pennzoil long life 15w40 5,000mile oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there anything wrong with runnin pennzoil long life in 5000 oci with a filter change at 2500 miles? it will be in a 6.5 turbo diesel.

patriot.gif

I use my Delvac or Delo 400 to 7500Km(or six months whichever comes first) on my turbo diesels with filter change at 3500Km. I have had great results and have had one of my OM 616 engines last 535000Km with only timing chain changed at 310,000Km.

I like the Pennzoil LL 15W-40 on paper and in the field.

I assume (I should check) your rig has a decent oil capacity. This oil should go 5K miles, and still have life. I would do a UOA,though.

This motor is notorious for making the oil dirty. I had one and I could change the oil, crank it and check the level and it would be black that quick. I'm not the only one that happened to. When I bought my truck a friend warned me not to panic when I saw dirty looking oil right after I changed it. Good luck.

that is common with any diesel. it is also a good thing because that says that the oil is doing its job of cleaning.

patriot.gif

As long as that 6.5 is in good operating condition, you'll have absolutely no problems running a 5000 mile OCI.

No need to change the filter at 2500 either...run for the entire OCI.

What's the factory recommended OCI?

BTW, since you're getting this oil for free, wanna hook me up??
grin.gif

jelly:

the motor is in pretty good condition, only 100,00 miles. the factory recommended oci's are 2500 for extreme use and 5000 for normal use (no off-roading, towing, short trips, etc.)
i do these mostly buy i think oil anymore can go a lot longer than what is recommended by the factory. just like the transmission fluid and filter changed at 100,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles like they want.

patriot.gif

A good source of info on the 6.5 turbo diesel is www.thedieselpage.com. This website helped me a lot when I owned my 6.5 turbo. My powerstroke does not make the oil as dirty as the 6.5 turbo did. I think that has to do with the 6.5's indirect injection as compared to Fords direct injection. Good luck with your truck, mine had 167,000 miles on it when I sold it.

>>>i think oil anymore can go a lot longer than what is recommended by the factory. just like the transmission fluid and filter changed at 100,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles like they want.

Unless you are using synthetic transmission fluid, changing at 30K is probably a good economic choice. ATF is considerably less expensive than a transmission.

thanks for the info and webpage welderboy

**** in falls church: i would have changed it but i just got this truck not that long ago. i bought it with 94,000 and it has 102,000 now. i changed the fluid and i would bet money it was original. pretty nasty stuff.

thanks everybody!!!
patriot.gif

Steiner,
Good luck with your truck, mine was a 3500HD 15,000# gross payload. I liked the truck a lot, but I have been a Ford man all my life and I wanted F-350 crew cab. My 6.5 turbo had a 4.63 gear ratio in the rear end and it still got 18.5 mpg on the the road and 12.5 mpg in town. I thought that was pretty good since I weighed the truck on Cat scales at the truck stop and it weighed 10,682# with all my welding equipment I carried everyday. Pretty good mileage, but not enough power . Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back