Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, 5320 miles, Lexus RX330

Status
Not open for further replies.
110K miles on our RX330. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer. Pretty sure this run was 5W30. I change the oil every 5K and change the filter every 10K. I usually use Mobil 1 oil filters, but got the Autozone special this time and used a K&N. The air filter is Toyota OEM and I usually change every 15K.

BTW, the first run on 3/9/06 was Mobil 1 EP. The others have all been PP.

Appreciate any comments.

Lexus-RX330-110K.jpg

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Is this another UOA of PP 5w30 shearing to a 20wt?

No, it's not. Vis was 9.35 which is in a 30WT range. Anything from 9.1 to 11.3 is a 30WT.

I forgot to mention, the 12/15/07 run had a bottle of Tufoil mixed in. That is why the Moly is so high.

It looks good. I'm also surprised you don't go with 7500. On either of the oils (though M1 EP is probably signifigantly more expensive).

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Is this another UOA of PP 5w30 shearing to a 20wt?

No, it's not. Vis was 9.35 which is in a 30WT range. Anything from 9.1 to 11.3 is a 30WT.

Ah, the viscosity charts on this site showing that as being the very tail of 20. Guess they need to correct those.

For me, it is easier to track the interval because I also rotate the tires at each 5K change. At $20 for the 5 qt bottle of PP, it is just makes sense to run the interval at the current regimen.

I figured I would get a few warnings about the fact that I needed to change my filter at every change, vice changing every other 5K interval.

Also, I realize Tufoil isn't necessary, but do you guys think it helped the oil hold its viscosity or was it simply that I had only run the oil to just over 4,000 miles (ref: the 12/15/07 entry)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Curtis, I do the same, every 5K. It does make things simple like the tire rotations and other services. I also change my filter at every oil change. I personally do not think the Tufoil helped in any way.

Nice runs,nice engine. 5k is a good oci for you but no need to stick foreign objects (Tufoil)in your engine.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
For me, it is easier to track the interval because I also rotate the tires at each 5K change. At $20 for the 5 qt bottle of PP, it is just makes sense to run the interval at the current regimen.

You could accomplish the same thing with the $10.50 5qt Quaker State and pocket the money.

You could accomplish the same thing with the $10.50 5qt Quaker State and pocket the money.

That's okay, since we moved closer to the Denver metro area, the commute is much better. Thus, the extra $10 every 6 months doesn't kill our budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back