Pennz LL 15w-40, VW 2.0L 8V, 4800 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previous UOA

this is the first time in the car's 95k miles that it has ever consumed oil, so it's really odd that it would be with an HDEO. i only had to add .5qt at 3500 miles into the interval, so no big deal.

code:

Al 2

Fe 5

Cu 8

Pb 4

Mo 16

Ni 1

K 2

Si 5

Na 2

Ca 2902

Mg 26

Ph 941

Zn 1201

visc 80.3

flash 385

fuel 0.5

insol 0.3%

TBN 3.4

from how clear and light-colored it was, i suspected it was the new formulation with no moly, and it appears i was correct.

this car definitely likes HDEOs, this and the schaeffer's did the best. i put in M1 0w40 at this drain, but will probably never have that analyzed since i've replaced this car with a new subaru. were i keeping this car, i think i'd probably just go for 10k drain intervals.

any comments appreciated, thanks.

-michael

Certainly a good report. Too bad you are getting rid of it
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Michael SR:
since i've replaced this car with a new subaru...were i keeping this car, i think i'd probably just go for 10k drain intervals.

You selling this car? If you are, any details?

Okay gurus help me out here...

I followed the links and read the posts.

It seems that the Pennzoil (now owned by Shell) is taking it on the chin for removing the moly from their Long Life 15W40 truck oil... If I read right, the subject oil of this thread is likely just repackaged Shell Rotella 15W40. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
blush.gif

So the lack of moly is supposed to make the PZ LL not such a good oil anymore.

Okay.

This UOA would indicate otherwise, no??

This UOA looks as good as any I've read. Beats the **** out of that Redline 10W30 UOA that appeared today.

I realize this is only one UOA (and yes, the Redline UOA is only one as well), but it appears that... dare we suggest... moly (in gobs) isn't really necessary for a great oil?

Just wondering...

Dan

fuel tanker man, I completely agree with your assessment. It's a shame to see the true PZ LL formula go away, but if the replacement is just as good with or without moly, then it's fine by me.

I ran the "new" LL formula recently and it seemed quite comparable to the Delo 400 that I hold in high regard.

Perhaps this is a rare case where product consolidation isn't a bad thing for the consumer?

Moly is WAY overblown. I'm sure well maybe NOT so sure that it doesn't hurt anything....but just hucking moly in an oil does NOT make it a good oil.

Amsoil is in no great rush to add soluble moly to their oils. Despite all their bluster, BS, arcane, asinine and otherwise incomprehensible public statements, I truly think if moly was the wonder panacea as perceived by some otherwise learned scholars, one or two additive companies would have convinced Al by now.

oh sorry, decent report metals seem a bit high for such a short run but really no worries and could be mostly from driving style.

Bodes well for my 50/50 Ams/Pennz OIL 15W-40 mix. I was hoping my Pennz has Mo
rolleyes.gif
but I dunno which formula I actually have. To be honest Pennzoil CS sucks...they won't EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE my emails!!!

FTM don't get me wrong - the numbers aren't HIGH. Engine looks pretty good. Taking into consideration the low Si, we have seen lower numbers on the same engine at higher OCI miles, that's all.

I've said this in other post, but I will say it again. Pennzoil Long Life 15W40 is NOT repackaged Shell Rotella T 15W40. It is closer in formulation to the Shell Rimula 15W40. I don't work on the commercial side of the business so I don't know why they changed the formulation, but I wish they had not.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
we have seen lower numbers on the same engine at higher OCI miles, that's all.

but, different cars, different drivers, different conditions, etc.

i think the way to put this UOA in perspective is to point out that same car, same driver, same miles, same routes, etc, the pennzoil did at least as well as GC, and within whispering distance of schaeffer's #700.

what i didn't like, though, was the low TBN. but, i guess we can't really directly compare TBN between different oils, since it doesn't tell us anything about its retention.

-michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back