Penn Plat 5W30, 7,580 miles on oil, 2017 Civic 1.5T

The Civic's been getting a little more mileage now, about 2K per month, so I missed my intended interval at 6K. Looks like the 7,500 mile interval is just as boring as a 6K ODI. Although Blackstone suggests a 10K interval, my intention is to stick with 6K.

Silicone is still on the high side even though I changed the air filter at the last OCI.
K is down, but what's up with the Moly, Ca, Mg aand Zn... did PP change their formulation, or did I look at the wrong oil bottle when I did the last oil change?

This thread will likely be a real yawner... so thanks for reading. And your feedback is always welcome. Cheers!

1654229201928.png

If I had a small high revving DI Turbo engine, I would consider some type of Euro or fancier oil. Some may argue low SAPS as well ... and/or shorter oci.
I would research Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Euro. I think they have L and C3. Not sure which one meets what I said.

Not an expert on uoa but if fuel dilution reduces viscosity and you still have a thick(er) oil, doesn't it mean excess oxidation?

Last edited:
We'd need to see this same batch of oil's VOA(from the JUG or qts) and compare it to this UOA to see if it started out thicker(higher CSt) because it looks as though it lost nothing in that area. No shearing at all! :unsure: I'd stick with your original plan for OCI's.

These Honda turbo engines UOAs sure do look different than their NA engines.

did PP change their formulation, or did I look at the wrong oil bottle when I did the last oil change?
Not only does it not look like PP, it doesn't look like any 5W30 that I've seen VOAs of. That combination of very low moly and magnesium and high Ca, Ph and Zn looks more like a 0W40 or 5W40 Euro oil. In fact, the moly is so low I'd say the 9 PPM is entirely carry-over oil from the previous OCI and this oil has zero moly.

I'd reserve judgement on whether the oil has thickened until you can figure out exactly which oil this is. For all we know, it's actually a 40 grade oil and has sheared down to 11.23 cSt.

With the low Moly, low mag, high viscosity that looks very much like Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30.

With the low Moly, low mag, high viscosity that looks very much like Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w-30.

That has to be what this is, OP used Euro L by mistake thinking it was regular platinum, if that's the case then maybe the OP should stick with Euro L on 5-6k runs like they said, as the flashpoint here indicates a good deal of fuel dillution and Blackstone is always the worst at under reporting fuel.

Yes, Euro L is a better choice. It's also c3 & dexos for di, turbo & lspi thing ...

Last edited:
Are you sure you didn't use Euro L 5w-30. I use it too and the bottle is pretty much the same as the regular pp on the shelf and that looks like the euro L additive pack.

It also explains why the TBN is higher than his previous runs with fewer miles.

Silicone is still on the high side even though I changed the air filter at the last OCI.
The Si is right on par with Universal Averages. I think it's fine. I bet your miles is higer than UA too, so in that case, it's less Si per 1000 mi than UA.

Are you sure you didn't use Euro L 5w-30. I use it too and the bottle is pretty much the same as the regular pp on the shelf and that looks like the euro L additive pack.
I don't think it was Euro L. I remember looking for Euro L in Wally World but could not find the weight I wanted. That jug from the fill is long gone but I doubt it was a Euro L oil, because I would have at least bought 2 jugs. All I have in my garage are a few of these:

1654314389181.png

Since Dexos 1G2 the API/ILSAC varieties of Pennzoil Platinum have had significantly less calcium and more magnesium, the old SN version had more Calcium closer to 2500ppm, if that was a Pennzoil product that came from a modern jug like the only product that matches the UOA is Euro L.

Back