Pella vs. Softlite sliding patio door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any experiences with either Pella or Softlite sliding patio doors? I'm looking to replace the existing in-swing door with a slider. We really liked both doors, and both had a lot of good features to recommend them. Specific models are the Pella 350 series and Softlite Kingsroyal. The Pella installer was very detailed about how they would install, while the Softlite dealer gave a more generic installed cost. Both would be vinyl-framed argon-filled low-e double glass without blinds or grilles. The specifications for u-factor and condensation resistance are similar. The Pella is quoted about $1000 more than the Softlite installed, although we're expecting the Softlite's price to increase if they encounter any difficulties during installation.

Experiences with either door?

While i have purchased neither, a contractor friend told me Softlite was the best value. Which means if you pay more you MAY get more, but not necessarily.

I installed 22 Pella windows and a patio door in my current house; and a few of them in a cottage. I'm happy with them. I have no knowledge of the other brand.

When shopping for vinyl windows I came to the conclusion that Softlite, Okna, and one company other who slips my mind are top of the line. There glass technology and drainage is the best. Period.

Pella makes a fine vinyl window, but it doesn't hold a flame to Oknas or Softlite. I ended up putting in 22 OKNA 500's. I picked the installers brain as they contract for all window companies and they agreed with my findings. They also spoke negatively of the big box store window brands. Jeldwin, Pella, Anderson, etc.

If this holds true to sliders, I don't know.

There are some window and door forums that I learned a tremendous amount of info on.

Do the research.

Last edited:
We were leaning toward the Softlite based on seal design,its slightly better ratings for the glass pack, and $1000 in our pocket. Their door looks like it will better survive getting jumped on by our Labs.

Yep, the various vinyl window forums have been quite helpful in learning what to look for and what to ignore. Installation is everything, so we asked what to expect with the installation. We'll have to put in some of our own finishing work with the Softlite, mainly painting the interior trim. That's fine, I can swing a brush to save a chunk of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back