Pennsylvania grade crude

Did you open your eyes
Quaker State did not dye their non detergent oil, which is what was tested in the video. Nor did they dye their detergent oil, or Super Blend or Deluxe. In the video, the oil does have a slight greenish hue to it. It is not a dark green imparted by a dye. Why not just let this one go and let us enjoy ourselves?
Some people like to troll.

The only oil I'm aware of that uses Group I Pennsylvania crude is Driven GP-1.

Penngrade-1 does not use Pennsylvania crude. FTIR analysis does not reflect it. They could be adding it at like a 1% concentration just so they can still market it but it's definitely not the primary base oil. Penngrade in insistent that their formula has not changed, but ARG has not sold any Group I base oil to D-A Lubricants in years, and Lubrizol discontinued their additive package in 2019 so they're lying about that.

The Group I Pennsylvania crude still has it's place. It seems to work well in nitrous-powered drag racing engines likely due to the high pressure-viscosity coefficient at low temperatures. The additive response is also really good so it works great as a break-in oil. For anything that'll see >200*F sustained, it's not really desirable. Driven GP-1 has shown more power in dyno testing compared to other Driven oils and API oils. It's a majority Group I with 15-30% Group III, ~1300 ppm Zn/P, and ~350 ppm Mo. It's definitely not an oil you want to run past ~5k miles though. It's home is in classic cars with old flat tappet cam engines while also having success in drag racing.
I personally think GP-1 is a top notch product and I'm glad Driven picked up the ball when DA Lubricants dropped it. I sold and recommended a lot of Amsoil Dominator synthetic racing oil, and it's a fantastic product too, but if I had a flat tappet hot Rod now I'd use GP-1. 🙂

I did that and just received Shell’s reply. They said since QS is now owned by Shell they do not have that kind of specific information on where the base stocks originate. So obviously, they didn’t want to answer the inquiry truthfully. I kind of expected the vague sort of answer that they gave. Just not sure why. The “Quaker” state is Pennsylvania. Maybe they are still afraid of the old “wax” myths.
They would not want you to know if they bought it from a competitor either …

Maybe @G-MAN can chime in.
I searched but found nothing online to back his claim. Not saying it doesn't exist...

Below is from 2007

1615231901833.png

Actually some people post stuff for which they don't know even the most basic chemistry or physics. Yet they post it as fact with no supporting evidence whatsoever.

That's far more common here.
Fact is the oil has a greenish color to it. What more needs to be said? If your a chemist then you find out why. Till then stop your endless trolling.

interesting post for sure!! reading a lot i have seen that the ability to make a good FINISHED oil from lesser crudes with todays technology is a driving force.for fake synthetics! a local independent sold an oil branded as United Lubricants in the 70's i used it hoping to cut consumption in my crappy GM 307 small block + it WAS clearly GREEN!!! on the paraffinic oil thing i tore down a small block chev at a friends garage for a rebuild prior to the "hot-tank" + filled a 16 oz coffee can with SLUDGE, + when the owner i never seen before came in i asked, you run pennzoil!! he replied how did you know!!! in defense i did not know his care or not for that engine!!

The only oil I'm aware of that uses Group I Pennsylvania crude is Driven GP-1.

Penngrade-1 does not use Pennsylvania crude. FTIR analysis does not reflect it. They could be adding it at like a 1% concentration just so they can still market it but it's definitely not the primary base oil. Penngrade in insistent that their formula has not changed, but ARG has not sold any Group I base oil to D-A Lubricants in years, and Lubrizol discontinued their additive package in 2019 so they're lying about that.

The Group I Pennsylvania crude still has it's place. It seems to work well in nitrous-powered drag racing engines likely due to the high pressure-viscosity coefficient at low temperatures. The additive response is also really good so it works great as a break-in oil. For anything that'll see >200*F sustained, it's not really desirable. Driven GP-1 has shown more power in dyno testing compared to other Driven oils and API oils. It's a majority Group I with 15-30% Group III, ~1300 ppm Zn/P, and ~350 ppm Mo. It's definitely not an oil you want to run past ~5k miles though. It's home is in classic cars with old flat tappet cam engines while also having success in drag racing.
My local oil distributor told me this exact same thing, when I picked up some penngrade from them. I ran it once and switched to valvoline vr1 in my old impala

As I recall that was because back in those days the rumors were that Pennzoil and Quarker State were "waxed based oil" and they were reputed to "turn back into wax in your crankcase".

It was of course nonsense. Pennsylvania crude oil was known to be a "paraffinic crude oil", which was actually a good thing, but people thought "paraffin = wax" so the idea that PA crude was "wax based" arose. Sludgging in engines was a real problem back in the day. So whenever someone running Pennzoil or QS had a sludgging issue they invariably blamed it on "that ****ed wax based oil".

These sorts of urban legends are hard to kill off.

I heard of lot of this nonsense when working for a quik-lube featuring Quaker State...

Only oil I recall ever being PA crude was old QS from Oil City PA. And EMBLEM motor oil from United Refining up in Bradford PA. Dad has like 10 2.5 gallon jugs unopened from 2003 era. His old natural gas drilling company in Dubois PA used that oil in 15w40 grade in pickups to D10 dozers to MACK “R” model rigs

When I was a teenager, (56 now) my dad always used qs so I did too. Opened the valve covers to adjust valves on our families bought from new 72 buick lesabre 350 and it was full of wax. Also ran 2 buick 350s so hot they vapor locked (thermostat failure in the lesabre, high rpm oil loss on a 70 skylark) both ran fine for 100000 mile later when I sold them. Wax is good when the blocks are red hot.

Only oil I recall ever being PA crude was old QS from Oil City PA. And EMBLEM motor oil from United Refining up in Bradford PA. Dad has like 10 2.5 gallon jugs unopened from 2003 era. His old natural gas drilling company in Dubois PA used that oil in 15w40 grade in pickups to D10 dozers to MACK “R” model rigs
Kendall and Amalie were Pennsylvania motor oils up until at least the mid 90s, when both were produced at the Kendall refinery in Bradford Pennsylvania. They were brands of the Witco chemical company. The Kendall refinery produced lubricants from Pennsylvania crude that was sourced both locally and from veins in the northeast United states and portions of Canada. Pennsylvania crude is a type of sweet crude oil found throughout the northeast region. Its called Pennsylvania crude because that's where the first reserve was discovered. The American Refining Group, who used to produce Brad Penn, owns and operates the refinery now and produces Driven's GP-1 in house using their own group 1 blended with group 3 basestock.

Back