Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 1,600 miles, CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Mazda CX-5. Short (6 mile) trips from last fall till last week.

Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20, plus about 1 quart of Penn Plat High Mileage 5w-20.

OLM said 20% life left.

XWIBxGC

[Linked Image]

cx-5 UOA 2 - Copy.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
For a new engine going through break in there is nothing to get excited about. Next OCI watch that flashpoint,

That pretty much nails it.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by bobdoo
OLM said 20% life left.

after only 1,600 miles???????????????????

He said it's been since last fall so about 9 months of very short trips. Remember when severe service was considered 3 months or 3k.

I think the oil held up well. This extremely severe service. The viscosity is fine, despite the fuel and the wear metals are not bad considering the severe service and the fact that the car has only 5k miles on it. I also like the additive package of this oil.

Things you can do that may help:

1. Reduce the OCI to 3-6 months although not necessary based on this analysis.
2. Try PP 5w20 which has less VII's.
3. Periodically take the car on a nice long drive when possible.
4. Try and stick with one brand if possible.

Originally Posted by buster
I think the oil held up well. This extremely severe service. The viscosity is fine, despite the fuel and the wear metals are not bad considering the severe service and the fact that the car has only 5k miles on it. I also like the additive package of this oil.

Things you can do that may help:

1. Reduce the OCI to 3-6 months although not necessary based on this analysis.
2. Try PP 5w20 which has less VII's.
3. Periodically take the car on a nice long drive when possible.
4. Try and stick with one brand if possible.

You think oil held up well but you are recommending 300 to 500 mile oil changes? Any oils should handle 1600 miles without flashpoint or viscosity out of range. Heck he should be able to run a conventional oil for that distance now that it is a blend. He needs to run an UOA for this reason.

Originally Posted by dippschtick
What oil did you use on your previous run?

Penn Plat 0w-20 with some MOS2.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by bobdoo
OLM said 20% life left.

after only 1,600 miles???????????????????

As shown in the comment section, very short trips in very cold winter.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I would definitely try a different oil.

Why? Other oils will show similar results under these circumstances.

Originally Posted by Patman

+1

Wear results look good for so few miles, considering you are still deep into the break-in mileage. I do agree that it is nice to get it out on a long highway drive. Ed

Originally Posted by Patman

Oil flashpoint and viscosity out of range. Seems like Pennzoil Platinum likes to thin out with little fuel dilution so I would go with a different oil to see if it improves. Pennzoil Platinum starts off as a flammable gas then becomes oil base so it begs to believe that any further fuel to oil lowers the flashpoint. With that few miles I have to think a good synthetic oil should help with the engine wear will occur in short trips. When I was doing short trips I ran multiple oils to try to combat engine wear but at 50k on used cars and 10 years carbon problems as well as engine electronics were problem. I never opened up motor but you knew by tapping noise it was short tripped. Only way OP is to know is try s different oil and not get stuck on one is better than another.

The feedstock source for the Group III base is irrelevant. Just because it is natural gas for the Pennzoil product doesn't mean it will react to fuel dilution any different. Pennzoil Platinum does not "like" to thin out because of the mode of synthesis.

Oil flashpoint and viscosity out of range. Seems like Pennzoil Platinum likes to thin out with little fuel dilution so I would go with a different oil to see if it improves.

All oils are going to thin out the same amount with fuel dilution, you simply won't find any oil that holds it's viscosity once fuel gets into it. Also, you can't trust Blackstone's fuel % numbers either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back