Pennz Plat 0W20, 9,097 miles, 2018 Lexus GS350

Good evening oilheads. Here are my lastest results. This fill of PP 0W20 is the same oil from the last UOA plus another 2,800 miles or so. Took the sample via a fumoto valve after draining about 1.5 qts. Although I did refill with PP 0W20 again, I'm leaning towards a Pennzoil Euro for the next fill... no other reason other than being a little curious. Still got to do a little more research though.
18 GS350 Feb 2022 redacted.jpg

Discovered I had used the wrong sized K&N filter in the cannister when I changed the oil last; the filter was too long and it twisted to fit when I screwed on the cannister housing. Here it sits next to the Purolator I was about to use, also too long. Ended up with a Fram Titanium FS9972, that was all Advance Auto had in stock, pictured next to the K&N I replaced. Felt like such a newbie... It was the first time I had changed oil while using a cannister filter, so used a little elbow grease 💪 to install the K&N filter. But the twist did not seem to compromise the oil performance... 🤷‍♂️

oil filters comparision.jpg

Feedback anyone? Recommendations on a Euro oil to use?

Last edited:
How you managed to squeeze in the wrong oil filter is beyond me. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m shocked it sealed enough to actually filter the oil and not simply let unfiltered Lube go by because it’s not fitted correctly in the housing. 😳😬 consider yourself lucky I guess. 👍🏼

If universal averages of iron are 9 on what I’m presuming is a 7,500 mile interval, I don’t know if I’d be too happy with doubling that by going only 1,500 miles more. Am I wrong about that? I guess I could be. But it seems to be happening over and over in your analysis. Are you doing a lot of spirited driving or something? Shirt trips?

I know we are only talking parts per million, but over the life of the engine to think that I’d be doubling the wear? Maybe it is a good idea to try a different oil? Or maybe it’s nit an issue at all?

How you managed to squeeze in the wrong oil filter is beyond me. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m shocked it sealed enough to actually filter the oil and not simply let unfiltered Lube go by because it’s not fitted correctly in the housing. 😳😬 consider yourself lucky I guess. 👍🏼
I googled the filter part# and looked at the replacement part guides in the store aisle and they both reflected the filters I bought... then I went to the counter and apparently there's 2 filters for this engines... a longer one for the AWD model and a shorter one for RWD... only the longer filter appears as the default replacement in searches. :(
Going to Lexus dealers websites, using the VIN returns the correct filter #... sigh... lessons learned... still learning in my 50s.

If universal averages of iron are 9 on what I’m presuming is a 7,500 mile interval, I don’t know if I’d be too happy with doubling that by going only 1,500 miles more. Am I wrong about that? I guess I could be. But it seems to be happening over and over in your analysis. Are you doing a lot of spirited driving or something? Shirt trips?

I know we are only talking parts per million, but over the life of the engine to think that I’d be doubling the wear? Maybe it is a good idea to try a different oil? Or maybe it’s nit an issue at all?
Lexus recommends a 10K ODI, not sure what interval the Univ Avgs are based on. My hope is that the relatively higher wear is due to breaking in and residual particle count still remaining in the engine, I hope to see lower wear as time goes by.

Please note: the last 2 UOAs were done on the same fill: I did not change the oil at the 6,249 UOA but left it in for another 2,800 miles. As you can see, other than the Al doubling, not much change in 2,800 miles.

Spirited driving occurs, but quite infrequently, I normally take it easy. Very few short trips, mostly 5 miles plus (unless 5 is considered short).

My next UOA shold occur in about 5-6 months after 5K... let's see what that shows.

I did wake up this morning with an oil question in my head...

The viscosity and flashpoint increased between the 6K and the 9K UOAs, that seems odd to me. What could have caused this? Maybe there was fuel present at the 6K UOA that burned off over the next 2,800 miles?

Any ideas?

Lexus recommends a 10K ODI, not sure what interval the Univ Avgs are based on. My hope is that the relatively higher wear is due to breaking in and residual particle count still remaining in the engine, I hope to see lower wear as time goes by.

Please note: the last 2 UOAs were done on the same fill: I did not change the oil at the 6,249 UOA but left it in for another 2,800 miles. As you can see, other than the Al doubling, not much change in 2,800 miles.

Spirited driving occurs, but quite infrequently, I normally take it easy. Very few short trips, mostly 5 miles plus (unless 5 is considered short).

My next UOA shold occur in about 5-6 months after 5K... let's see what that shows.
Ok, I didn't realize that you had only 28,000 miles on the vehicle, perhaps that is the reason for the iron levels being elevated? Makes sense. And it does look like it's actually trending downwards based off your first analysis.

The Fe wear rate is good, and it's coming down as the OCI matures. The other wear metals are just at noise levels.

OCI extension is doable; 11k or 12k miles is within sight, especially with TBN so strong. Theres no significant contamination to speak of.

Stick with this lube and run 'er out.

Lexus recommends a 10K ODI, not sure what interval the Univ Avgs are based on.
You can reply to the results email Blackstone sent you and ask them. They usually mention it in the comments, but not always. I've had to ask them before. I usually hear back from them within 24 hrs.

Once you know that number, you can calculate PPM/1000 miles for both UA and your results and do some comparing.

I did wake up this morning with an oil question in my head...

The viscosity and flashpoint increased between the 6K and the 9K UOAs, that seems odd to me. What could have caused this? Maybe there was fuel present at the 6K UOA that burned off over the next 2,800 miles?

Any ideas?

It also goes into some causes for flashpoint increases.

On this oil load, he dropped from 2.6ppm/1k to 2.1ppm/1k. The Fe wear rate is improving.
Continue the use of this load. The oil is not compromised and the TBN is still good.

Or dump it; that's what any other wasteful BITOGer would do ...

On this oil load, he dropped from 2.6ppm/1k to 2.1ppm/1k. The Fe wear rate is improving.
Continue the use of this load. The oil is not compromised and the TBN is still good.

Or dump it; that's what any other wasteful BITOGer would do ...

How do we know For A 100% CERTAIN FACT that FE wear rate is dropping from only the aged oil magically performing better as it oxidizes and nears expiration and not from any other influence like say… oh I don’t know, the oil filter slowly clogging up and filtering out more metal as the miles rack on? 🧐🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Because of the SAE study that Ford/Conoco did; SAE 2007-01-4133.
It's not the filter effect. Its the TCB maturing.
This study shows that the TCB matures and wear rates drop, all the way out to 15k miles.
And that is 100% echoed in the tens of thousands of UOAs I've studied in statistical analysis.

But, does it matter? Whether it's the oil or the filter, the combined effect is desirable.
Run it out.

I sold my last Toyota after 19 years and 340K miles. At this rate I'll have this car for another 27 years if I'm to hit 300K. The rest of the car will likely fall apart before this engine gives out.

Back