o hesitation. I'm concerned more with the quality of olive oil I use frequently for cooking my meals.

1648159581673.jpg

I only drive about 5, maybe 6k miles per year. 99% of my driving is in town and not long distance. Just to go to the store 5 minutes away or Walmart 10 minutes away.

How often should I change my oil and oil filter? I use either Pennzoil Plat. 5w30 or Pennzoil Ultra Plat. 5w30. My truck holds right at 7 qts of oil.

I don't want to change too soon or extend it out too long before changing.

I only drive about 5, maybe 6k miles per year. 99% of my driving is in town and not long distance. Just to go to the store 5 minutes away or Walmart 10 minutes away.

How often should I change my oil and oil filter? I use either Pennzoil Plat. 5w30 or Pennzoil Ultra Plat. 5w30. My truck holds right at 7 qts of oil.

I’d change it every 6 months.

Pennzoil Platinum is on the lower end of a 30 weight viscosity wise but that doesn't mean it's "not a solid 5w30"....in fact I think it's an excellent oil that can be used where both 5w20 and 5w30 are called for.

When it comes to Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 I have heard that it is not a solid 5w30. Is it true that it is a extremely weak 5w30?
My truck calls for 5w30 and it has 148k on it and I want to make sure I'm taking good care of my truck.
With that mileage you might be better off with M1 5w30 it’s on the heavier side

I do about same in Louisiana and our climate is about the same. Mine is a Caravan and it gets worked. I added a hour gauge and change at 200 hrs. You can run any synthetic 5w30 wouldn't matter. I run a 0w20 in my vehicle.

There is good news. Any that meets the certifications you engine requires will be fine in your engine. It will run until everything else in the car falls apart.

The old oil worries of the past are well behind up. You'd be hard pressed to find a truly BAD oil that is API certified nowadays.

That said I've run Pennzoil oils (From the 1990s yellow bottle to Ultra Platinum) for 100ks of miles in various vehicles. no problems.

With my driving lifestyle should I use an oil additive with the Pennzoil 5w30 I use?

With my driving lifestyle should I use an oil additive with the Pennzoil 5w30 I use?
See if you dont trust PP use something else !! Its not rocket science, use any certified oil, change it according to the manufacturer recommendation voila.... thats it thats all , now you can go stress about something important :)

With your frequent short trips, I’d use a High Mileage oil and change every 6 months/3k miles.

Back