Pennsylvania grade crude

PennGrade 1 claims to still use Pennsylvania crude. It is part of D-A Lubricants, who bought out Brad Penn a few years back.

"It is the same unique Pennsylvania Grade base oil cut and the specially selected high-zinc, high-phosphorus formulation that’s been known and trusted by high-performance engine builders and vehicle owners for decades."

I remember sniffing Havoline and Quaker State bottles at Western Auto and you could really smell the difference, the Quaker State smelled almost sweet. As a side note, don’t squeeze an oil bottle too hard to get the smell out, or you‘ll inadvertently end up with a nostril full of Havoline 10w40. Just take my word on this.

PennGrade 1 claims to still use Pennsylvania crude. It is part of D-A Lubricants, who bought out Brad Penn a few years back.

"It is the same unique Pennsylvania Grade base oil cut and the specially selected high-zinc, high-phosphorus formulation that’s been known and trusted by high-performance engine builders and vehicle owners for decades."

Thanks do it myself. I worked in the Oil City,PA Pennzoil refinery until it closed in 2000. When we went out of business, the old Quakerstate Congo refinery in Newell, WV became the main PA grade crude buyer. A company from Mississippi called Ergon bought the Congo. I am wondering if Quakerstate and perhaps Wolf’s Head are still blended and bottled there.

Back when refining technology was much more primitive, Pennsylvania crude made for a superior product, but with today's Group II and better oils, does it really matter? I doubt it.

Back when refining technology was much more primitive, Pennsylvania crude made for a superior product, but with today's Group II and better oils, does it really matter? I doubt it.
Far from “primitive” Ripcord. And that’s why I’m wondering if Quakerstate is still made from PA grade crude.

Far from “primitive” Ripcord. And that’s why I’m wondering if Quakerstate is still made from PA grade crude.
The way I understand it, the type of crude (sweet vs sour) that base stocks are made from is not super relevant any longer. Back in the day when all motor oil was made with base stocks created via sulfuric acid and clay processing, the type of crude that you started with made a difference in the quality of the motor oil produced. Back then Pennsylvania crude oils had the advantage of a higher viscosity index than Texas sour due to a different mix of hydrocarbon molecules. Today, however, with the advent of severe hydroprocessiing, catalytic de-waxing, etc, the type of crude you start with is not really a factor in the quality of the end product.

I remember sniffing Havoline and Quaker State bottles at Western Auto and you could really smell the difference, the Quaker State smelled almost sweet. As a side note, don’t squeeze an oil bottle too hard to get the smell out, or you‘ll inadvertently end up with a nostril full of Havoline 10w40. Just take my word on this.
The best response of the month reward

These days with synthetic gaining market share, does it matter much? Back when I took an auto shop class in college in the 80's the instructor said to avoid PA oils like Quaker State and Penzoil. Forgot why now.

As I recall that was because back in those days the rumors were that Pennzoil and Quarker State were "waxed based oil" and they were reputed to "turn back into wax in your crankcase".

It was of course nonsense. Pennsylvania crude oil was known to be a "paraffinic crude oil", which was actually a good thing, but people thought "paraffin = wax" so the idea that PA crude was "wax based" arose. Sludgging in engines was a real problem back in the day. So whenever someone running Pennzoil or QS had a sludgging issue they invariably blamed it on "that ****ed wax based oil".

These sorts of urban legends are hard to kill off.

The way I understand it, the type of crude (sweet vs sour) that base stocks are made from is not super relevant any longer. Back in the day when all motor oil was made with base stocks created via sulfuric acid and clay processing, the type of crude that you started with made a difference in the quality of the motor oil produced. Back then Pennsylvania crude oils had the advantage of a higher viscosity index than Texas sour due to a different mix of hydrocarbon molecules. Today, however, with the advent of severe hydroprocessiing, catalytic de-waxing, etc, the type of crude you start with is not really a factor in the quality of the end product.
That must have been way,way back in the day. When I worked at the refinery we did solvent dewaxing and ”severe” hydotreating.

Why don’t you contact them and ask?
I did that and just received Shell’s reply. They said since QS is now owned by Shell they do not have that kind of specific information on where the base stocks originate. So obviously, they didn’t want to answer the inquiry truthfully. I kind of expected the vague sort of answer that they gave. Just not sure why. The “Quaker” state is Pennsylvania. Maybe they are still afraid of the old “wax” myths.

I did that and just received Shell’s reply. They said since QS is now owned by Shell they do not have that kind of specific information on where the base stocks originate. So obviously, they didn’t want to answer the inquiry truthfully. I kind of expected the vague sort of answer that they gave. Just not sure why. The “Quaker” state is Pennsylvania. Maybe they are still afraid of the old “wax” myths.
If you can't get an answer from the people who produce the product then I'm not sure I'd believe something posted to a public Internet board. But maybe that's just me.

If you can't get an answer from the people who produce the product then I'm not sure I'd believe something posted to a public Internet board. But maybe that's just me.
I actually would like to buy QS if I knew it was made from PA crude. Have always been a Pennzoil guy since I worked for them even though they abandoned PA base stocks long ago.

Back